exhaust rear box touching body and diesel tank - MOT fail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

i fitted a new exhaust to my car yesterday and because of the length of the pipe being slightly longer than the old one the pipe that leads to the backbox touches the body slighly and the diesel tank.

the pipe doesnt get that hot (can hold it with your hand) so i dont think its a big concern, for me anyway.

but will it pass an MOT like this? I am happy with it as it is but want to know if it will be OK for the MOT as otherwise i will shorten the pipe with the help of an angle grinder, but really cant be bothered to do it today, but assume the longer i leave it on there, the harder it will be for the two pieces to seperate again?

cheers

derek

it'll bang = drive you mad. Shorten it mate.

it'll bang = drive you mad. Shorten it mate.

i will eventually, i just dont have time right now. It doesnt bang - its quite tight against so it is not knocking. It also means one of the rear hangers is stretched a bit too much. i need to know if it will be OK for an MOT or whether i need to fix it before then, i'd rather wait until another time if possible.

Come Derek, why give your MoT inspector a chance of failing it. He might be having a bad day!! And if he spots that he may just link it to another issue that may have caught his eye.

Sounds like a safety issue to me too! Are you running out of MoT the day you test it.

i fitted a new exhaust to my car yesterday and because of the length of the pipe being slightly longer than the old one the pipe that leads to the backbox touches the body slighly and the diesel tank.

Why not pay someone in an exhaust centre £20 to fit it properly?

Save getting your hands dirty again.

If it's touching it seems like and accident waiting to happen...

Fix it.

It will heat up and if it doesn't bang and rattle it will wear into that tank.:eek:

ok, its fixed. only took an hour and that included moving the car again with the backbox off so i could get the SL out the driveway to go to B&Q for a new cutting disc. :doh:

no longer touches and a decent fit.

I think the main issue was the centre section was about 1.5 inches longer than the old one (as i only fitted new stuff from the cat backwards), plus the backbox is a ebay really cheapo thing - £30 i think!

saying that the car is transformed! nice and quiet like it used to be now. Total cost was about £100 for both boxes and as i fitted myself labour is free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom