EVO Magazine DMS 535d review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sure is good.

Hmm, if only DMS could have met their claims with my remap :( I got value for money with the what I ended up paying, but I would rather have paid the full wack and got a decent improvement!

Next time someone talks to Rob, see if he has managed to crack the 230K better now!!!

Mambo said:
From Evo magazine June 2005

DMS 535d Review

Well, my appetite had already been whetted by the demo in the standard 535d - I ordered one straightaway..........but this has really emphasised the significance of the DMS conversion and it's quite obviously a no-brainer for those of us who already have / will have this particular model. 5.5secs to 60.........? 13 secs to 100mph.....? 170mph...? From a diesel, family car...? Geeeeezus!

In the article itself, the (blind) diesel prejudice still tarnished my reading pleasure and the claim that the 535d sounded like a Transit was plain ridiculous - the six-cyl diesels in all high-end models from BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar and Audi are ridiculously refined and smooth; the only real differences are that they sound marginally different at tickover and meatier when revved. Heck, even my 4-cyl Golf diesel is quiet and refined.........the guys at Evo are obviously a little p*ssed that a diesel car is treading on more than a few petrol-engined toes... :rolleyes:

Great link - thanks.

Sorry, chuckled away at the noise of a new shape 5 series diesel at the petrol station recently.

I'll give you fule economy, high torque, good performance and driving please, but they still sound bad outside the car at idle.

GrahamC230K said:
Sorry, chuckled away at the noise of a new shape 5 series diesel at the petrol station recently.

I'll give you fule economy, high torque, good performance and driving please, but they still sound bad outside the car at idle.

Don't be sorry.........how we feel about engine sounds is pretty subjective and while many people are accustomed to the sound of performance cars being powered by petrol engines, some of us can appreciate that because diesels sound different to their petrol counterparts, that doesn't necessarily make them sound "bad"... :)

This 5-series..........did you make a mental note of which engine was powering it? Could've been the 4-cyl, 2.0 diesel...

BearFace said:
Don't be sorry.........how we feel about engine sounds is pretty subjective and while many people are accustomed to the sound of performance cars being powered by petrol engines, some of us can appreciate that because diesels sound different to their petrol counterparts, that doesn't necessarily make them sound "bad"... :)

This 5-series..........did you make a mental note of which engine was powering it? Could've been the 4-cyl, 2.0 diesel...

Yep - could well have been a 520d (although the 6 cylinders are just as rattly !) .... although whichever engine, you do get used to the change of noise - has taken me about a year though ... only ever notice it now straight after driving something with an antiquated petrol engine :p ;) :D

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom