exhaust noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esox

When i start my 230K from cold the exhaust sounds like it could be blowing .possibly from the ex. manifold-its not overly loud but if even the wife has noticed it then theres something there right?However, after about a minute (by the time ive closed the gates) its quitened down,anybody else with a 230k noticed this?

often happens with small exhaust leeks on many cars

as the exhaust warms up and expands it seals the hole...

this is often an exhuast manifold gasget as the exhuast maniflod warms up much quicker then the cyclinder head and so expands quicker.

A cracked manifold will also do that ......but 99% of the time its something simple like a gasget or sealing ring.

get it checked out tho as it wont get better on its own.

Get it back into the dealer and kick up hell as it should be still under warranty. An exhaust should last longer than 2 years !!

Ive got the exact same problem with the 200K flavour, what did you do to resolve the problem in the end??

I don`t think its anything to worry about as my 230K is just the same.

The cars been on the ramps at a local s/h car dealers and we couldnt find a leak (12 months ago - its got no worse since) and we concluded then it`s a quirk of the Kompressor.

A colleagues SLK 230K sounds just the same.

Cars in for a B sevice at Andy Gayle next week - I`ll ask Andy about it if you like.

Late update!!

I took mine to the local dealership as well, basically said the same thing, just a quirk with the Kompressor!

Wonder if theres anything that can dampen the noise.

My dads old SLK used to do this so I think it is a charateristic of the Kompressor engine. Did it for years without getting any worse.

marcos said:
My dads old SLK used to do this so I think it is a charateristic of the Kompressor engine. Did it for years without getting any worse.

my C200K W203 used to do that as well within the first couple od montsh of ownership straight from factory - but after a while it quitened down - it was the kompressor....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom