Examples of silly, stupid or selfish behaviour in the current environment..

• Thread starter Deleted member 149005
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to leave something here, for some to ponder.

Myself and my wife have got to go in to work in hospitals daily, to ensure that not only are our current patients dealt with, but that we are prepared for what is coming. That has meant back to back 70hr weeks for me and frankly, I've not got the mental capacity left to recall what the wife has done. We fall through the door at the end of each day, microwave something to eat and go to bed. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. I have underlying health conditions that put me at high risk. I have signed a waiver so that I can continue to support my teams and do my part to ensure there is a healthcare service for everyone that will need it. My teams, in due course, will be making decisions about who does and doesn't get life saving care. This is not scare mongering, it is fact.
2 weeks ago I sent home 80 staff with underlying health conditions who are at significant risk, to self isolate for 12 weeks. I'm sure most will appreciate the gravity of a decision like that in a healthcare setting. It is not taken lightly. But we may need them fit and well when we burn out.......

I'd add to that, in that I'm sure you're all aware that the creation of thousands of additional hospital beds, purchase of tens of thousands of ventilators, block purchasing of independent healthcare provider's facilities, mobilisation of the military to support NHS equipment and consumable deliveries, the cessation of all but extremely urgent elective surgery and financial support for those out of work, all at a cost of billions, should serve as writing on the wall, or indeed between the lines, that cannot escape you.

We are not front line, yet, but have enough links with those who currently are to know a bit more than the media spread around.

We have parents either significantly immunocompromised or living in a country where should they get sick, we will not see them before they die.

This week I have had nurses and surgeons in complete breakdown, as they have similarly high risk and highly dependent parents living with them. Can you appreciate the burden of potentially handing a loved one a death sentence?

Yet we return, each day, as do thousands of others, to make sure you and your loved ones will have access to care, not just for COVID related illness, but for urgent trauma too. Yes folks, people still do stupid things and still need treatment, COVID or not.

Tomorrow morning, myself and my teams will go in to work, along with thousands of others and risk our own health, mental and physical, to make sure the NHS continues to be able to look after society.

It isn't just about proximity to others, every surface you touch, if you have this, which doesn't always mean you're symptomatic, transfers risk to others and adds unnecessary pressure on an already stretched system. So too, do activities that increase the likelihood that you may end up in the back of an ambulance.

Have a care for those who will suffer the consequences of your decisions, through no fault of their own, in discharging what they see as their duty to society, in a time of need. And also those who serve behind cash registers, stack you supermarket shelves, take money for your fuel purchase and so on..........
Stay home. Save lives.

In the absence of a ‘Thanks’ button I’ve ‘Liked’ your post.

Thank You and all those you mention. :thumb:

Myself and my wife have got to go in to work in hospitals daily, to ensure that not only are our current patients dealt with, but that we are prepared for what is coming. That has meant back to back 70hr weeks for me and frankly, I've not got the mental capacity left to recall what the wife has done. We fall through the door at the end of each day, microwave something to eat and go to bed. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. I have underlying health conditions that put me at high risk. I have signed a waiver so that I can continue to support my teams and do my part to ensure there is a healthcare service for everyone that will need it. My teams, in due course, will be making decisions about who does and doesn't get life saving care. This is not scare mongering, it is fact.
2 weeks ago I sent home 80 staff with underlying health conditions who are at significant risk, to self isolate for 12 weeks. I'm sure most will appreciate the gravity of a decision like that in a healthcare setting. It is not taken lightly. But we may need them fit and well when we burn out.......

I'd add to that, in that I'm sure you're all aware that the creation of thousands of additional hospital beds, purchase of tens of thousands of ventilators, block purchasing of independent healthcare provider's facilities, mobilisation of the military to support NHS equipment and consumable deliveries, the cessation of all but extremely urgent elective surgery and financial support for those out of work, all at a cost of billions, should serve as writing on the wall, or indeed between the lines, that cannot escape you.

We are not front line, yet, but have enough links with those who currently are to know a bit more than the media spread around.

We have parents either significantly immunocompromised or living in a country where should they get sick, we will not see them before they die.

This week I have had nurses and surgeons in complete breakdown, as they have similarly high risk and highly dependent parents living with them. Can you appreciate the burden of potentially handing a loved one a death sentence?

Yet we return, each day, as do thousands of others, to make sure you and your loved ones will have access to care, not just for COVID related illness, but for urgent trauma too. Yes folks, people still do stupid things and still need treatment, COVID or not.

Tomorrow morning, myself and my teams will go in to work, along with thousands of others and risk our own health, mental and physical, to make sure the NHS continues to be able to look after society.

It isn't just about proximity to others, every surface you touch, if you have this, which doesn't always mean you're symptomatic, transfers risk to others and adds unnecessary pressure on an already stretched system. So too, do activities that increase the likelihood that you may end up in the back of an ambulance.

Have a care for those who will suffer the consequences of your decisions, through no fault of their own, in discharging what they see as their duty to society, in a time of need. And also those who serve behind cash registers, stack you supermarket shelves, take money for your fuel purchase and so on..........
Stay home. Save lives.

Post of the day :thumb:

Post of the day :thumb:

And the most sobering, thought inducing. WTF are we arguing semantics when people like this have our backs. Simple message - stay home and make sacrifices to ensure as many people as possible survive. We miss our grandkids but at least we have video calling

So visitors - once allowed - are safe then ...... for now.:devil:

Dryce - your post above is referring to a quote supposedly by me. I've looked back to page #12 and can't find a post of mine saying anything about freezers. And can't recall making one earlier either. Apologies if I've been forgetful but I suspect you are quoting someone other than me.

Just to add my thoughts. I was due to have my Rituximab injection to help keep me in remission next week. I got the anticipated call from one of the Doctors who look after me on Friday afternoon asking me if I wanted to postpone the treatment. She explained that a gap in treatment would have no adverse issues,so the appointment has been put back.

When I thanked her for taking the time to fully explain my progress and improvement in the treatment cycles and said that I was happy to wait, her comment was "thank you for not shouting at me like the last two patients have done" Hell yes we are all in difficult times,some more than others,but these dedicated medics are on the front line and in real danger,so will someone please explain why they are being abused.

After a lot of the crap we've all seen posted on here and elsewhere over the past few weeks, the post by Quetzacoatl is a welcome and fantastic wake up call to us all, and without doubt the "post of the thread", if not "post of the year". Wife and I are both "extremely vulnerable" due to age and underlying health conditions (bronchial in both cases) and on 12 week lockdown, not allowed to leave the property - PITA, but required so people like Quetz and his wife can do thir job for people that need life saving help.

Time for quite a few on here to take a deep breath and get real - but as common sense is not exactly common unless you're from a simialr generation to me, I won't hold my breath!

Dryce - your post above is referring to a quote supposedly by me. I've looked back to page #12 and can't find a post of mine saying anything about freezers. And can't recall making one earlier either. Apologies if I've been forgetful but I suspect you are quoting someone other than me.

I think I've managed to misquote stuff before as if it came from you. It's a wierd jinx.

Apologies - it was a reference to post from @Pontoneer

Last edited:
It's not just those in the high at risk category, anyone in any category should take it seriously, this is not a game! We are basically on a war footing, the problem is we can't see the enemy, so the only answer is to avoid contact with anyone or anything outside the home, as they present a risk. Yes it's hard, yes it's inconvenient, and yes it's boring, but if everyone adhered to this mindset it can significantly reduce if not eliminate infection, and the sooner everyone grasps that, the sooner we can all get back to normal. And THANKS Quetzalcoatl

Stay home. Save lives.
I have no words other than “thank you”.

On the topic of stupidity, I’m increasingly depressed by the moronic level of questioning by the media at the daily HMG Coronavirus Briefings. And the practice of any particular “journalist” asking three, four or more questions at the same time gives the politician the perfect opportunity to swerve anything that’s a bit difficult, which renders all their questions irrelevant.

Iain Dale hit the target regarding the banality of the majority of the questions when he said this:
It's 20 November 1940 and we cross over to Downing Street for the Press conf.

Mr Churchill, can you please tell us when the war is going to end? You said last week that this is the end of the beginning. Can you please assure the public when the beginning of the end will be?
With parliament suspended and a daily broadcast opportunity on which to shine, you would have hoped that “the fourth estate” would do a better job of holding HMG to account. Instead it just showcases the dire state of our media :(

Now I know I should have let this go, but I’m just no good at doing so. The above comment was in response to me answering his earlier question by saying that I rarely if ever get bored, my mind is generally far too active. Why that should have elicited the scathing personal attack, I don’t know. A feeble attempt at humour or merely vindictive? Anyway, perhaps he should break his boredom by checking out the only indicator we have here on this forum. His stats tell us that he’s posted 16,080 messages and received 7,467 likes. Meanwhile, I’ve been far more reserved and only posted 3,665 messages, yet I’ve received 3,308 likes. That would seem to indicate that according to the members, he’s way more boring than me. I can accept that he finds my posts boring, possibly because many are intended to make people think - a process that some struggle with. But I believe it’s disingenuous to make the general statement that I’m boring. The non-boring thing for him to do would be to apologise, apologise for disregarding one of the forum’s rules.

Now that post is what you can be justified in calling boring! :banana:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If the number of "thanks" are akin to ratings then all I can say is...Donald Trump is currently the highest rating star on US tv....you're in good company.

Last edited:
On the topic of stupidity, I’m increasingly depressed by the moronic level of questioning by the media at the daily HMG Coronavirus Briefings. And the practice of any particular “journalist” asking three, four or more questions at the same time gives the politician the perfect opportunity to swerve anything that’s a bit difficult, which renders all their questions irrelevant.

Iain Dale hit the target regarding the banality of the majority of the questions when he said this:With parliament suspended and a daily broadcast opportunity on which to shine, you would have hoped that “the fourth estate” would do a better job of holding HMG to account. Instead it just showcases the dire state of our media :(

laura kuenssberg in particular - seemingly always first which unnecessarily, detailed questions..

Dominic Raab was particularly dry and mono tone yesterday...boring even.

Credit to the NHS, shop workers, etc - all who are making our continued existence possible.

After a lot of the crap we've all seen posted on here and elsewhere over the past few weeks, the post by Quetzacoatl is a welcome and fantastic wake up call to us all, and without doubt the "post of the thread", if not "post of the year". Wife and I are both "extremely vulnerable" due to age and underlying health conditions (bronchial in both cases) and on 12 week lockdown, not allowed to leave the property - PITA, but required so people like Quetz and his wife can do thir job for people that need life saving help.

And, given the vulnerability of the above and the likes, don't you think the rest of us doing our utmost to keep you safe deserve a little better then this:

Time for quite a few on here to take a deep breath and get real - but as common sense is not exactly common unless you're from a simialr generation to me, I won't hold my breath!

No common sense - eh?
Well, we've enough common sense not insult those we depend upon for safety. If it comes to a point when society says 'sod this for a game of soldiers' be sure to remember the part you played in bringing it there.

I was not insulting those who we depend on for our safety, quite the opposite. My comment was aimed elsewhere. My wife and I are fully appreciative of what so many are doing - like the young lady from our surgery/pharmacy who yesterday delivered wife's medication, doctor and nurse practitioner who had had telephone consultations with wife, supermarket staff keeping the shelves stacked, tills manned, picking orders for home delivery/click and collect, the list goes on and on. However, read this and other threads on here and elsewhere and a few have a different viewpoint!

On my second box of popcorn now..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom