Exhaust Heat Protection plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisp

Car
W447 - V250 XLWB
Well on the CLK230 (2000 model) the heat plate that seems to protect the body from the exhaust heat fell off.

Not had the car to long, bought from MB Direct so though I'd call the support number to see if they'd help as one hell of a noise was coming from the underside. After speaking to various people in Germany (i think) and a couple of people at the original garage ws told that it wasn't covered and they wouldn't help. The best they told me to do was go to MB chelsea and pay for it to be refitted. hmmmmmm

Anyway luckily we have garage in the family so popped it round to Dad's on the way home and we chucked it up on the ramp. Usual problem, the holes had justed enlarged around the original washers. Easily fixed with some even bigger washers. MB could have done this for free really seeing as I haven't had the car 4 months. I would have been more than happy to drive to my local dealer which incidentally isn't chelsea as that's miles away but they insisted it was closest.

Anyway while up on the ramp we had a look at the state of the rest of the underside. Well an absolute disgrace, oil leaking from the rear diff, corrosion everywhere, and the exhaust appears to be held in place with a piece of welled 8mm stud bent round the pipe!

This just goes to show i think that prep on the cars isn't too great. When I picked it up the radio didn't work and flashed CODE.

Maybe it's time for a trip back to BMW to get rid of the thing. It looks like an exhaust will be needed soon!

Apparently the plate isn't covered under any assistance as the failure is neither mechanical or electrical. Just seems like an easy get out to me. This NEVER happened when I had the 5 series, BM were great.

anyway, we'll see. :(

Anyway while up on the ramp we had a look at the state of the rest of the underside. Well an absolute disgrace, oil leaking from the rear diff, corrosion everywhere,

Its quite scary when you look underneath the non galvanised cars (all MB cars before MY05). I looked under mine and was appalled at the lack of rust protection. I'm thinking of getting it professionally waxoyled. At least then I know it wont fall apart for a while.

When people say 'there's no rust on my car' (as I did for a while) then they obviously havent taken a look underneath.

Robbo said:
When people say 'there's no rust on my car' (as I did for a while)

Fool. Of course there is.

I would agree about rustproofing, I did my car a few years ago and will give it another shot this year, if done correctly it really does work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom