Exhaust notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 11979
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

Does anyone know what makes an exhaust sound a certain way?

For example, and old mgc or e type sound superb with its straight six, whereas my 1973 series III Land Rover sounds ok, but not at all in their league.

Clearly the next question is is it possible to get an exhaust to make the Land Rover sound more similar to the other two cars, or is it to do with cams and other magical stuff?

Any advice appreciated

Forgot to mention the Land Rover is fitted with a 2.6 litre straight six

I believe the 6 cylinder petrol engine fitted to the LWB landrover was ported over from the older rover P4 saloons and as such would have the overhead inlet [ push rod+rocker arm] + side exhaust valve configuration. That coupled to possible siamesed [ common] exhaust ports ??* might give it a unique exhaust signature. The thing that often characterises an exhaust note is the shape of the exhaust manifold- a tubular gas- flowed exhaust manifold - the so called \"bunch of bananas"--might give you the sound you desire- but at a price!

IOE engine - Wikipedia
eng_tns.jpg

attachment.php

ps I was wrong about the exhaust ports but that exhaust manifold - gas flowed it ain't!
attachment.php

taken from this rather nice thread
2.6L, 6 pot rebuild - Defender Source

Last edited:
Forgot to add that one of the advantages of the IOE [ intake/inlet over exhaust or F head] engine design was its ability to run relatively high compression ratios with very low grade fuel possibly why Land Rover kept it in their LWB models with an eye to overseas markets?
edit is this what your landie sounds like?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I would expect that a custom exhaust would make the biggest difference.
Another option would be to get the sound played through the stereo (Isn't that what BMW do?)

The Rover 90 in the clip sounds rather good, imho. Rather a refined 6-cyl sound. And much better than the 2.25 4-cylinder petrol usually found in the Series III Land Rover! Of course, the past way of improving the sound was to swap the I6 for the Rover/Buick 3.5 V8, but I’d imagine that’s a rather expensive conversion these days compared to 10-20 years ago. And anyway, not very purist: presumably an I6 Land Rover is now quite a rarity?

A little on valve adjustment here.
http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/chassis/enis73/V2I735406.pdf
Problem with exhaust valve adjustment is that the side valve chest cover under the exhaust manifold has to be removed to make clearance adjustment. Its unclear whether clearance is made hot or cold and whether the exhaust manifold needs to be removed to gain access? I suspect exhaust valve adjustment may not have been a priority on these engines?;)

It’s had quite a lot of engine work done to it over the past year and the engine is quieter than the one in the clip, but the exhaust note is similar, it’s a nice noise!

The assumptions about the engine are correct, the valve adjustment is written on a plate on the engine, and it tells you whether to do it hot or cold, it’s been done and is like a sewing machine.

The exhaust manifold is awful as noted, and I think the engine has only a few more bhp than the 2.25 petrol, but it’s got more low down torque so you can generally tackle anything one gear higher.

V8, V8??????? Sacrilege my good man! I sought out this machine purely down to its engine, and I’m glad it did, it is rare nowadays due mainly to them being abused to death, and them not being great when new!

I had a mate who had the 3 litre Westlake headed version of that engine in a P5 saloon. Once you got the hang of steering it like a 3 masted frigate it could be hustled along a winding road at a reasonable lick. Happy days as long as you weren't paying for the tyres! ;)

I love the p5, a lovely looking car in the early versions, not taken by the v8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom