exchange hosting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

proser

Car
W210 E320Cdi Estate
Current setup:

SBS2003 running at home with my domain on a static IP. exchange used mainly for me so that where ever I am (and what ever I use ) I can have all my email, contacts, calendar sync'd up.

I was thinking of looking at having the exchange part hosted, but would like to be able to upload all my current emails etc from my current exchange folders.
Can someone recommend a solution/company that will give me what I am looking for.

I don't really use anything else within SBS, that I can't do by other means.

TIA
Mark

Current setup:

SBS2003 running at home with my domain on a static IP. exchange used mainly for me so that where ever I am (and what ever I use ) I can have all my email, contacts, calendar sync'd up.

I was thinking of looking at having the exchange part hosted, but would like to be able to upload all my current emails etc from my current exchange folders.
Can someone recommend a solution/company that will give me what I am looking for.

I don't really use anything else within SBS, that I can't do by other means.

TIA
Mark

I use IT and Telecommunications Solutions for SMEs | voxclever

Why not let Google to look after your email needs?

I have my own domain and all email if sent to that.
I would like to upload all my current emails that I have, rather than have to start again with a new mailbox.

Just the one mailbox? If you need (min) 5 seats, there's Microsoft's Business Productivity Online Suite (BPOS) ... or just the Exchange element. You can get Exchange on its own for £3.35 per user, per month ... which is probably way too expensive if you do only have the one mailbox. But you could certainly migrate all your Exchange data :)

Disclaimer: We're an MS BPOS partner

I have my own domain and all email if sent to that.
I would like to upload all my current emails that I have, rather than have to start again with a new mailbox.

No problem, google offer that and more... and it is free.

Moved my domain (e-mail wise) to google last year and uploaded my current mailboxes - using 10% of my 7GB. Using Outlook (via IMAP) at home/on laptop, web from access elsewhere.

Yes, I'm using Google Apps with my own domain. I gave up running my SBS 2003 server too.

I've had a hosted exchange account with 1&1 before too, GoogleApps were easy to set up on my own domain and as Spike said - it's free (unlike hosted exchange!). It also supports Exchange ActiveSync if you need email on a mobile device...

Google Apps is very good, but it's not exchange...

What's wrong with your current setup? I'm not a fan of hosted setups as they make good money and may not be as careful as you'd like with your data...

... saying that there's an exchange cluster going in a datacentre for me very soon...

everybody and their granny is jumping on the google apps bandwagon just now.

seemingly it makes sense up to 500 mailboxes from what i remember reading.

Just don't try to get any support from them.......otherwise, they are quite good !

Google Apps is very good, but it's not exchange...

What's wrong with your current setup? I'm not a fan of hosted setups as they make good money and may not be as careful as you'd like with your data...

As the SBS server also acts as my DHCP for everything in the house. My kids first mentioned that the internet was slow (loading pages like google) so I switched the SBS off and enabled DHCP on the router and things were noticably faster :thumb:

So my thought was to move the exchange part off and then I can rebuild the SBS as a Home Server :). Also it means I can save a few quid on not having to pay BT for a static IP :)

As the SBS server also acts as my DHCP for everything in the house. My kids first mentioned that the internet was slow (loading pages like google) so I switched the SBS off and enabled DHCP on the router and things were noticably faster :thumb:

So my thought was to move the exchange part off and then I can rebuild the SBS as a Home Server :). Also it means I can save a few quid on not having to pay BT for a static IP :)

You'll find it's the DNS server that's slow - MS DNS needs far more compute power than it should.

The DHCP server aspect should be fine, just have it issue OpenDNS as the DNS servers (in the DHCP manager) instead of itself.

The DHCP server aspect should be fine, just have it issue OpenDNS as the DNS servers (in the DHCP manager) instead of itself.

Sorry for the lack of response.

How do I achieve OpenDNS ?

Change the DHCP scope options to hand out 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 (these are the open DNS DNS server IP's) then the SBS server, then your router as DNS servers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom