EXHAUST CHROME

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Weldfixfab

Car
Cls 55 AMG
HI IS THERE ANY ONE CAN HELP ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE EXHAUST CHROME IS BADLY TAINTED IVE TRIED AUTOSOL AND ALL SORTS OF THINGS TO GET IT BACK TO ORIGINAL DO THEY COME OFF ANY HELD WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIEATED20210322_114212.jpg

Search Ebay or Amazon for "Polishing mop", less than a tenner for 5 pieces. Put some Brasso or Autosol on it. Should make a big difference. I used this on my S63 air intakes, obviously not nearly as bad as what you havechrome intake.jpg

Depends , some (my) AMG tips are welded on , I believe some are screwed in place and can be removed . I wonder what caused the chrome to go like that ? unless they have been rechromed (badly) in the past ?

Mine are still pretty shiny after 15 years and almost 150K miles . I have only polished them once or twice. It's easy to see the welds , use a mirror if you don't want to get under it.
So you are saying the ones on the other side are shiny ? Has this side been fixed after a past accident ?? 🤷‍♂️

Depends , some (my) AMG tips are welded on , I believe some are screwed in place and can be removed . I wonder what caused the chrome to go like that ? unless they have been rechromed (badly) in the past ?

Mine are still pretty shiny after 15 years and almost 150K miles . I have only polished them once or twice. It's easy to see the welds , use a mirror if you don't want to get under it.
So you are saying the ones on the other side are shiny ? Has this side been fixed after a past accident ?? 🤷‍♂️
the ones on the other side are nice and shiny no incidents or accidents in its history I've tried all sorts of stuff to no avail looks like new ones ???

No idea mate , very odd. Whatever the detailing guys on here might recommend you are probably going to have to drop the silencer down to get a machine on to the tips.
If your quad core system is like mine the drivers side is the easy one to drop, but I would remove it to lessen the chance of cracking the exhaust. It's one pipe clamp and the whole silencer will come off the rubbers and the silencer can be worked on easily. my clamp was rusted to hell so I got a new one from MB , it cost about £10.

New ones ? If they are welded on I don't think you will find originals. If all else fails they can be ground off , re chromed and welded back on . A bit extreme but it might end that way.

No idea mate , very odd. Whatever the detailing guys on here might recommend you are probably going to have to drop the silencer down to get a machine on to the tips.
If your quad core system is like mine the drivers side is the easy one to drop, but I would remove it to lessen the chance of cracking the exhaust. It's one pipe clamp and the whole silencer will come off the rubbers and the silencer can be worked on easily. my clamp was rusted to hell so I got a new one from MB , it cost about £10.

New ones ? If they are welded on I don't think you will find originals. If all else fails they can be ground off , re chromed and welded back on . A bit extreme but it might end that way.
i really dont wont to go down that route but if needs be .. think ill get the brasso out and spend a few hours with a rotary brush unless anyone has more ideas ???

Your tips are welded on, as mine were on my CLS 55. You could always try (which I have done in the past with good results) oven cleaner! It can be purchased in aerosol form now, so spray it on (comes out like foam) let it dwell and then clean off.

Your tips are welded on, as mine were on my CLS 55. You could always try (which I have done in the past with good results) oven cleaner! It can be purchased in aerosol form now, so spray it on (comes out like foam) let it dwell and then clean off.
Good tip that. Cover everything else up to prevent splatter.

If Autosol didn't do it I doubt brasso will have any impact. did you use fine wire wool with the Autosol ?
just used autosol with a cloth thought wire wool would scratch it to much .. i suppose brass wool might help ???

i like the sound of that must cover everything up good idea will post result to see if worked

Chromium is harder than iron/steel, so you can give it a go with a Brillo pad. You won't scratch chrome that way.

If you are worried about scratches experiment on the underside of the tips , the part that is only usually seen by MOT testers and members of the emergency services when you are upside down in a ditch.

I have used oven cleaner , but it normally only attacks carbon, burnt stuff.

I restore classic motorcycles. Chrome can be scratched with coarse wire wool but i get good results using 00 grade wire wool. It is incredibly fine and i use it together with chrome cleaner.

You can try some fine wet/dry emery with Autosol on it to act as a lubricant so you don't scratch the chrome. Try it on an area unseen to see how you get on

thanks im going to try this this weekend will let you know the results :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom