exhaust fumes inside cabin on w124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rumelk

Car
Mercedes Benz 200e
Hi peeps,

got a bit of an issue,i keep getting exhause fume smells into the car while im driving. Usually on the motorway where it's the worst. Initially thought it might have been the heater/fan but they have been switched off and it still comes in to cabin (even at low speeds).

I recently changed the heater matrix, but i dont see how that would effect it.

I have a W124 saloon, any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure it is an exhaust smell rather than burning oil or something?

Is your exhaust blowing anywhere at all? Try putting something over the end of your exhaust temporarily and the car should begin to stall. If you've got leaks you'll find them.

Another thing to look for is to check that the airvents in the boot on lower sections either side still have the flaps in place and that they arent jammed open. Its easier to check them from outside the car between bumper and rear quarter panels. These vents if stuck open can allow exhaust fumes into the cabin via the boot.

ive been told ny a friend of mine that because my rear bumper doesnt have the exhaust cut out, its just hovering around the bumper and then eventually entering the vehicle. I will have a look at those flap, bacause even if the fumes were hovering theres no way of it entering the cabin?

Thats a strange one?!

How about the steering column gator? Might be broken.
Olivier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom