Exhaust flap on B Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bbbalazs007

Car
B 200d Amg Premium Plus Night Pack
I have a 2016 b class just over 40k miles
Suddenly gear changes changed and felt a bit loss of power
Stopped and started the car and issue gone
Came back a few months later / now it triggered the CEL , but after restarting the gear changes went back to normal again but the CEL remained .
took it to Mercedes after diagnostic it looks like it’s an exhaust flap issue which isn’t cover by my extended warranty😡😡😡
Including diagnostic would cost me about £950 to change the complete exhaust system
Find it super expensive for a small part and it sounds silly that the whole exhaust system needs to be replaced
Anyone here who knows a way around it or could help me get this fixed
Asked around a few Indy garages and no one seems to know much about this …….and I can’t seem to find the part online either
I understand it needs to be fixed and happy to pay ( even tho it’s very annoying issue and probably a bad design ) but not £800 ( I paid £150 already for the diagnostic )
Thanks for your help

There was a recent thread about this in the Engine section of the forum.

I have a 2016 b class just over 40k miles
Suddenly gear changes changed and felt a bit loss of power
Stopped and started the car and issue gone
Came back a few months later / now it triggered the CEL , but after restarting the gear changes went back to normal again but the CEL remained .
took it to Mercedes after diagnostic it looks like it’s an exhaust flap issue which isn’t cover by my extended warranty😡😡😡
Including diagnostic would cost me about £950 to change the complete exhaust system
Find it super expensive for a small part and it sounds silly that the whole exhaust system needs to be replaced
Anyone here who knows a way around it or could help me get this fixed
Asked around a few Indy garages and no one seems to know much about this …….and I can’t seem to find the part online either
I understand it needs to be fixed and happy to pay ( even tho it’s very annoying issue and probably a bad design ) but not £800 ( I paid £150 already for the diagnostic )
Thanks for your help
Hi, here is some info on this fault I have come across on B classes. For some reason it has come up and has been a false error. The fault was actually the fuel flap actuator gone faulty due to use and water ingress. Do you have intermittent problems with opening your fuel flap? This has been my own experience with 3 B classes of similar age and yes they threw up engine management light. Might not be your problem but I am sharing my own experiences with them models. If it is actually your flap in the exhaust then if you get under it and tap it repeatedly with a small hammer and try spray wd40 or something into it , it will free it up. Them flaps are more common to stick sometimes during hot weather or after a big thud in a pothole or bad road. They are easily freeed up tho.

I have had issues with file cap opening as it wouldn’t open but they changed it not long ago
However it is interesting as the 2 issues appeared at the same time on the very first occasion

I have had issues with file cap opening as it wouldn’t open but they changed it not long ago
However it is interesting as the 2 issues appeared at the same time on the very first occasion
You will find it has most likely NOT been replaced and only been lubricated (WHICH DOES NOT SOLVE THIS FAULT). I would buy a mercedes one yourself and it is literally a 2 minute job to change. It is not a coincidence by the sound of it. The fault is being mis diagnosed and pointing to the wrong thing.

The diagnosis came back with p13c271 and p13c298 error code the first is exhaust flap and the second is over temp exhaust
It is just very frustrating
The car is in mint condition no issue low mileage and this supposedly will cost me £900 😡😡😡😡😡
And now they want me to do an other diagnosis for £190 as the previous one was over 3 months ago
Even tho the issue is the same!!!!

The diagnosis came back with p13c271 and p13c298 error code the first is exhaust flap and the second is over temp exhaust
It is just very frustrating
The car is in mint condition no issue low mileage and this supposedly will cost me £900 😡😡😡😡😡
And now they want me to do an other diagnosis for £190 as the previous one was over 3 months ago
Even tho the issue is the same!!!!
skip that and go to an independent garage. Ask the garage to free up ur exhaust valve. simply tell them its started sticking a bit lately. ( only if you are absolutely positive it is the exhaust flap ). I am still inclined to say this is a mis/diagnosis. yes these codes might be present but are they correct?

Thanks a lot for your advise
I’ll take it to a garage and see what they say
Also written to Mercedes regarding my concerns
Will keep you updated

Thanks a lot for your advise
I’ll take it to a garage and see what they say
Also written to Mercedes regarding my concerns
Will keep you updated
Unfortunately mercedes are just doing things by the book. Following present error codes.i will never understand why there isnt a common faults Database for mercedes models and false codes THAT CAN come up. It would save time hassle and money for all involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom