exhaust manifold torque settings ml 270 cdi???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang

Car
ml 270 brabus d4,
hi all. i am changing me exhaust manifold gasket and "now" also my turbo to exhaust gasket. i put a post in a few months ago asking why it was whistling ? got so fed up with trying all sorts of things i got the ump and stripped it down. anyway it was blowing on the front one and also turbo gasket. so all stripped down and ready to be put back " once i drill out the snapped studd and helicoil it"

what is the torque setting for the exhaust manifold " the nuts into the studs" ??

ta :bannana:

Last edited:
Havent a clue but thought i would mention this is also a very common fault on the landrover discovery td5 5 cylinder engine due to manifold warpage, check it on a work bench also worse on chipped cars trust me i know:D

I actually bought a spare manifold had it machined flat ready, the studs were m8 and pulled out of the head on no5 cylinder nearest the bulkhead.

Last one i did i drilled 8 of the 10 exhaust stud mount holes slightly oversize allowing the manifold to creep, also fitted manifold nuts from a renault 19td as these had a built in washer and also allowed some movement, was still fine several thousand miles later when i sold the car.

Lynall

Not sure how to add pictures but technical Torque sheet states 30Nm with new studs fitted, I would recomend a good quality copper slip or high temp lubrication paste just incase you ever want to take them off again!

Cant imagine many Technicians would torque exhaust studs though.

ML 270 CDI leaking exhaust manifold

Well its kinda strange, this old thread, and the problem with broken stud and leaking manifold is not very usual. i had this whistling sound occuring at about 2000-2200 RPM on my ML 270 CDI. I thought it was the wastegate until my cousin saw black smoke around the exhaust manifold at the bulkhead. Upon removing i found out one of the studs were broken, and at that time i already read this thread and thought the manifold might be warped. So upon checking the manifold i could see it was clearly warped and has to be machined.

The studs are only going 17mm into the cylinder head, and the threaded hole in the head is about 27mm. so after drillling and removing the old bits, i will use a special 26mm long stud in that hole due to the outermost M8 threads beeing damaged.

Oddemann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom