exhaust fumes!! Desperate!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike groome

:confused: can anny one help please?

We have an old 190 that somebody has put a 2.6 engine in. We cannot open the windows as exhaust fumes pour in which is really unpleasant!

Its been to the dealers who cannot help!

My email is [email protected]

tHANKS!!

mike

mike groome said:
Its been to the dealers who cannot help!

Mike,

Was it a Mercedes main dealer? I suspect not as surely they could have fixed it for you.

The only thing I can think of is to check the fuse for the windows. I'm assuming they're electric.

Good luck.

Could the garage not even work out where the fumes were coming from? There must be a leak in the system somewhere. Is the exhaust blowing at all?

Either the exhaust is leaking, as suggested, or there is a hole in the rear of the car allowing fumes to be sucked in. Check the boot seal and the ventilation one way flap at the rear of the car.

Leaking manifold or exhaust system should be pretty easy to spot.

Sure these are exhaust fumes? Once had a Cortina (sad but true) which stank thanks to an engine breather pipe that had come adrift. Crankcase fumes are pretty evil as well.

Dieselman said:
Check the boot seal and the ventilation one way flap at the rear of the car.

If there's no obvious leak the this is my favourite!

Dieselman said:
Either the exhaust is leaking, as suggested, or there is a hole in the rear of the car allowing fumes to be sucked in. Check the boot seal and the ventilation one way flap at the rear of the car.
Dear Dieselman

Thanks for the reply. Can you give me any indication where the ventilation one way flap is please as we have no idea!

Thanks

Mike

They are behind the bumper on either side of the car. Remove the carpet linings on each side of the boot and you should see them down in each well. One of them may be blocked or stuck in an open position. the most obvious candidate would be the nearside near the exhaust outlet.

The other scary scenario is that the wells could be perforated with rust. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom