Exhaust note difference between the E63 6.3 and the C63 6.3 M156.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
Im sure all the variants of E63 and C63 sound different with the M156 engine.

W211 E63 has a different tone to that of the W212 I'm certain of this. And the C63 sounds different again to that of the E class.

Different diameter piping, length of piping, the actual back box tips. They all have their own unique sound I think.

It seems the rear mufflers of the E class are purposely set up to give a less exhaust note/bark, that the C class 156 does.

The W211 definitely has a different tone to the W212.

I think it was @Alps who fitted a C63 exhaust to his E55K and it made a big difference from what I recall.

I think it was @Alps who fitted a C63 exhaust to his E55K and it made a big difference from what I recall.

I remember reading about him doing it. I did exactly the same with my 55k. Made a massive difference, all for the better in my opinion.

In my experience:

The smaller the car, the louder and “harder” the exhaust nite. The larger the car, the quieter and “softer” the exhaust note.

The newer the model, the louder and “harder” the exhaust nite. The older the model, the quieter and “softer” the exhaust note.

In my experience:

The smaller the car, the louder and “harder” the exhaust nite. The larger the car, the quieter and “softer” the exhaust note.

The newer the model, the louder and “harder” the exhaust nite. The older the model, the quieter and “softer” the exhaust note.

Exhaust nite version now that would be a great invention. Nite mode day mode ;)

lol every time I read exhaust note I think someone is sticking their nose in it and sniffs it.

Not in mine.
W204 C63 M156
Only 1 mode - LOUD. ;)

Not in mine. W204 C63 M156. Only 1 mode - YOB. ;)

Fixed that for you...

These days, it's what the market seems to want.

I know it’s not strictly 6.2 litre M156 related, however ...Having driven a car with a 4.0 litre M178 engine most during lockdown I took a car with a 5.5 litre M157 out for a spin this evening. My goodness it was quiet in comparison. I suspect the 6.2 litre M156 will be serene by comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom