Exhaust Gas Temperature

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

We have a need for thermocouples at work at the mo and have been doing a bit of experimenting on my 80 mile trek to work.
Today it was turbo temperature. I jammed a thermocouple into the big circular clamp that clamps the down pipe to the turbo.

Results cruising at 70 mph temperatures anywhere between 190 and 230 deg C depending on inclines etc.

Really gunned it for a few long hills and i mean really gunned it and temperature peaked at 356 deg C.

Might be of use to someone.

Will try oil temperature later in the week.

Soz car is 1998 E 300 Turbodiesel Estate

Thanks,

Hi

We have a need for thermocouples at work at the mo and have been doing a bit of experimenting on my 80 mile trek to work.
Today it was turbo temperature. I jammed a thermocouple into the big circular clamp that clamps the down pipe to the turbo.

Results cruising at 70 mph temperatures anywhere between 190 and 230 deg C depending on inclines etc.

Really gunned it for a few long hills and i mean really gunned it and temperature peaked at 356 deg C.

Might be of use to someone.

Will try oil temperature later in the week.

Soz car is 1998 E 300 Turbodiesel Estate

Thanks,

Yes, the max ever reach in a diesel is around 400c and a petrol 600c this is why they are going to inject cold air into the system to make the exhaust hotter to get rid of the particles for the 2009 specs where the max allowed will be 0.050g

Interesting 230K. What you really need is an upstream temperature as the turbo reduces the temp by a couple of hundred degrees, but isn't uniform.

It would be really interesting so get the drill out...:D

Hi Dieselman

I was only clamped to outside of the downstream flange or jammed in the big clip if you know what i mean. I could take the temperature of the manifold i guess although it would only be indicative and not the true EGT.
Drill will stay where it is for the mo.:D :D

Thought it would be of interest to you because you are always mentioning EGT's for before and after chipping etc.

Yes, the max ever reach in a diesel is around 400c and a petrol 600c

Do you mean upstream or downstream EGT.

The upstream will reach 800c, the downstream somewhat less.
I thought petrols went higher than diesels, 1600F (870C) is not unheard of.

Thought it would be of interest to you because you are always mentioning EGT's for before and after chipping etc.

Thanks.

The EGT is a good indication of engine efficiency and economy on a diesel. the more fuel burnt, the higher the EGT.

It sounds like you may be underfuelling at full whack as the highest was only 365c. Give say 200c as turbo usage so 565c. Plenty left to go at...:devil: :D

Might be worth checking your MAF is good.

Hi

MAF is fine (or at least i hope it is) not long new. It takes a good few seconds for the temp to start rising when on boost so its not a great indicator of EGT really only of the outside of the turbo which obviously takes time to heat etc etc.

Just went out and clamped the thermocouple to the underside of the little heat shield on the manifold of no.1 cylinder. You know where i mean Dieselman;) so will report again tomorrow eve hopefully. Might even gun her (a little:rolleyes: ) if the traffic is light at 6.30 in the morn.

Oh can someone explain what this link is all about?? http://www.stealth316.com/2-turbotemp.htm

Interesting document on EGT's here http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/publications/images/ExhaustGasTemperatureMonitor.pdf

Bit more reading for those who are interested http://www.steves.co.za/Engine_Protection_Units_1.html

Thanks,

Last edited:
The link is for calculations of intake air temperature both after turbo-charging and then after intercooling.

It will be interesting to see what temps you record on the outside of the manifold, they won't be full gas temp.

Do you mean upstream or downstream EGT.

The upstream will reach 800c, the downstream somewhat less.
I thought petrols went higher than diesels, 1600F (870C) is not unheard of.
This is for the new 2009 regs

The Particulates emitted by a diesel engine have a combustion temperature of around 400c and diesel exhaust seldom reach this temperature, the ideas under way are to raise the exhaust temperature above that which is required to ignite the particles or reduce the combustion temperature of the particulates.

Super heating the exhaust gases is done by using a late injection pulse, this late pulse ensures that the combustion is still taking place when the exhaust valve is opened, this would mean that combustion is still taking place in the exhaust.

The other ideas are to reduce the particulates burning temperature is an additive in a separate tank

I take it the temperature being referred to there is the exhaust temperature at the particulate trap, so post turbo.

The upstream EGT will be significantly hotter.

I take it the temperature being referred to there is the exhaust temperature at the particulate trap, so post turbo.

The upstream EGT will be significantly hotter.

Yes I am only referring to the exhaust down stream and thoughts on getting the particulates down to 0.005 from the current 0,025g/km

This is for the new 2009 regs

Super heating the exhaust gases is done by using a late injection pulse, this late pulse ensures that the combustion is still taking place when the exhaust valve is opened, this would mean that combustion is still taking place in the exhaust.

QUOTE]

My Land Cruiser (EU4) does something along the lines of that from cold to get the Cat. up to temperature quickly, keeping the EGR closed and will not allow the transmission to go into top gear lock up.

Result is that on cold start up it sounds dreadful and runs like a pig. After 3-4 minutes normal injection cycle etc and all gets a lot more civilised. Of course nobody told me that until I made a fuss and the dealer had to get somebody from technical support on the phone to explain it to me.

It will be interesting to see what temps you record on the outside of the manifold, they won't be full gas temp.

Think i must have broken the end of the thermocouple tightened the heat shield too tight onto it, got duff readings of 100 deg or so. Will try with another thermocouple if we have any left over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom