Ever used OVO Energy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Many years ago I had problems switching energy suppliers, so I've avoided it and stuck with the big mame suppliers.

However it seems switching to OVO could save me around 30% on my combined fuel bill and it seems their reputation is surprisingly good (based upon Money Saving Expert website). An added bonus is that for £5 per month you can opt for 100% renewable energy.

Anyone every used them, and able to share feedback? Too good to be true?

www.ovoenergy.com

I switched away from the big ones to First Utility no problems and a great saving. Ovo seem to have a good reputation on the consumer sites. Also someone was telling me about a new company doing as much energy as you want for a fixed monthly fee but can't remember their name.

I've considered switching to them twice in the last half a dozen years but each time I read a fair few bad stories and been put off.

I'd be interested to see the consensus of this thread as things stand now!

Switched to OVO in April - very straightforward to do. Estimated our monthly payments on what we'd paid the previous year less about 10-15%. Even at that, we're now about £300ish in credit (although there's still the winter months to go). Also, if you overpay you get paid interest on the overpayment (3% IIRC) and this is then used to lower your subsequent payments.

We're with OVO. Can't speak of them highly enough. The switch was easy-peasy...basically I had to do nothing, it just happened. And their website is full of little tricks to compare your usage against the norm. Very very good.

Only difference is now get a monthly email to read the meters. Saving a fortune over Scottish Hydro who I used to think were good.

I'm going to switch, thanks all :thumb:

I'll keep you posted.

Switched to them May 2014, no problem at all and saving money to boot.

An added bonus is that for £5 per month you can opt for 100% renewable energy.

www.ovoenergy.com

How do they do that when they wont be running their own gas/leccy feeds direct to your property?

It's got nothing to do with where the leccy actually comes from. Call-me-Dave gives it to those nice Chinese people to come here and build a new nuclear reactor and also flood the market with cheap steel so that the UK rolling mills all shut down thereby saving him from a red face when the current generators can't cope with winter demand. Win-win for him and you're paying for it. :rock:

We use OVO and have done for over a year. No problems.
Good website with plenty of data and graphs etc if that's of interest.

Is there such a product as 100% renewable?

we are also with ovo no horror stories here either and saving money win win

Switched away from them earlier this year to a cheaper supplier.

If cost is the issue I wouldn't just switch without completing proper due diligence.

I forget the precise details but your existing provider will have made available the true cost of a unit under your tariff (or any of their others that you could switch to) so that you can compare the true cost of a competitor and make an informed decision.

Just changing because the new firm sounds like they might offer a better deal does not do it for me.

The wheels are in motion.

Sounds too good to be true - let us know how you get on......I must have a look

I've been with Ovo for a couple of years now. Absolutely no problems and just simple cheap tariffs unlike the plethora of tariffs that the other suppliers have. Had a smart meter installed free earlier this year which tells me what my usage is at any time and automatically sends in readings monthly. I regularly check prices from other suppliers but not seen any cheaper. The 3% interest on balances is a bonus.

I switched to Ovo a couple of years ago. The whole thing has turned into a nightmare with Ovo changing terms of contract without telling me. And with customer services and another department providing contradicting information about who was to blame. Matter now with Ofgem.

From what I understand, Ovo are great when things are going well but totally incompetent when problems become complicated. Very little communication between various departments.

If cost is the issue I wouldn't just switch without completing proper due diligence.

I forget the precise details but your existing provider will have made available the true cost of a unit under your tariff (or any of their others that you could switch to) so that you can compare the true cost of a competitor and make an informed decision.

Just changing because the new firm sounds like they might offer a better deal does not do it for me.

It's not rocket science.

Get your annual usage figures from your current gas & leccy supplier & get an accurate quote from everybody. If you haven't changed supplier for a few years you'll be amazed how much you can save.

Cheap Energy Club - Compare Gas & Electric and Save

Last edited:
My son is with ovo and is convinced he's got the best deal available for his total usage, he also says their service levels seem good.
I've just agreed to swap from sse Atlantic to British Gas, this is due to a multiple user negotiation just completed in m/side, I am reliably informed that I will save £420 per year. Can't wait to monitor/compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom