Exhaust paint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob77

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 W201 2.6 Sportline; 2011 S204 C350 CDI Sport; 1978 Foale/Suzuki GS750; 1994 Aprilia Pegaso 650
I bought new middle and rear exhaust sections for my car. They are new but have those scuffs in the paint that things get from bumping into one another.

Should I find some heat resistant paint and touch up those scuffed areas, to prevent rusting or am I just being silly? :eek:

The paint on your nice shiny exhaust will soon burn off anyway, especially on the pipe parts as opposed to the boxes, so I wouldn't worry too much.

You could try pot-black paint that they use for motorbike engines. Either that or any heat resistant paint sold by the likes of Halfrauds.

I bought an AMG rear box on eBay, unused but with some 'storage & transportation' bumps and scratches. I sprayed that with heat proof black paint from Halfords (I think, I already had it lying around) - took 10 mins and it looked 100% better afterwards. If the boxes are M-B they should be stainless steel, so this is only cosmetic really.

Thanks Bill, my exhausts are MB. I hadn't even considered they might be stainless since they're coated in a grey paint. Excellent, if they are though :cool:

I think I'll go root round Halfords, later in the week and see if I can find some suitable paint to touch up the scuffs, just because I'm funny that way but I won't worry if I cant find any as it seems its only a cosmetic exercise and the bit you can see is perfect anyway.

Rob77 said:
Thanks Bill, my exhausts are MB. I hadn't even considered they might be stainless since they're coated in a grey paint. Excellent, if they are though :cool:

I think I'll go root round Halfords, later in the week and see if I can find some suitable paint to touch up the scuffs, just because I'm funny that way but I won't worry if I cant find any as it seems its only a cosmetic exercise and the bit you can see is perfect anyway.

I dont think that all MB exhausts are stainless steel and alot of them on the older generation Mercs came in a grey/black painted finish where newer models now come in a standard silver finish.

I didn't think any of the standard MB exhausts are stainless, they are alumised mild steel to reduce corrosion.

Dieselman said:
I didn't think any of the standard MB exhausts are stainless, they are alumised mild steel to reduce corrosion.

Really? Even on S class etc?

Dieselman said:
The AMG boxes are stainless, made by someone like Sebring, as for the others you are probably right :)

Shude said:
The AMG boxes are stainless, made by someone like Sebring, as for the others you are probably right :)

Come on guys.. this is MB who cut costs/corners and cannot even be bothered to decent paint jobs on our cars:rolleyes: There is no way apart from the AMGs that the exhausts are stainless steel. My old S Class went through 3* OEM back boxes in the space of 3 and a half years and before I sold it it needed a whole new exhaust front/centre/rear boxes which I had replaced by Stealer with the OEM parts because I was very naive back then and used to think that the sun used to shine out of the Stealer’s…..

The rear section on my C250TD was stainless and painted black, VHT paint (very high temperature) will work well on all but the front sections, but it must be cured with a little heat to work properly.

Dieselman said:

Correct,and they work very well in terms of a compromise between noise,cost and lifespan.The only stainless section is the bit around the cat.My E320 is on the original 12 year old exhaust.
Avoid cheaper aftermarket thin wall stainless steel on non-sports cars.....it is in general too noisy.

adam

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom