Exchange rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercedesDriver

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XF Sportbrake 25t X260; Mini Cooper R50
£1=EUR1.03 at my local post office, 3% difference only :eek:. This Summer won't come cheap. :wallbash:

its around 1.11 most places, change where you exchange currency, but still not cheap, two years ago I got 1.36, last year 1.18. buying euros in a few weeks :(

If you have a Pickwicks Pawnbroker in your town, buy your Euros from them, they always beat any other local rates. And have a Halifax credit card to use abroad , they don't charge for use, and always pay your bill in euros not pounds, they also give a good rate.

Last edited:
And have a Halifax credit card to use abroad , they don't charge for use, and always pay your bill in euros not pounds, they also give a good rate.

This :thumb:

Post Office exchange rates the !0% rip-off

The Post Office have always ripped off working class punters on exchange rates. It's a State owned monopoly.

There's no justification for it - no complexity, no nothing.

Order money online from Travelex and you'll get 1.11 as cash or loaded onto a direct debit card. (But don't just casually walk up to a booth at an airport).

But still more expensive than it was - that's the price of uncertainty. The good news is that the UK travel industry is making a fortune this year because the UK is "10% off" to all visitors.

West Bay anyone? It's a Mercedes drive away, cheaper and there's no airline food.

463d4d7c0b3793deceddf88a0760b00f.jpg

Last edited:
MikeInWimbledon said:
The Post Office have always ripped off working class punters on exchange rates.

What you mean they offer a different rate if you can prove you're middle class?

Damn...

Yes

MikeInWimbledon said:
The Post Office have always ripped off working class punters on exchange rates.

What you mean they offer a different rate if you can prove you're middle class?

Damn...

Yes. On exchange rates, current accounts and savings. They're dreadful.

Last edited:
Just came back from Spain , was getting 1.14 over there, the place I used for every £200 you changed up you got a bottle of beer , Happy Days :thumb:

Driving down to Switzerland and Italy over 5 days in July so looking around now at the best place to get some dosh. Tesco have an on line 'sale' at the moment. Marginally better rate if you order the money and pick it up at the currency exchange booth in the larger stores.

Post Office can F off.

Halifax Clarity credit card is a good bet as has already been mentioned.

Nationwide FlexAccount gives market rate for ATM withdrawals but each withdrawal is subject to a fee. The FlexPlus account gives market rate, fee free, ATM withdrawals. Their Select credit card is also market rate and fee free for purchases just like the Halifax card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alternatively there are new fintech startups, like revolut, who exchange at spot rate and commission free like Halifax card.

£1=EUR1.03 at my local post office, 3% difference only :eek:. This Summer won't come cheap. :wallbash:

That doesnt matter, all that matters is we got our country back ;)

Easy FX multicurrency card is currently showing 1.1224 to the pound. Load it up in sterling before you go or top up whilst away via a debit card. No additional fees or charges. Has served us well in Europe and the US.

Last edited:
The Halifax card mentioned a couple of times already is easily the best way of spending money abroad. The rates are MasterCard rates with absolutely no charges. The more you can use the card instead of cash, the better. The Euro rate today is 1.14.

I have always used Travelex online and picked the money up after passing through security at the airport. It's very convenient and used to be the best rate but I see these cards now have a marginally better rate.

cinek said:
That doesnt matter, all that matters is we got our country back ;)
And fish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom