Exhaust rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 6183

Hi,

I have done a search but not found any specific posts to refer to.

My W211 has started rattling upon start up, I have traced the sound to the driver's side exhaust and it can be replicated by giving the exhaust tip a kick.

There is no rattle during use.

Anyone else had the same issue?

It's been in to the garage today, it was a rusted exhaust bracket.

They made a new one and welded it in place, £36, pretty happy with that.

Sounds like a lucky escape, I've got a rattle on my SL which I bought a month ago and I'm told it's the cats breaking up, DOH! :(

Cats was my fear, I had a chat with one of the garage guys today and mentioned gutting them if/when the time comes. He reckoned that it would fail the MOT.

Cats was my fear, I had a chat with one of the garage guys today and mentioned gutting them if/when the time comes. He reckoned that it would fail the MOT.

Find another tester. It will fail if the station sticks to the letter of the law, but unless they were told the cats were gutted, how would they know?

A note on exhaust rattles.
Due to differences in thermal expansion heat shields and mounting brackets are often the culprits.
Long bodied catalysts/ DPF's can have 2 substrates bonded in with a gap in-between.
Sometimes material can brake loose in the middle so it is not always obvious where the problem lies.
Check for dents/ grounding damage to cat's. Most OE cats have ceramic substrates that are brittle and will break up.
If you are going to gut your cats wear a mask.there are a lot of rare earth metals in there that your body doesn't know how to deal with if breathed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom