Examples of silly, stupid or selfish behaviour in the current environment..

• Thread starter Deleted member 149005
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This finally got real in our family.
Funeral arrangements are quite grim as it is only limited to a small number. Could be interesting with such a large family!
Bye Dad.

A sad day for you, our sympathy and condolences. Lost my Dad in 1987 and still miss him.

interesting thing on Sky News (at least I think it wa, wife switches TV between BBC, ITV and Sky news all afternoon!) earlier today, jewish Rabbi whose Grandfather's funeral she was to officiate at, arranged with all the family that she would be at the funeral service and graveside but would stream it (presumably via Zoom or similar) to everyone else that wished to participate. Apparently worked extremely well. I would not have a clue how to do this, but seems an idea if you have the ability to arrange.

Covid 19 took my father in law yesterday morning. He didn't stand a chance. May he rest in peace.
He was a man, that if you ever met him, would always make you feel good about yourself. A humble and generous man, that many looked up to. He will join my late mother in law. He will be happy again.

Sadly, some of the public think they are immune and carry on regardless, in not social distancing, nor understanding the implications. The guidelines are there for ALL of us. We haven't even seen the spike in the country, so goodness only knows where we are headed.

Funeral arrangements are quite grim as it is only limited to a small number. Could be interesting with such a large family! If he was to look down, on his funeral day, he'd think people didn't care about him, given the numbers would be so few.
In his last days, there were huge and understandable visiting restrictions at the hospital, but what was evident, was the dwindling supply of PPE for the visitor and NHS staff. Just shocking that NHS staff, are being left vulnerable. Covid 19 will teach us a lot. From ways of working to how ill prepared our health service have been run down.

This also applies to the rest of the world.

Stay safe people.

Bye Dad.

So sorry for your loss Anil. Thank you for sharing the reality of this crisis.

Thoughts are with you and your family at this very sad time.

Much respect for posting.

Didn't the Germans do something along those lines around 75-80 years ago? Didn’t end well for them, ISTR.

It has resulted in huge moral dilemmas ever since though, as the results they achieved have proven incredibly useful.

The Japanese did the same using Koreans as test subjects. And to a (much) lesser extent also the US Army carried-out medical and psychological tests on it own soldiers.

But the key issue regarding the Nazi regime is that the majority of 'scientific' research wasn't scientific at all - it was simply barbaric and sadistic, and moreover pointless. Just Google "Dr Mengele".

I don't understand why police forces are being criticised for enforcing the government's 'Stay Home' policy.

It's their job to enforce the law... anyone who thinks that there's no harm in going mountain-climbing in Snowdonia should raise this with Boris Johnson, and not with the local Plod.

Covid 19 took my father in law yesterday morning. He didn't stand a chance. May he rest in peace.
He was a man, that if you ever met him, would always make you feel good about yourself. A humble and generous man, that many looked up to. He will join my late mother in law. He will be happy again.

Sadly, some of the public think they are immune and carry on regardless, in not social distancing, nor understanding the implications. The guidelines are there for ALL of us. We haven't even seen the spike in the country, so goodness only knows where we are headed.

Funeral arrangements are quite grim as it is only limited to a small number. Could be interesting with such a large family! If he was to look down, on his funeral day, he'd think people didn't care about him, given the numbers would be so few.
In his last days, there were huge and understandable visiting restrictions at the hospital, but what was evident, was the dwindling supply of PPE for the visitor and NHS staff. Just shocking that NHS staff, are being left vulnerable. Covid 19 will teach us a lot. From ways of working to how ill prepared our health service have been run down.

Stay safe people.

Bye Dad.
My condolences, if he is looking down at his funeral he would certainly understand the reasoning so don't beat yourself up over it.

We watched our neighbours attend their Father in Law's funeral today, close family only.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Stay safe people.

Bye Dad.
Deepest condolences

I’m beginning to get the impression that the allowance for one walk a day is being taken as compulsory. There seem to be far more people out walking past my house than usual.
Certainly the area where I am now living sees many more people out and about than one would normally see , and they are mainly of an older generation . Oddly , not so many children , despite the schools being closed .

I don't understand why police forces are being criticised for enforcing the government's 'Stay Home' policy.

It's their job to enforce the law... anyone who thinks that there's no harm in going mountain-climbing in Snowdonia should raise this with Boris Johnson, and not with the local Plod.
It is the their job to enforce the law but the law does not, to use your example, stop people from climbing Snowdonia so the police have been over reaching their powers.
I also think it would be ludicrous to climb Snowdonia.

It is the their job to enforce the law but the law does not, to use your example, stop people from climbing Snowdonia so the police have been over reaching their powers.
I also think it would be ludicrous to climb Snowdonia.
I am not suggesting it's right or wrong, but if the current instructions are that people must stay home unless they are going to purchase food infrequently, exercise once a day, or going to work, the how does a trip to Snowdonia fit in?

(Unless they live or work on the mountain, that is...)

Again, it's not about what people should and should not be allowed to do, it's about the fact the the police are simply enforcing the government's policy.

it's about the fact the the police are simply enforcing the government's policy.
And therein lies the problem. Paraphrasing Lord Sumption, the police's job is to enforce the law, not the wishes of politicians. The law does not prohibit free movement. Politicians have asked us to limit our movement. Very important distinctions.

And therein lies the problem. Paraphrasing Lord Sumption, the police's job is to enforce the law, not the wishes of politicians. The law does not prohibit free movement. Politicians have asked us to limit our movement. Very important distinctions.

This is an interesting angle. So you are suggesting that the government's 'instructions' in respect of the Coronavirus outbreak have no legal standing an can be ignored without (legal/criminal) consequences? I.e., that the Police were not given the powers they would need to enforce these?

This is an interesting angle. So you are suggesting that the government's 'instructions' in respect of the Coronavirus outbreak have no legal standing an can be ignored without (legal/criminal) consequences? I.e., that the Police were not given the powers they would need to enforce these?
Some of the instructions correspond with the law that has been enacted, some go further (than the law). For example, some police areas have taken it upon themselves to set up road blocks and question everyone as to the reason for their journey. They have had to be reminded that they have no legal authority to do that.

As mentioned the Police can only enforce what's written in the law, here:

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

The government are giving additional 'advice' and 'guidance', which does not have the same status. Hence the Police have (rightly) been told to back off a bit.

However. The government advice is clearly good & sensible, so if people continue to ignore it then it's possible the law will be changed and we will get tougher mandatory restrictions that the Police will be empowered to enforce.

However. The government advice is clearly good & sensible, so if people continue to ignore it then it's possible the law will be changed and we will get tougher mandatory restrictions that the Police will be empowered to enforce.
Absolutely. I’m in no way suggesting that people ignore good advice just because there’s no legal sanction for not following it, rather that there’s a difference between compulsion and cooperation - and some police areas have been muddying the waters between them.

Reactions: 219
Thousand of people exercise in gyms, so why is it essential to go outside to exercise, you can do press ups in your own house. I fail to understand which bit of "STAY AT HOME" people don't understand.
Press ups are boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom