EV's and battery damage & other woes means I wont buy one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
I left work about 7 years before my official retirement age.
I therefore have a lot more time on my hands to surf the net and last few years, watch
loads of YouTubers sharing good and suspect advice/etc

The main reason would not by a EV is the touch screens and lack of buttons imo is dangerous.
The other that has concerned me since the days when our government started giving our many
away for discounts on EV's and thought, there must be a catch. The lack of charging points is one
and then the lack of power or electricity available at a cost-effective price
Then there is the price of new EV's that are considered to be 'prestige cars.' Overpriced etc.

More recently and a lot more of these stories around the usa as they have many more EV's and had a head start is
the fact how easily a battery can get damaged, even when you have a minor collision with debris on the road.

Yesterday, watching tv at one of our children's places I was watching a YouTube effort from USA where
someone had paid for an ordinary-looking Hyundai The hit something lying on the road.
Took car to the main dealer as a precaution - light marks on the protective shield but was advised the distance between the shield
and the main battery pack was damaged as witnessed via a 45mm hole with a bolt. New batter required for 60k usa dollars - this included 1500 labour.
The car was a year old was 50k new. The owner was advised that car would lose the warranty and I think they said it would not be safe/etc not sure and insurance
could be impacted. (NB in fairness this could be applied to most EV's the youtubers reckoned but watch the video to draw own conclusions as I may have misunderstood some of it)

Link to viedo below

EV battery 60k dollars

Canada, not US. And news articles include the following information:

“Jennifer McCarthy, Hyundai Canada’s national manager of public relations, said that “comprehensive diagnostic tests were not completed on the vehicle … (and the vehicle) … was scrapped by the customer before these diagnostic procedures could be completed, precluding a definitive assessment of the required service.”

She said the estimate provided to Sooch “was not representative of the likely actual cost in this case.””

Not quite as reported, then

Was considering this, never been or looked at an EV in the flesh
I only buy cash - eV is definitely out of the question.
The current car was the first ever diesel I bought and regret it as we do loads of small journeys EG less than 2 miles.

The gle petrol version was the AMG proper - I did not want to spend that kind of money on a car.

I have an IONIQ 5, and a price of over £30k GBP for a new battery (and that's before labour cost) is staggering.

In my case the car is on a lease, the battery is covered by an 8 year warranty, and obviously the car is insured, so I am not personally worried.

But this kind of price could lead to two things, the first is premiums going through the roof, the second is cars getting scrapped relatively early e.g. at around 10 years old.

One can only hope that battery prices will come down in the next few years.

Last edited:
My guess is that there will be a whole new business repairing EV batteries cost effectively once they are out of the manufacturer 5-8 year warranty. I would expect the failure mode to require one or two cells to be replaced - not a whole battery. There is a lot of commonality in batteries once you get the covers off - the Korean cars use Samsung, a lot of others use Panasonic and then there's the Chinese suppliers - so the repair industry is not going to be a hard business to run from a spares stocking pov.
I guess it is normal for people to be sceptical of change - it was probably the same when the car replaced the horse - how are the blacksmiths going to repair the car when it breaks down and it will need a new engine every year whereas the horse lives for many years.....
EVs do have some very good use cases, they are becoming more affordable (especially used) and can be very cheap to run. On the downside they will tend to be newer designs with more screens and touch controls which won't appeal to many, the depreciation will probably continue to be high as battery technology improves and costs reduce.
Probably not a good idea to make decisions based on social media; better to talk to people who actually own one or join EV forums to see what's going on.

My bet is on EVs being banned and the government going back round saying that Diesel is the future.

:D That might suit some people.

However ....

I think what we are more likely to see is manufacturers being able to use the additional time to improve their offerings - in terms of product and price.

As more charging infrastructure gets established then that will improve confidence in more potential customers.

The irony might that as we close in on 2030 the market well have turned under its own initiative and the market for ICEs will peter out naturally well before 2035.

Had ride in a Tesla a few days ago. Went like stink, ride too hard.
A serious problem is the huge Ipad screen is invisible in certain light conditions.
Nothing but finger smears and too much distractions when you can see it.
No thanks, I stick to my old CLK.

Forgot, the self drive system does not work, it failed to follow the sat nav blue line at a roundabout.

The EQE is my first EV so high cost and hassle to get set up with a home charger but now it’s in that’s a one off problem not to be repeated.

Insurance cost is high but (around £1000) not helped by rising premiums in general and our previous ICE Mercedes being stolen from the driveway.

But… the deal was right, I’ll never own it even though I have the option, I know people paying more than double on both leases and pcp for similar cars or worse (one friend pays more than I do on a 5 year old Audi a6 diesel, currently in negative equity)

Running costs are low, servicing is less frequent and/or cheaper on EV in general. Zero road tax (for now). Around £7 to ‘fill up’ 300 miles.

It’s refined, well built, looks great and very quiet. I enjoy driving it and fingers crossed it will be reliable.

To summarise, for now I’m a fan. Ask me again in 6 months 😆

The irony might that as we close in on 2030 the market well have turned under its own initiative and the market for ICEs will peter out naturally well before 2035.
Why is that ironic?

"Ironic" and "literally".....both very rarely used correctly..........but I'm rubbish with grammar and punctuation myself so I can talk!!!!

Why is that ironic?

HMG taking its foot off the pedal to get there by 2035 gets to the desired destination quicker than keeping the pedal down hard for 2030.

HMG taking its foot off the pedal to get there by 2035 gets to the desired destination quicker than keeping the pedal down hard for 2030.
If I interpret that correctly, then are you suggesting that the Governmeny announcing the date change has or will accelerate uptake of EVs?

I believe that was a crowd pleaser ahead of general elections. Nothing really changed below the headline date, and so there will continue to be an increasing number of EVs produced, and fewer ICEs.

It was a fairly safe bet for the Government.

I've always said EV's will have massive problems with sufficient charging points and battery damage and re; replacement costs.
A few more big stoires where the whol pack needs replacing after a minor scrape - insurance will sky rocket again for EV's just like it has for Range Rovers. Or, insurance co's will refuse to insure or just provide ridiculous rates

My GLE does not have a stop/start button but a couple of years ago, I think I was with LV insurance they wrote to me saying shop around as premiums were likely to increase vastly - they alerted me about 3 months before renewal. I moved to another co, much better deal, SAGA ins, and paid extra for their 3-year fixed rate - just renewed for the third year and my insurance like for like as its top end is at least 180% cheaper via a quick search on thsoe money supermarket sites.

A big problem with EV's will come to light as more are sold and when we have a big incident due to snow/etc on a motorway when people can easily get stuck for 10/15 hours - most will not be able to manage to heat up the cars for the duration or drive out to safety imo and we will get hundreds of vehicles left with no charge.

For me, never really trusted the push behind EV's as its political, EG, get people to buy at sky-high prices, do give-ways of taxpayers' money with zero road tax and when enough EV's on the roads, take away discounts and slap on road tax, I don't know if the additional road tax for 3 years applies to EV's but that had been on hold since its launch - I was staggered to see the price of new small ICS cars as many mid-range modeles are close to 30ks and most larg cars have a rrp of 40k plus

It's only a matter of time before more car makers cut back on EV's and possibly concentrate on hybrids

I've always said EV's will have massive problems with sufficient charging points and battery damage and re; replacement costs.
A few more big stoires where the whol pack needs replacing after a minor scrape - insurance will sky rocket again for EV's just like it has for Range Rovers. Or, insurance co's will refuse to insure or just provide ridiculous rates

My GLE does not have a stop/start button but a couple of years ago, I think I was with LV insurance they wrote to me saying shop around as premiums were likely to increase vastly - they alerted me about 3 months before renewal. I moved to another co, much better deal, SAGA ins, and paid extra for their 3-year fixed rate - just renewed for the third year and my insurance like for like as its top end is at least 180% cheaper via a quick search on thsoe money supermarket sites.

A big problem with EV's will come to light as more are sold and when we have a big incident due to snow/etc on a motorway when people can easily get stuck for 10/15 hours - most will not be able to manage to heat up the cars for the duration or drive out to safety imo and we will get hundreds of vehicles left with no charge.

For me, never really trusted the push behind EV's as its political, EG, get people to buy at sky-high prices, do give-ways of taxpayers' money with zero road tax and when enough EV's on the roads, take away discounts and slap on road tax, I don't know if the additional road tax for 3 years applies to EV's but that had been on hold since its launch - I was staggered to see the price of new small ICS cars as many mid-range modeles are close to 30ks and most larg cars have a rrp of 40k plus

It's only a matter of time before more car makers cut back on EV's and possibly concentrate on hybrids

I can't fault any of your arguments and all the downsides that you mentioned, however by my nature I am always skeptical when someone has a one-sided view. Do EVs have no benefits whatsoever? It would have been easier for me to agree with you if the conclusion was made on balance and after weighing all the pros and cons. If you cannot find a single benefit - to the owner, or to society, or both - then either EVs are one of the worst ideas ever conceived by humans, or your view on the matter is biased. Personal opinion.

Driving for 25 years and have never got stuck on a motorway for more than 1-2 hours and that’s probably only happened once or twice due to an accident ahead.

EVs £40k plus registered 2025 on will be hit with the expensive car supplement for the first 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom