Exhaust manifold treatment - Calyx

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Cross posted from my W114 coupe rebuild thread, but a really nice product for bringing up an exhaust manifold.

Today's job was cleaning up the exhaust manifold and downpipe. ss201 had recommended Calyx manifold treatment in another thread, so I ordered some and picked up the necessary cheap toothbrushes to apply it this morning.

Slightly rusty manifold and more rusty downpipe (don't clean something then leave it out in the rain).

manifoldx1_zpsk89el1wz.jpg

Detail

manifoldx2_zpsnoatxv7r.jpg

Brush the rust off, clean off residue and dirt, then apply with toothbrush and rag to polish.

manifoldx3_zpsp0tepb7j.jpg

Close up

manifoldx4_zpsgcryij5e.jpg

A couple of spots missed but the effect is excellent, downpipe has come up well too. No idea on longevity but it's a nice finish on what would otherwise be a slightly tatty look. Easy to apply and work too.

Featured over on the MB Official site too!

Does it need lots of polishing to achieve that effect? it really transforms those manifolds. Wonder if it would work on a slightly 'furry' engine block?

Not really - apply with toothbrush, then a quick rub over. I'm sure it could be more shiny with more effort, but being bone idle I was happy with the effect achieved with a very limited amount of polishing.

I imagine it would work in a similar fashion, just wire brush and clean it first. Personally I've painted my block.

Looks good, would it improve any more, if you applied more coats?

Looks nice.
Looks like the same graphite paste as is used on cast iron fireplaces, some of which I've got somewhere.

That is spot on a111r, it's graphite.

Nigel - possibly.

Very pleased to know my recommendation worked, Charles. The manifolds look really good. What a difference between the "before and after" photos!

:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom