Excellent 1997 R129 SL500 for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan1502

Car
SL60 AMG (Now sold)
A good friend of mine is selling his SL500. It was seeing his that led me on my extensive search which ended up with me buying the SL60. I realised just how hard it is to find a good one having scoured the country at the time and also concluded that he was lucky to have found his in such good condition.

The details are in the following advert. It's very well looked after with no expense spared and garaged. I saw it when he first bought it and it had clearly been well cared for. It has subsequently been further improved including detailing by Matt of Magic Detail. So a genuine car being sold by a genuine enthusiast.

Classic Mercedes SL SL500 1997 for sale - Classic & Sports Car (Ref Cheshire)

Looks a good example but with the mileage being over 100k I feel the price is a little on the high side....hope he sells to a good home.

I'm not all that up to speed but you could easily spend less buying a car then end up spending more getting it to the same condition. Definitely worth considering if you're in the market though.

To carry the "top end price, no negotation" stance, the car needs to be flawless and it isn't.

The hood windows need attention (there's no point crowing about originality if it's broken), and no evidence of the gearbox fluid having been changed either which means it's well overdue. That's £500-750 straight off the bat.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks rather, well, dull, in that colour with those wheels? IMO the AMG bodykit, particularly the boot spoiler, really sharpens up the look of the R129.

I'm not sure what buyers he hopes to attract; ISTM that the car has too much mileage to attract the investors, but the price is too high to attract those who just want a decent, presentable daily driver.

"No offers" ads always put me (and I suspect many other potential buyers) off, too, unless the price is really low; that isn't. One may end up paying the asking price if the seller won't budge, but to get the full price you have to get potential buyers there in the first place. On the other hand, I bet he will still have hopeful t*****s trying to make silly offers, but perhaps not as many.

I doubt he's in a rush to sell, judging by the tone of the ad. Good luck to him; the buyer he is looking for may call any day, and I have no doubt he'll get his price if he waits long enough.

I can see how the tone of the ad could be taken and it doesn't reflect how he is as a person at all. I am resisting getting into a discussion about price as I could be perceived as biased and the prices seem to be all over the place plus my experience was that there are so many poor examples around that you can't judge based on an advert i.e. without inspection. It's funny how when I was buying many were saying buy on condition not mileage, 112,00 isn't high mileage etc etc though. I stand by it being worth viewing if you're in the market for one.

Well, the asking prices, mostly from dealers, it appears - think ludicrous prices, think McCarthy Cars in Croydon - are indeed all over the place, but the prices these cars are actually selling for on eBay are generally much lower than the asking prices, and those selling prices are what people spending their own money have paid. Your friend's car sounds like a very decent example, and I hope he sells it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom