Exchange reply addresses help !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
Got an interesting (if you’re an anorak) problem with Exchange 2003 SP2....

Let’s say you have a user with 2 email addresses [email protected] and [email protected] - both email domains hosted on the same Exchange Server, connected directly.

Exchange gives a user a default reply address – in this case let’s assume [email protected] .

But what I need is when a message to comes in via the abc.com address for the user to be able to reply with their address as abc.com, and likewise for the 123.com address .

– Exchange ( as far as I can work out) only uses the standard reply address.

The only work around is to bin the exchange server, and setup 2 POP3 accounts (abc.com and 123.com) on Outlook, which sorts out the reply address depending on which account the message comes in on........

The reason – one company is splitting into 2 fields..... but some users work for both parts and need company email for each company.....

Any ideas ?

No solution as yet.
Reply address is your main SMTP address.

Regards Voya

That's the problem!!!!

anyone know if it's been fixed in Exchange 2007 or a solution ?

W,

I know that thats a problem, and for another reason, was forced to create double AD users (for people who work in 'both' companies').

Hmm just an idea, entourage (mac version of outlook) you can specify multiple exchange addresses.

That would resolve problem.

W,Hmm just an idea, entourage (mac version of outlook) you can specify multiple exchange addresses.

That's swearing in some places !!!!

It would, if they wanted to change their kit..... might be a bit expensive....

Other than the POP3 (as above) or 2 outlook profiles + 2 user accounts - which is silly... I can't find a solution.....:( :(

You could always set up one account as an imap and leave the other as an exchange account, wouldn't that sort your problem? Though again I'm using .ie and .com addresses and can specify either and log in as either. I'll have a look into my DC later and see what the options are.

Try this

Simon is an both an Exchange MVP and advisor on an well known IT forum . What he doesn't know about Exchange isn't worth ... etc...
Also available on consultancy basis ;)

That link is excellent but sums up some points why I had to have separate accounts. Client didn't want to make it easy for users to accidentaly send reply from wrong address.

If people don't need calendars and things like that I always advise people to go for qmail/postfix rather then exchange. Faster, WAY simpler to restore, and offline defrag '?? doesn't even come into equation.

Is 2007 still based on dumb-**** jet db engine ?

Voya

I'm playing with os x on new sony vaio :D. Well not as good as macbookpro, but gazzilion times better then vista. Unfortunatelly a lot more business apps for winx.

But what I need is when a message to comes in via the abc.com address for the user to be able to reply with their address as abc.com, and likewise for the 123.com address .

Any ideas ?

Turn on the exchange Imap service for that account, set up an Imap account in outlook, don't use POP3 as you want to leave the messages on the server otherwise you'll either delete them or end with with so many pop won't sync it.

Create folders in the inbox for both inbound addresses, set up server side rules to move the mails to the right folders.

Set the SMTP side of the Imap setting in outlook to use the secondary address , set the account to only sync the mail from the secondary folder.

Set a client rule in the outlook account not to sync the secondary folder from the exchange account and to copy outbound mail to the sent items folder in the exchange mailbox.

Add the two folders to favourites.

I think this should work, the user will see the two inboxes for each mail address and a reply will go out on the account the mail was received by.

Not tried it BTW. Could do but (with all due respect) I'd have to do it on work time IYSWIM

Tim

I use Outlook Express and have four family Email addresses, three with one ISP and a Hotmail address.

When I reply to any of them it defaults to the first address, but can be changed in the drop down menu under "From" listing in the reply page.

Don't know if that helps or not?

No Brian, it doesnt :D

The client can be a delegate for the second domain, its more of a mail server problem than anything client related.

The client can be a delegate for the second domain, its more of a mail server problem than anything client related.

Yeah if you say so mate.:D :D You lost me there.:D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom