Exhaust Options R129SL 300 24V engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanMorgan

Car
R129 500SL, W124 300CE Twin Turbo, W210 E55 AMG, W211 E320 CDI Sport
Hi all,

I'm planning on booking my R129 SL for a full stainless steel system, however I was wondering if anyone has done the same to their 300 24v engine?

I'm planning on removing one silencer (As it has 3) and undecided about removing/keeping the resonator. The plan is to have the car quite loud :cool:. Any ideas on how it will sound with or without the resonator?

Many of you might think this is bad for the car, but its not my daily drive and I would rarely be doing motorway driving so the droning noise will not bother me.

Cheers,
Dan

It's an academic question if you're having a s/s system made up as the overall noise will depend to a large extent on the size/design of the back box.

FWIW though removing the resonator (centre muffler) from the stock exhaust system only made a slight difference on my 500.

It's an academic question if you're having a s/s system made up as the overall noise will depend to a large extent on the size/design of the back box.

FWIW though removing the resonator (centre muffler) from the stock exhaust system only made a slight difference on my 500.

That is true, I want it to be good loud, and not 3 cyclinder back box loud if you know what I mean. I will probably get one silencer removed and the resonator removed.

I bet your 500 sounds sweet! Any videos?

I bet your 500 sounds sweet! Any videos?

Sure :)

This is after I replaced the stock cats with sports ones:

[YOUTUBE HD]5FLwN7hma4c[/YOUTUBE HD]

I did accidentally run it without any cats at all for a while (long story!) ... that was louder but had an annoying rasp/rattle at around 1500 rpm.

TBH I could live with the car being a little louder but that would mean changing the backbox and I prefer the OEM look. Aftermarket s/s ones are typically much more visible (being a generic shape they usually have to be hung a bit lower in order to fit).

Hi all,

I'm planning on booking my R129 SL for a full stainless steel system, however I was wondering if anyone has done the same to their 300 24v engine?

I'm planning on removing one silencer (As it has 3) and undecided about removing/keeping the resonator. The plan is to have the car quite loud :cool:. Any ideas on how it will sound with or without the resonator?

Many of you might think this is bad for the car, but its not my daily drive and I would rarely be doing motorway driving so the droning noise will not bother me.

Cheers,
Dan

you can try something like this

amgexhaust.jpg

(not required) those are cats on my exhaust, you wont have that

mazza

I wouldnt advocate cat removal given the changes in MOT regulations.

You could opt for what I did which is the cheap option.

[YOUTUBE]cmI3MSRjcak[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom