Examples of silly, stupid or selfish behaviour in the current environment..

• Thread starter Deleted member 149005
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is another example of some police forces trying to make laws up by themselves, rather than enforcing laws as legislated by parliament.

Quite likely, although I've seen similar from other forces today so I wonder what their source is. Have you seen full details of the new legislation?

This is another example of some police forces trying to make laws up by themselves, rather than enforcing laws as legislated by parliament.
Really? I thought that the rules now forbid travel except for a few essential purposes such as going to work or hospital. I don’t remember driving somewhere to walk the dog being included in the list of exemptions.

I had a couple of strolls today to keep the blood going,one thing that was for sure was the number of very bewildered dogs being taken for a walk,they kept looking at their owners they seemed to be saying we never go for two walks in the day,whats going on.:D

I reckon there will be quite a few self employed now wishing they hadn't understated their earnings for the last three years now.:doh:

i was just saying that to my wife, how the self employed brag every year at how little they say they earn to reduce their tax bill to almost nothing

I do feel sorry for genuine people who only started their business in the last year and have spent most of their savings getting the business going.

kc

i was just saying that to my wife, how the self employed brag every year at how little they say they earn to reduce their tax bill to almost nothing

I do feel sorry for genuine people who only started their business in the last year and have spent most of their savings getting the business going.

kc

just like teenagers. Don’t tar us all with the same brush. :)

:(

I had a couple of strolls today to keep the blood going,one thing that was for sure was the number of very bewildered dogs being taken for a walk,they kept looking at their owners they seemed to be saying we never go for two walks in the day,whats going on.:D

Yep - dogs are thinking..."I only sh1t at night - if I do one now will you pick it up?"

Really? I thought that the rules now forbid travel except for a few essential purposes such as going to work or hospital. I don’t remember driving somewhere to walk the dog being included in the list of exemptions.
That is a matter of interpretation: an underlying principle of British jurisprudence is that anything is permitted unless specifically prohibited .

you are allowed to go out to take exercise , or to exercise pets ; nowhere does it say you can’t drive to a place to do this ; indeed many places prohibit pet walking , so if your council have signs ‘no dogs allowed’ then you can’t even walk them there and are obliged to take them elsewhere.

as usual , some police forces make up laws to suit themselves, and have been slapped down in the past for their wrongful interpretations which suit only their own agendas .

look at examples of numerous forces persecuting photographers for one thing - there are many more

oh , and I drove over to Ayrshire today to take my 11 YO son his bike . I was going 90% of the way there for work , so combined the journeys .

not in your list , but separated/divorced parents ARE allowed to travel to see/transport their children .

I reckon there will be quite a few self employed now wishing they hadn't understated their earnings for the last three years now.:doh:
I’m a sub-contract plumber and have worked for the same firm for 5 years. I work through an agency that deduct 20% for my tax every week. I get a payslip every Friday.
There’s no argument surely.

kc

Yep have to agree 100% - I was self employed most of my life and always made sure I had enough money to survive several months if I became unemployed.

I do feel sorry for the start up types that have ploughed savings into a business.

No sympathy for the others that drive a flash new car, overseas holidays 2x / year, long false nails, extensions, and flash (fake) designer gear on teh p1$$ & smoke. Finally the taxman will get even. Payouts are going to be reconciled with recent tax returns.

I recall a guy telling me how his wife was running a hairdressing business from their converted garage and all the cash was not declared to the tax man. I thanked him for his wife being one of the people that caused me to pay higher taxes.

Reactions: 219
I’m a sub-contract plumber and have worked for the same firm for 5 years. I work through an agency that deduct 20% for my tax every week. I get a payslip every Friday.
There’s no argument surely.
Not for you - should be no problem.

That is a matter of interpretation: an underlying principle of British jurisprudence is that anything is permitted unless specifically prohibited .

you are allowed to go out to take exercise , or to exercise pets ; nowhere does it say you can’t drive to a place to do this ; indeed many places prohibit pet walking , so if your council have signs ‘no dogs allowed’ then you can’t even walk them there and are obliged to take them elsewhere.

as usual , some police forces make up laws to suit themselves, and have been slapped down in the past for their wrongful interpretations which suit only their own agendas .

look at examples of numerous forces persecuting photographers for one thing - there are many more

oh , and I drove over to Ayrshire today to take my 11 YO son his bike . I was going 90% of the way there for work , so combined the journeys .

not in your list , but separated/divorced parents ARE allowed to travel to see/transport their children .

Unnecessary travel is not permitted - imagine if everybody decided to take their dog for a walk in one of the national parks.....

I don’t think that those self-employed who have been submitting “modest” tax returns over the years will be too upset when they think about it. What they’ve saved in taxes is certain to far outweigh any extra they would have been entitled to under this scheme had they been honest.

As others have said, it’s the startups who will be suffering the most for now. In the longer term, those who have spent years building up their businesses will be at risk of having to virtually start all over again. There are going to be very few who come out the other end of all this better off.

Absolutely. Here's an example of something posted on Facebook today by a serving Police officer I know.
Right folks, the legislation is now in place. Driving to walk your dogs is NOT deemed essential. Walking your dog from your home address is part of your one exercise period. That’s it. No it’s not ideal but covid-19 is a killer. Pure and simple.
I want all the people I know to be able to look back on this and think what a nightmare it was. I don’t want to be thinking about YOU in the past tense.
Anyone questioning this now is part of the problem. Do not go out unless it’s essential. I and my colleagues on the front line are putting our own health and well-being on the line for people that can not grasp the concept that this is not a time to argue, flout the LAW or to suit yourselves. STAY AT HOME!
Anyone that disagrees please feel free to defriend me. I will have no hesitation in reporting people that think they know better.
It seems this was based on the following, which was viewed as "legislation":

Police given new powers and support to respond to coronavirus

The actual law is here, and it's worth reading:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/pdfs/uksi_20200350_en.pdf

There is no mention whatsoever of "essential travel" or driving. Or exercising pets, come to that. And no mention of human exercise only being allowed once per day. And the list of valid reasons for leaving your house only says
(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need ...
So things that aren't listed aren't automatically "unreasonable".

I don’t think that those self-employed who have been submitting “modest” tax returns over the years will be too upset when they think about it. What they’ve saved in taxes is certain to far outweigh any extra they would have been entitled to under this scheme had they been honest.

I suspect they will regret it in the here and now though, no doubt many will have already spent anything they gained over the years so could still be in trouble meeting their current commitments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom