Exhaust bypass pipe

Discussion in 'Performance Lounge' started by SL350_SWINDON, Apr 13, 2014.

1. SL350_SWINDON

SL350_SWINDON Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL350 2003
    Hi all, any advice on fitting an exhaust bypass pipe similar to the image: it's a basic y pipe that fits inline with the standard exhaust system with the leg venting to atmosphere. If it's too loud or not to liking the leg and be blanked off or replace the whole pipe with a straight to go back to standard. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

image-1943923890.jpg

2. Nolander

Nolander New Member

Car:
    CL500
    These were popular in certain muscle cars in the 80s but prob been around for ages, used to have a valve which would open when the pressure reached a certain level, obviously the valve could be manually operated by the driver as well. I have never heard one myself but if they go before any muffling i imagine that the noise would be very loud and very raspy, much like a engine with err..no exhaust.

3. Jim G

Jim G Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Weistec Supercharged E63
    Hi SL350,

Fitting will be down to personnel choice really the louder you want the bypass sound to be place it as close as you can to your first cat (not too sure off your exhaust set up 1 or 2 cats) or to be quieter place it up near your back box, or somewhere in between.

As Nolander says there should be a valve that will open and close either on a preset pressure or via a remote, much like Lee's (LeeC63) IPE set up that he recently had done.

Can't comment on the sound though mate as i've never heard one in person, but i can imagine that a bypass pipe just after the 1st cat would be really loud :thumb: :bannana: :devil:

One good point is that if they are clamped like the one in your pic, fitting would be a piece of cake just choose your position cut through the exhaust and done.

It would be interesting if you do get one fitted, please update us with some pics and more importantly a sound clip :D :thumb:

4. moonloops

moonloops Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    I've seen a lot of these valves fitted so they vent underneath the car - ideal for sucking in exhaust fumes back into the car.

5. OP
    OP
    SL350_SWINDON

Car:
    SL350 2003
    Moonloops that design is based on the popular ipe exhaust.
    I'm thinking of a different approach now, maybe a bypass pipe that is about 1" diameter which comes loops around the silencer box ( comes out of exhaust pipe and goes back into it after the silencer.
    Or cutting open the standard box, clearing it out and putting a smaller box inside with a straight perforated tube and welding it all up.

6. JDMUK

JDMUK Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55 AMG
  7. OP
    OP
    SL350_SWINDON

Car:
    SL350 2003
    I'm swaying towards a bypass pipe to divert around the silencer. Potentially with a manual valve inline so I can tune the noise to my taste. Something like the attached image with 22mm pipe.

image-921593628.jpg