Exercise Diary...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Ok.... so here's the deal...

I'm trying to get fit before the first quarter century of my life is over... problem is, I had told myself this quite a while ago... and I turn 26 in a month or so...

So the idea is this, I'm going to post my daily workout here for the next 4 weeks, and I'm hoping for some social responsibility, peer pressure or whatever the buzz-word of the moment is to get me not to give up.

The target is to loose those annoying salami's around my waist (love handles in English)... and ideally get a 6-pack... in 4 weeks.... so far I've cut out sugar (2-6 500ml bottles of mountain dew a day) and fat (bacon roll or sausage & egg mcmuffin every morning) from my diet... limiting my carbs (pasta) to a plate a day...

This is the exercise plan...
Rock climbing as usual (2-3 times a week depending on weather)
Jogging or swimming on the days I don't climb
Pushups when I jog (and maybe pull ups if I can find an appropriate bar)
MAYBE go to my local gym... going to look at it soon... problem is, as a consultant I never can get to a gym at a reasonable hour.... and it's always at a different gym, so it ends up costing a fortune...

So... here goes!

Today (23rd July) 66.1kg - 11.6%
- 20 minute jog/walk, at an average of 6mph (first time I've jogged in years!)
- 122 pushups (22, 30, 20, 20, 30)

Let's see how this crashes and burns... "publicly" :p

M.

Just buy a pushbike and forget the gym and jogging.

I have a feeling mine got stolen just the other day... my ex brought it back after having it for 2 years in her garage after she borrowed it... I put it in the shed, and looked today and it wasn't there...

Plus, the only park near my house is too small to cycle in... cycling on roads is suicidal and stupid imho - but that's besides the point ;) I've made my view on road-cyclists clear in another thread :p

66 kg is 10.5 stone ( roughly ) , how tall are you , what is your natural build ?

66 kg is 10.5 stone ( roughly ) , how tall are you , what is your natural build ?

10.5 stone? I've had bigger Tom T!ts!

Not launching a rusty sub then ? :D

Reasonably tall, but I have a mostly-skinny build (wide shoulders from competitive swimming yonks ago, but otherwise skinny). My body fat percentage (as measured by one of those electric impedance thingies... which are notoriously inaccurate) was 11.6% yesterday. So I know I'm not "fat". I'm just trying to squeeze that little extra out of my body.

Depending on which BMI formula you use, I can come up as "underweight" - though if you use one that takes into account build this is more rare.

Let me make it quite clear - I'm not trying to loose weight. I'm trying to swap some fat for some lean muscle; so I'm not restricting the amount I eat... just choosing my foot a bit more carefully...

Ok, so without further ado... I'm 6'1"...

M>

Reasonably tall, but I have a naturally skinny build. My body fat percentage (as measured by one of those electric impedance thingies... which are notoriously inaccurate) was 11.6% yesterday. So I know I'm not "fat". I'm just trying to squeeze that little extra out of my body.

Depending on which BMI formula you use, I can come up as "underweight" - though if you use one that takes into account build this is more rare.

Let me make it quite clear - I'm not trying to loose weight. I'm trying to swap some fat for some lean muscle; so I'm not restricting the amount I eat... just choosing my foot a bit more carefully...

M>

You lucky boy - I'd be happy at 13 stone (not the current 17 stone) and I'm 5' 11.

I'd increase my lean protein intake, and concentrate on building some muscle mass to achieve what you want. Aerobic stuff is good, but some lifting some weights and building mass and tone sounds like what you need in addition. I'd probably only stick too less starchy carbs - wholemeal stuff, fruit, veg etc. as opposed to pasta/rice/spuds, though you still need carbs in your diet for easy energy. This stuff works for me when I want to tone up. Its surprising how quickly you can change your body shape, though for the six-pack, plenty of crunches and sit ups would help. I don't bother personally, and am happy with my one-pack.

Reasonably tall, but I have a mostly-skinny build (wide shoulders from competitive swimming yonks ago, but otherwise skinny). My body fat percentage (as measured by one of those electric impedance thingies... which are notoriously inaccurate) was 11.6% yesterday. So I know I'm not "fat". I'm just trying to squeeze that little extra out of my body.

M>

Are you in training to be a Politician?

Having a 22 year old 6'-4" tall son that works out 3 times a week down the local gym, I can totally recommend the gym route.
If you want to do a general body improvement and have a more defined physic, then there is no alternative.
Its hard work (no pain - no gain) but at your age you will see positive results quite quickly providing you set yourself goals and dates.
To assist your body in re-sculpting itself and adding muscle bulk, my son drinks a diet supplement called SCITEC Volumass 35. Mixed with milk it allows your body to actually benefit and develop from the exercise more quickly than without. Its the best dietary supplement on the market. Not cheap, but it works.
In 12 months my son has increased his lean body mass from about 13 stone to 16 stone. This is not just simply bulk, but added muscle as dictated by his workout routines.
Gym IS the only route for what you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice :) Due to not so happy circumstances (celebration of life, anniversary or death, etc) today was a total rest day with no exercise.

I've heard the supplement argument several times... but coming from a reasonably athletic family (grandma still wins the prize being an Olympic gold medalist) who have always frowned upon supplements it's not something I'm willing to go with.

I'd rather eat a few more egg whites or a few more steaks than go with the random soya/whey protein :) It'll take longer, but it'll make me feel better about it!

Oh well... not looking forward to tomorrow... 5am wakeup so I can get a jog in before heading off to clientsite!

M.
M.

5am wakeup so I can get a jog in before heading off to clientsite!

Are you up?:ban: :bannana: I'm off for a 3 mile run this morning, I tend to run Mon-Fri and end with an 8.5miler on Friday's. Have a great workout!

I must confess, I wasn't up at 5am... slept in that extra hour, and ended up jogging yesterday...
Did: 5 minute walk, 10x (1min run, 1min walk), 5 min walk (following a program I found online)

Tonight should be climbing... just need to get down to the westway in time!
M.

Update; had to stay late for work, so couldn't head down to the westway... Ended up jogging (5 min brisk walk as a warmup, 7x 2min running/1min walking, 5 min cooldown brisk walk) and did 120 pushups.

Sadly, I lost weight... 65.9kg, 11.5%... Gonna look for a kettle bell tomorrow if I have time, going to see if lugging that around will do any good!

m.

I dunno if you want to lose weight or gain weight, but 0.2kg is not really that measureable so dont be disappointed. Your bodyweight will fluctuate slightly depending on if you're sweating, times of day/night etc....

A kettle bell is a large piece of equipment and not the best thing to lug around on a jog....

Your better bet is probably a weight vest which some runners use, or tie a rope round a tyre (minus the wheel) and run with that as some resistance.

Another couple of tips, if you have the time and inclination:
1. Increase your protein intake to counter act the drop in carbs, bearing in mind your body will otherwise use its next available energy source when it feels it can, which is muscle, upping your protein means your body can use it for energy.
2. Weigh your food so you can calculate how much protein/fat/carbs your eating for however many grams of the food. I wouldnt drop your carbs below 100g per day as you will start to feel sluggish and simple functions in your job will become difficult.

Last edited:
VeryTallDave how safe are supplements?

Are there any side effects?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom