Exhaust/Cat Heatshield - SLK200 R170

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonbent

Car
2002 R170 SLK200K
Hey folks,

The heatshield on my SLK had corroded at each of the mounting points and was sitting on the middle section of the exhaust system, just resting on the cat causing a very annoying rattle.

Took it to a garage to get it up on the ramp and have a proper look. Had it removed and the garage said don't worry about getting a replacement. What do you think? Is this going to cause problems?

Does anyone know of a good online breaker yard or other site where I could get hold of a replacement heatshield?

Cheers!

Does anyone know of a good online breaker yard or other site where I could get hold of a replacement heatshield?

£25.82 for a new one from an MB parts dept?

A used one might be a false economy, and not much better than the old one.

Removed mine on my C124 when I had it, no problems. Just makes your emissions worse by making the catalytic converter take longer to heat up (or so the garage said). Oh, and I was warned against parking on dry grass or something flammable with it off in case the very hot catalytic converter would set fire to whatever the car was parked on - don't know if that bit is true...

As for the price - at least with the W124 coupe it only comes with that section of the downpipe complete with converter (very expensive)

Cheers for the replies - I asked Mercedes about this and they quoted me the bargain price of £16.30 for the replacement heatshield. Couldn't say no to that price so have got the part on order.

Lucky you! Like I said mine only came as part of the whole catalytic converter/downpipe unit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom