Exhaust graphite sealing ring blowing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

striker600

Car
2001 c270 cdi avantgarde estate Auto w203
Part of the exhaust system on my C270 CDI is blowing.more noticeable when engine is cold.Having looked at the system from in my brothers garage inspection pit,it seems to be blowing from between the turbo and the first cat.
I am thinking of having a go at changing the following parts-the graphite sealing ring & sealing ring for between the end of the cat & middle section pipe just incase.
It looks like the turbo&cat joint is held in place with a U shaped clamp.
Dose anyone know if its easy to remove&refit this clamp to replace the graphite sealing ring,&also the gasket at the rear of the cat where it joins the middle section pipe?

Last edited:
Hi i think the 'U' shaped clamp you talk of is actually a spring clamp that snaps shut on the join between the flanges of the cat and centre section.
When you buy these new they come pre loaded. With a piece in the centre that stops it from snapping shut until you have it in place. I believe it is possible to remove and re-fit these but it wont be easy....

Dose this spring clamp have to be renewed or can the old one be reused?
Also what sort of clamp is fitted to the front of the cat where it joins to the turbo? It looks a bit tight for working space for this repair job.

It is adviseable to renew the spring clamp yes. It will save you a lot of time (and swearing). The turbo to cat clamp is usually the standard wrap around clamp with a bolt to tighten it up and shouldnt cause too much trouble.

Spring clamp should set you back £23 ish
The graphite ring is £14 ish

It's probably blowing due to the cat being blocked. Being a RWD car the exhaust doesn't need to slip at the joint so the ring shouldn't wear out.

Thanks Gareth.MB in sheffield have the graphite ring in stock,but i will check with them regarding the spring clamp.I have been there with the "swearing"more times than once,so i will ask MB for a quote for fitting & also a exhaust fitting center

Last edited:
It's probably blowing due to the cat being blocked. Being a RWD car the exhaust doesn't need to slip at the joint so the ring shouldn't wear out.

Seconded.

Buy the preloaded clamp too unless you have Arnie arms.

I am going to buy the pre loaded clamp.I wouldnt say i have arnie arms but i do train them at the gym twice a week!
Going back to the sealing ring between cat&turbo,it dose seem to be blowing especialy when cold when bliping throttle (revving engine with bonnet open)
I have noticed a bit of engine&exhaust movement when revving engine(I wouldnt say its too excessive though)
I take your point with it being rwd cos most of my past fwd cars especialy cavalier sri 130, calibras&most vauxhalls i have onend have eaten the dam things!

Last edited:

Dieselman,i will remove the cat&check if its blocked.if it is hows best to un block it? with a shake or gentle tap? or with a cleaning product?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom