Excited

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

As a birthday present from my lovely wife, tomorrow I'm going to Silverstone to drive 3 laps each in a Ferrari 360 F1 Modena and an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I'll have to get in some practice with my flappy paddles on the way there in readiness for the Ferrari, and just hope I can cope with the waggly stick thing and an extra pedal in the Aston! Unlike the Stig, I'll only be listening to the wonderful noises coming from those beasts. I just have to hope the weather holds out - not too sure about 400bhp in the wet!

Hopefully I'll still be alive to report back on the experience.

If you ever get divorced let me know, I'm in the market for a wife like that. :)
First wife cost me an absolute fortune so I'm hanging onto this one! And with her looking like this can you blame me?

1789542729_42cd4d76bc.jpg

No kidding, that really is this lucky b'stard's wife. :D

Well done! I had a go in a Gallardo there last year - as a direct result, I now have a 911. So watch out, that trip might well prove to be expensive..!

Seriously though, the experience will be over and done with before you know it. If you've not done one of these things before, concentrate on listening to the instructor for the first couple of laps. If you don't screw up majorly, he'll let you belt it royally down hangar straight on the last lap.

Like great sex – Silverstone was over far too soon! All the bumph said that we’d be on the International (South) loop of the circuit so I’d spent some time on Monday learning it as best I could. When we arrived at Silverstone the security guard told us which way to go, but following his directions took us to the Mercedes “Brooklands” Suite. I guessed that the guard had assumed we had come for a Mercedes experience drive so I didn’t bother stopping there and instead turned round and followed the signs all the way around the circuit to the Silverstone Experience Centre as described in all the instructions provided beforehand. When we got there and checked in we were told that the venue had been changed for that day and we had to go to the Brooklands Suite!

After eventually checking in at the right place, we stepped outside onto a balcony and watched other drivers experiencing Astons and Ferraris (and a Renault!) After smiling at the bad line that most were taking through the bend to the right of where we stood, I started to wonder exactly what bend it was. It just didn’t fit in with any of the bends I’d learnt the day before. Then the penny dropped. We were actually on the shorter national circuit that forms the northern section of the Grand Prix circuit, and looking at Brooklands Corner that leads directly into Nuffield! Along with a group of other drivers we were given a briefing on driving lines and told that because the National Circuit was slightly shorter than the planned International, we’d be doing four laps instead of three. We then walked over to the pits with our families and friends where we were handed helmets and then taken out to the cars.

The briefing:
7788361074_84661790d0.jpg

I was first into the Aston Martin V8 Vantage, settling in reasonably easily although finding it a little odd with a helmet on. I was a tad disconcerted to note the rearview mirror was tilted towards the instructor sitting next to me; he assured me I wouldn’t need it! The clutch was surprisingly light when I tried it and the close-gate gearbox felt OK. We pulled out into the pit lane and I followed a more powerful Ferrari onto the circuit, flooring it as we entered. My assumption that the Ferrari would get away quicker than us was wrong and I nearly performed my first doggy with an Italian! My instructor told me the road was clear behind (remember, he had the mirror and not me) so I swung out and blasted past the Ferrari on the left, placing me perfectly for Copse. Any sensible ideas about taking it easy for the first lap as I got used to the car and the circuit disappeared as quickly as I’d passed the Ferrari. I just blasted it. A couple of times I didn’t manage to select the gear I wanted before a corner, so I was slower out than intended, but overall I was pretty chuffed with my performance. Nobody overtook me, despite the only less powerful car on the circuit being the Renault small-thingy. The Aston handled well and always responded as I expected. No nasty surprises and I soon felt comfortable with most of the circuit. Maggots was the only place I didn’t feel as though I got right because that was where we had to effectively do a right turn to stay on the National Circuit, instead of what always looked like the correct route of continuing on to Becketts on the Grand Prix circuit.

Leaving the pis in the Aston Martin:
7788365818_1b6c93d080.jpg

Negotiating Luffield in the Aston Martin:
7788363538_75441d3065.jpg

Shortly after returning the Aston to the old Le Mans-style starting formation in the pit lane, I was ushered over to the Ferrari. This was a totally different beast. First of all I had to negotiate my way beneath the roll cage and into my seat. Then it was on with the full harness. The flappy paddles worked the same way as in my car so I thought they’d be no problem (despite me rarely using mine). I soon settled in and off we went. Nobody to shoot past on the exit from the pits but still straight over to the left in readiness for Copse. The instructor said something but the extra noise of the Ferrari combined with my new apprehension made it just a distant distraction. I couldn’t even tell properly by the feel or sound when I needed to change up, but we seemed to be making good progress! I negotiated Copse OK but was a bit disappointed that after remembering to turn right and stay on the National Circuit, the Ferrari’s acceleration onto the Wellington Straight felt a bit ordinary – then I realised that in my excitement I’d forgotten to change down before the bends leading to it! As my confidence grew I got better, but at the higher speeds the corners became harder work to negotiate. I eventually heard the instructor telling me that I was stiffening up at every corner so it was much harder for me to turn the steering wheel! I’d just managed to cure that when we came round Woodcote and I was told to return to the pits. Sigh. All too soon it was all over.

Leaving the pis in the Ferrari:
7788358892_7ae994d0df.jpg

Blasting along Pits Straight in the Ferrari:
7788354830_54ce8373c8.jpg

Luffield getting tighter in the Ferrari:
7788356948_53da4afcc6.jpg

The “Head to Head” experience was about comparing the two cars. But for me they were so different it was a difficult comparison. If I was choosing one as an everyday road car, then the Aston Martin wins hands down. Easier to drive and you could hold a conversation in there, but lots of oomph when you need it. The Ferrari demanded to be driven, with lots of hard work essential to get the best from it. A better track car.

My wife looks better posing with the cars:
7788367916_e937a7b402.jpg

.... than me!:
7788350640_f89b1678f2.jpg

But she preferred the red Ferrari:
7788340750_470c3329a7.jpg

That looks like it was a hoot.

I've considered these driving days before but not done one yet. I want to drive a 360 to see how it compares to my current steed.

I image the handling is sublime...

Nice one!

Looks like you had a great day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom