Exercise a killer Andrew Marr?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

Hey Guys

Just wandering how many of you do high intensity cardio on a regular basis (3 or more times a week).

I am a big guy, 100kg or thereabouts and gave up weight training some time ago, although still do high rep bench etc for toning and wardrobe :).

I now concentrate on my ancient Concept 2 rower, Watt Bike (as used by many Olympic teams - awesome and great with clipless pedals) and a Ski Erg (try the Ski Erg Mr Marr...).

Asking because I felt that Andrew Marr was very unfair when he told anybody that would listen, that his rower almost killed him. (he later acknowledged that his lifestyle was to blame, but by then, the damage was done.).

So here's my kit: (original photos from my home gym available if interested. My profile photo is my Wattbike)

C2 Ski Erg, makes rowing feel like a row in the park.

Ski Erg

Watt Bike - plus Sufferlandia training videos.

Wattbike

The Sufferfest

And the C2 Rower. (mine is fitted with slides)

Concept 2

Plus I have a pro runner which I don't use and a Smith's machine which I do.

I gave up drinking almost 5 years ago, and now live on a mostly vegetarian diet - coupled to carrot and melon juice only months, where I consume almost nothing else. (Two chicks egg whites for protein twice a week).

It works well, mostly. Ok, I guess some wag's going to say why all the machines when you could row, ride, ski for real. But, with machines I can go out to my garage in the middle of the night if I want and off I go. Essential when you regularly do 100 hour weeks.

What does everybody else do to keep fit? I''d love to hear from other big guys too Especially those who are 40+.

Thanks for reading -

Chris

I read the Andrew Marr story and the basic lesson there is listen to your body. I thought he was pushing himself way to hard at both work and then exercise. Something has to give and sadly did. You are doing well to be 100kg on that diet! I too am 40+. I do triathlon to stay fit. Just done the London one this weekend. To train I run with a mate twice a week. We cycle once and I swim on my own once a week. Sometimes I have to cut back if work gets in the way but the good thing about running is you can do it any time and committing to run with a friend stops the sofa from grabbing you. Haven't concentrated on diet too much but have drastically cut back on alcohol and don't eat sweets, chocolate or biscuits and rarely have desert at a meal. I used to do weights as well but just don't have the time for everything.

A cardiologist once told me that men over the age of 40 should not participate in individual competitive sport. His rational being that in competition men in particular will often push themselves beyond their limits. Its a stretch but I guess you could extend that to competing against yourself on exercise machines. With the plethoral of personal physiological monitoring equipment you can wear- blood pressure- pulse rate- respiration- blood oxygenation --available now I reckon keeping a check on these vitals while exercising might be a wise precaution for the under/ over 40's. Very much depends on what baseline/exercise history you are coming from of course and 40 is just an approximate threshold figure. A quick check on the folks [ Mum and Dad] medical history you inherited your DNA from is always a good idea also since you can't outrun your genetics. :thumb:

Last edited:
You are doing well to be 100kg on that diet!

I'm super lean at 95kg, it's bone mass that accounts for the constant.

I'd love to do triathlon and envy you.

I drove down the A3 to Portsmouth today to see my mum and was shocked at the number of pelotons racing around there. It's really caught on. I'm so happy to see all these folks exercising like that. Some great things ahead for British sport I reckon. It wasn't the case 5-10 years ago was it? And you know, these guys and (some girls) look really quick and really fit. They're not just out for a pedal. Same in London. This place is infested with cyclist like it never was before. Incredible really. Surprised you see any cars here around 5-7pm. So much quicker by bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
A cardiologist once told me that men over the age of 40 should not participate in individual competitive sport. His rational being that in competition men in particular will often push themselves beyond their limits. Its a stretch but I guess you could extend that to competing against yourself on exercise machines. With the plethoral of personal physiological monitoring equipment you can wear- blood pressure- pulse rate- respiration- blood oxygenation --available now I reckon keeping a check on these vitals while exercising might be a wise precaution for the under/ over 40's. Very much depends on what baseline/exercise history you are coming from of course and 40 is just an approximate threshold figure. A quick check on the folks [ Mum and Dad] medical history you inherited your DNA from is always a good idea also since you can't outrun your genetics. :thumb:

I've been doing this for 25 years. So, if and when it does get me, I'd have had a good innings.

I strap up with a heart monitor. I have 2 heart rates 100-100 warm up and 140-150 trial. Rarely steps outside of that. I see around 44 bpm just before I drop off to sleep. Sometimes it dips below 40. I do Tabatas across all machines, which is probably responsible for that.

As Mrs Chris says, who shares much the same routine, although younger, if it gets me, then I've gone doing something I love.

What about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering giving up the TV remote to change channels.....:D

Hey Guys

Just wandering how many of you do high intensity cardio on a regular basis (3 or more times a week).

I am a big guy, 100kg or thereabouts and gave up weight training some time ago, although still do high rep bench etc for toning and wardrobe :).

I now concentrate on my ancient Concept 2 rower, Watt Bike (as used by many Olympic teams - awesome and great with clipless pedals) and a Ski Erg (try the Ski Erg Mr Marr...).

Asking because I felt that Andrew Marr was very unfair when he told anybody that would listen, that his rower almost killed him. (he later acknowledged that his lifestyle was to blame, but by then, the damage was done.).

So here's my kit: (original photos from my home gym available if interested. My profile photo is my Wattbike)

C2 Ski Erg, makes rowing feel like a row in the park.

Ski Erg

Watt Bike - plus Sufferlandia training videos.

Wattbike

The Sufferfest

And the C2 Rower. (mine is fitted with slides)

Concept 2

Plus I have a pro runner which I don't use and a Smith's machine which I do.

I gave up drinking almost 5 years ago, and now live on a mostly vegetarian diet - coupled to carrot and melon juice only months, where I consume almost nothing else. (Two chicks egg whites for protein twice a week).

It works well, mostly. Ok, I guess some wag's going to say why all the machines when you could row, ride, ski for real. But, with machines I can go out to my garage in the middle of the night if I want and off I go. Essential when you regularly do 100 hour weeks.

What does everybody else do to keep fit? I''d love to hear from other big guys too Especially those who are 40+.

Thanks for reading -

Chris

I'm 42 and do a split weight training routine 5 days per week, I'm 5' 8" and currently weighing in at around 95kg (probably 15-18% bf), I don't do much cardio at the minute as my goals are strength and size, (I'll work on getting to 10% later), I used to compete in my late 20's early 30's and have always tried to keep active in the gym since with varying goals and intensity.

I also prefer the machines to the real thing as I can push myself more as once I'm done I just get off rather than walk\ride miles to get home (that and I'm really bad at pacing myself running).

My diet is mainly protein based, at least 1g\lb spread over 5 meals but I try to keep my carbs low unless I feel my training suffer.

I've got to disagree with the cardiologist though unless he means over 40's who haven't got an active past and go all out once they hit the big 'four oh' to try and roll back the damage

Deker

Last edited:
I'm 65, and a fat beggar. I used to run a lot, now I walk my dogs a lot. I don't worry about it.....

My father taught me the maxim that you should never run if you can walk, don't walk if you can stand, don't stand if you can sit and don't sit if you can lie down.

If you're well you don't need excercise and if you are ill, then don't do excercise.

He lived three months beyond his 101st birthday...

:D

Hmmmm. A lot of pet diets and personal training programs - great. If it works for you and you're happy with it, then continue the regime.

Me? I am closing on 72 and have been exercising since my late teens. I now spin three times a week and use weights once a week. My diet is anything that I want but with moderate portions and easy on the fat, sugar and salt.

I am 1.7 metres tall and weigh in at 70kgs and I can still fit in my 32" waist trousers.

I really envy the runners I see around town but my hip joints cannot take the pounding. C'est la vie!

grober said:

I'm not a cardiologist but have been fitter than average since my early teens. I have competed at a serious level at squash for many years before taking up running and now triathlon. I've unfortunately seen many people hurt themselves over the years. Guys do push themselves too hard but this isn't an over 40s thing. I suppose as you get older the risks may be higher. Also I've seen the affects of genetics. Some people injure really easy despite the best of prep whereas others do no warm up, stretching or warm down and are fine. You are right that you should listen to your body but at any age. Use tech if you want or just stop or back off when pain hits. The main thing is to find something to do that you enjoy.

Swedish-Chris said:
I'm super lean at 95kg, it's bone mass that accounts for the constant. I'd love to do triathlon and envy you. I drove down the A3 to Portsmouth today to see my mum and was shocked at the number of pelotons racing around there. It's really caught on. I'm so happy to see all these folks exercising like that. Some great things ahead for British sport I reckon. It wasn't the case 5-10 years ago was it? And you know, these guys and (some girls) look really quick and really fit. They're not just out for a pedal. Same in London. This place is infested with cyclist like it never was before. Incredible really. Surprised you see any cars here around 5-7pm. So much quicker by bike.

You can do triathlon if you want I'm sure though 100 hour weeks will make it hard. You are right about cycling, recent successes seems to have got more out on the road. At the London Triathlon there were all shapes sizes and abilities and it was great to see so many people having a go. So whatever your abilities you wouldn't feel out of place

40. 16stone. Can pick up 25kg bag of feed (v different to an iron weight) over my head one handed. Can power walk up and down 1in4 forest pathways for half an hour+ looking for my lost 3yr old child with little breathlessness. Power walk (i think you yuppies call it, my mrs calls it striding) 10 hours a day 7 days a week around farm. Not bad for an engineering type.....?

100% home grown if possible, organic diet, Too much meat i suspect. Definately too much cider, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom