Excerpts from Ukraine Autotrader

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by 230K, Jan 6, 2009.

1. 230K

230K Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
    Hi

Just a few pages from the Ukrainian Autotrader type magazine. Some big prices for Mercedes cars being asked. They seem to deal in US dollars when selling larger items.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

2. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    Maybe there some local tax etc that bumps the prices up, but I was walking back from a pub to a hotel with a couple of colleagues, one from Finland and one from Germany, and we passed a used car lot.
    When I deciphered the year index for them they were absolutely astonished at how cheap the car were. There was a story on the HonestJohn site about a buyer from Hungary, I think, buying a fairly old Mondeo on eBay and flying over to pick it up and drive it back.

I gather the UK has about the lowest used car prices in the world.

3. coupe deville

coupe deville Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
    I suppose they drive on t'other side in Ukraine eh ?
    wot a muddle that one third of the world drive on the left and t'other two thirds drive on the right. how did this happen, I blame the yanks and Wells Fargo and John Waynes big leggy
    UK, India, Japan, Australasia, Cyprus, parts of Africa, Falkland Islands, Singapore, Thailand, etc etc all on the left
    Sweden changed over, do you think we will "bite the bullet" and do the same anytime in the future

4. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    A third of the world?

Isn't it just a few of the remaining commonwealth countries?

5. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    I don't remember Japan being part of the Commonwealth, but I could be wrong ;)

Interestingly, many early American cars were RHD even though they drove on the right. The rationale was that it was easier to see the edge of the road if you were sat closest to it.

6. Biscuit

Biscuit Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Sweden changed in 1967 - overnight - everyone was ordered off the roads and they changed the lines, they switched the signs round and the next morning chaos of course but it all settled eventually.

the idea of even a simple journey near me suddenly being on the right hand side would throw me completely. roundabouts, motorway junctions car parks pedestrian interactions.... the whole nation having to change its driving instincts doesnt bear thinking about.

7. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    I was aware of the 'right-hand free' idea being the basis for driving on the left, ie making the strong or preferred hand available to carry a sword pr shake hands whilst on horseback. Rationale for driving on the right was new to me though.

Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_on_the_left_or_right

Scroll down to History for more information.