Evo or Octane Magazine, both or neither?

What is you motoring read?

• Evo

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Octane

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • None

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswt

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
Although I have every copy of Evo magazine from day one I find it an annoying read most of the time with too many supercars and a feeling that Evo is slightly full of itself with all that ‘Evo-ness’ b*ll*ck. (however this months issue is excellent with it's £1000 performance car article)

I’m also subscribed to Octane and I find it a more enjoyable read and even though most of the cars featured are mega money it seems to have a down-to-earth petrolhead geekiness about it far removed from the exacting standards employed by the Evo road testers.

As far as everyday motoring issues and benchmark road tests go Autocar will always reign supreme IMO.

The last two Christmasses have seen me receive Top Gear magazine subscriptions, which is okay but is a bit yoof for my liking. Still, it means I keep broadly up to date with what's what, plus Clarkson's column is funny.

I used to subscribe to Evo but like Chriswt found it all a bit pretentious from time to time, not to mention you could guess the outcome of the 'reviews' before you read them.

I might have to give Octane a go!

I subscribe to Evo, and have every issue except number 1. I am starting to get a little bored of it lately though, far too many supercars featured these days.

I also buy Practical Performance Car, which is a very good read. The articles on their Rover SD1 with the 27 litre V12 are quite entertaining.

I also usually buy Classic American Magazine, as I have a 60's muscle car fetish. Mmmm... '68 Charger...:cool:

I also buy Practical Performance Car, which is a very good read. The articles on their Rover SD1 with the 27 litre V12 are quite entertaining.

I would never subscribe to that type of magazine but I'll always check out the latest issues in WH Smiths (when the missus is shopping!!) and do find myself buying the odd issue. They can make excellent reads.

I love reading about low cost ways of getting into powerful cars.

I've read about that SD1 before a few years ago. It's crazy but top marks to the owner/creator!

Another Autocar reader here. I don't think the others come close.

It's become more 'entertainment' and 'arty' in recent years which has diluted the 'factual', but I guess that's necessary to ensure it survives.

Autocar is - or certainly was - on the reading list for a very well regarded Automotive Engineering degree course, alongside other automotive literary classics like the Bosch Automotive Handbook. I think this reflects the quality and reputation the magazine has - or had - compared to the rest.

Autocar for me too, not sure I like the way that have tried to turn their contributors like Harris and Sutcliffe into celebrities like they're a low-rent Clarkson and Hammond

Having said that it manages to strike a reasonable balance between practical and aspirational cars and entertainment and education.

I have a Top Gear subscription as an Xmas present, occasionally buy MB Enthusiast.

I used to subscribe to Car in fact had issues back to 80s but don't bother now and scrapped all those old magazines when I moved - scandalous I know :(

Autocar for me too, not sure I like the way that have tried to turn their contributors like Harris and Sutcliffe into celebrities like they're a low-rent Clarkson and Hammond

Having said that it manages to strike a reasonable balance between practical and aspirational cars and entertainment and education.

For me Autocar rules the roost as I've been read it since I was a wee nipper (well looking at the pictures!! :) ).

Car is nowhere near as good as it's heyday in the late 80s, early 90s, although it is improving.

Autocar is still the best by far.

Classic & Sportscar is an interesting browse when I'm in the supermarket.

Never been a fan of Autocar, it seems to be full of pictures and tiny snippetts of (old) info and a 19 page spread about how they drove 4 expensive cars in the rain zzz.

Autoexpress for me, its down to earth, full of facts and a good read.

Never been a fan of Autocar, it seems to be full of pictures and tiny snippetts of (old) info and a 19 page spread about how they drove 4 expensive cars in the rain zzz.

Autoexpress for me, its down to earth, full of facts and a good read.

I always thought Autoexpress was Autocar's sister magazine. I may be wrong?

I always thought Autoexpress was Autocar's sister magazine. I may be wrong?

I've not read Auto Express for years - although my barber has quite a collection. It always struck me as being a consumer type magazine - in the mould of Which? and What Car? - which turned me off.

I believe What Car is a published by the same publisher as Autocar.

Good job we're all different.

PS Shame the Autocar forum is rubbish, and always has been!! :D

I buy Classic & Sportscar if something on the front catches my attention.

I like old cars and still have a hankering for either an old Aston Martin or an old Ferrari. - I just have pictures of Top Gear's Italian Supercar for Under £10,000 rattling around in my mind...even if you spend a lot more!

I buy Classic & Sportscar if something on the front catches my attention.

I like old cars and still have a hankering for either an old Aston Martin or an old Ferrari. - I just have pictures of Top Gear's Italian Supercar for Under £10,000 rattling around in my mind...even if you spend a lot more!

I do the same but there's only so many times that I can read a TR6 buying guide...having said that I still end up buying it.

Octane has a Lotus Esprit buying guide and so the frist thing I did this morning was check out Autotrader and Pistonheads for any bargain however, it seems that everyone who's selling an Esprit also read Octane too!!! :confused:

I used to subscribe to Car in fact had issues back to 80s but don't bother now and scrapped all those old magazines when I moved - scandalous I know :(

Me too, Car magazine in the '70's was just heaven and so different to all the others at the time.

Car was truly inspirational - now it's just like Top Gear (TV) and full of fast this, fast that, boring after 12 months.

But, it's good to read through for the decent photography, especially as many of their road tests are around Peterborough (scenic I know) and so I can play "spot the road/village/town". EMAP ask my permission quite often to photo-shoot in the car parks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom