Ex Police Sprinter with Tachograph removed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nickmoore19682

Car
Sprinter 413cdi 2002 2.2 Auto4.6 tonne
I have an ex police 314 cdi 2002 2.2 auto. The tacho has been removed and I have the following problems:
1. TCO light comes on
2. Wheel sensor light comes on
3. No odometer reading ( shows ----------)
4. No speedo although tachometer is fine.
5. No response via ODB port.

I would think that being ex police it will have been heavily adapted for the job. Simply removing the tacho will involve lots of electrical connections being disconnected, possibly leaving open circuits or maybe missing sensors. Lack of response from the OBD port rather points to a break in the can bus circuit. A good auto sparky may be your best bet as you have no data from the OBD.

Sounds like you need to get it scanned for faults . Did you remove the tacho yourself? If so may be worth reconnecting and see if the faults disappear. Alternatively you could drive it to Bristol , park outside the central Police station and shortly thereafter put in a claim for a burnt out van. Hopefully one of our forum members will be knowledgeable enough to prevent such drastic action!

I am told the tacho installation involves programming the binnacle to accept speed and odo info from tacho and also route odb communication through tacho. With tacho removed prior to binnacle being reprogrammed to standard it woud seem i'm screwed. Is tis correct? Is there a workaround?

Whoa Sir Lancelots.
Not all instrument clusters are the same !
In short there's oudles of 'em according to wheelbase etc etc !
FIRST!
Get the part number from an MB UK dealer .
On this side the clusters are obsolete, but you can find good used take off's , ONCE you have identified the right part.

Now you WILL have to consult a dealer who MIGHT be willing re-prog it for you so that it will shake hands with your chassis.
Normally we suck and blow the program info from the bad cluster to the donor using something like Kess & Xentry for $250. (If you have the old one available !!!)
If the cluster is within the same chassis spec band you can simply install it & 9 times out of 10 (ten) it will communicate BUT it will make the odometer find its own number of miles recorded .Sometimes this will present a problem both with the customer & authorities.
The one risk is that the donor being "used" might be defective and cause a parasitic draw .
Also you might have to have the van subjected to T21 recall which I am not sure is universal or US only for us.
All the best
Tuercas Viejas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom