Excessive inner tyre wear - fronts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

proser

Car
W210 E320Cdi Estate
Had a full geometry setup a couple of months back with a company from www.AlignMyCar.co.uk. I have covered 5000miles and the inner edges have totally gone.

This only became apparent when the garage pointed it out whilst having rear brake and suspension pipes replaced.

the read out after it was setup :

Front
Left Right
Camber -1 42' -1 02' with new adjustable bolts fitted.
Caster 4 28' 4 22'
Toe 0 04' 0 02'

Total Toe 0 06'
Steer Ahead 0 01'

Rear:

Camber -1 53' -1 18'
Toe 0 10' 0 14'

Total Toe 0 24'
Thrust Angle -0 02'

The car is a 2000 E320 CDi Elegance Estate with: AMG 18" staggered wheels with 235/40 & 265/35 tyres ; Avantgarde springs all round to give that lowered stance.

Seems like something has gone out or was not set to the right specs.

what do people think and also any recommendations for a garage to do a proper check/adjustment.

How often do you check your tyre pressures? Low pressure will wear them on the the edges.

Check out Wheels In Motion.

Pressures are checked about every 2 weeks, as tow a caravan regularly so pressures are increased/decreased as needed.

Would like to use WIM but just haven't got the time to get there and a little far.

Check the camber and castor bushes for splits and wear too. You may have to lever the arm over to see the splits on the castor bush.

That's bad. My front tyres, especially the osf, are worn on the inner edge, but have just reached the 20000 mark.

Check the camber and castor bushes for splits and wear too. You may have to lever the arm over to see the splits on the castor bush.

Are you talking about the rear bushes on the bottom arm ?

If they do need doing, then I presume it would be better to replace the whole arm than the bushes, as the labour cost to get the bushes out and back in would out way the saving of the bushes on their own ??

Worth a claim into the company to advise of your situation after only a couple of months given you paid for them to do a job that they obviously have not done very well?

Worth a claim into the company to advise of your situation after only a couple of months given you paid for them to do a job that they obviously have not done very well?

I will be given them a call in the morning to see what they say.

I gave them a call and asked for me to go in and they will check it over.

This will be on Tuesday, due to work.

BTW: if I put fatter rubber spring spacers in, will this alter the camber to reduce the negative value ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom