Excel Spreadsheet help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
Hi,

Could some kind member help me to produce a spreadsheet which would enable me to record which CCTV Cameras are working.:confused:

My needs are

Column 1 Camera numbers 1 upto 300
Column 2 Camera Location
Column 3 Working Y / N ( If possible I would like it so that the column defaults to Y with a green background but would allow me to cahnge any signal camera cell to N with a red background when the camera is faulty)

Column 4 Dective date
Column 5 Reported to Engineer date
Column 6 Repaired
Column 7 Comments.

I would realy be grateful if someone could help me out, I need this to monitor cameras used in my work, & will need to copy data to a new tab for each week of the year.:wallbash:

Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

Here's my e mail address [email protected]

David

Just setup the headings accordingly, then apply "conditional formatting" to column 3 (C) so that "cell value is" "equal to" "Y" and select green fill for the first format, then add another format and do the same but use "N" as the value and red as the fill colour, then click OK.

As you then populate the sheet values the colour will change automatically.

Does that make sense?

EDIT

Spreadsheet sent.

Last edited:
This is a classic example of using a spreadsheet for a job that a database will do 100 times better

Nick Froome

^ Maybe he doesn't have access to, ahem...Access.

^ Maybe he doesn't have access to, ahem...Access.

No excuse for using the wrong tools!

The spreadsheet won't answer questions like which is the most unreliable camera, which locations require engineers most, how many times has the same fault occurred since a particular date, etc

The answer is to use the correct tool - a database - and perhaps allow the engineers online access to interrogate and update it

I bit of SQL and PHP would do this very well. Rocket science it ain't

Nick Froome

Big Thanks to Will & Mark for their prompt help.

Whilst I'm sure that Nick's thoughts are valid, my employer is cutting down on the number of "Access databases" in use on the server, so I'm afraid that your comments in this case are appreciated but not of any benefit.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom