Exhaust Sound Advice - I'm a novice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R12-

Car
Mercedes C Class AMG
Hi Guys,

Please be patient as it's my first Mercedes I've purchased.

My only question was if it was possible to change the exhaust on my Mercedes C220 AMG to make it sound like the C63?

I know one may ponder as to why, but not all of us can afford the C63 and have to make do with what we can.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

R12-

why do people who own diesel cars wish to emulate Petrol cars from the same marque, seen it on honda and lexus forums also. You own a diesel, it will never be a petrol.

The guy did post he's a novice so I'm sure was looking for practical advice not sarcy comments ��

You can get a sports exhaust that will make it sound better, but not like a C63..... but do check out sports exhausts first as many can be boomy and reasonant at certain revs. I'm sure the good guys on here could point you in the right direction.....

That answers my question and I very much appreciate it.

I guess I'll need to focus my efforts on getting the C63 itself oppose to wasting money on converting.

Many thanks once again chaps.

I guess I'll need to focus my efforts on getting the C63 itself oppose to wasting money on converting.

Over the years I've seen many attempts at sports exhausts on diesels and none sound any better.

Your options are get a petrol C class. C350 maybe? Get conversion exhaust on that. Won't sound like a V8 but will be millions of times better and still frugal.

Anyway get some photos of your Merc posted :)

I have just had one of these systems fitted to my 320 cdi, its sounds great a nice burble on tick over and growl on boost, not boomy at all inside.

Shop - Ulter Sport

The car is also more free revving :) You will never get it to sound like a v8 mind lol. But you will certainly get many more miles from a tank of fuel:D

I have just had one of these systems fitted to my 320 cdi, its sounds great a nice burble on tick over and growl on boost, not boomy at all inside.

Shop - Ulter Sport

The car is also more free revving :) You will never get it to sound like a v8 mind lol. But you will certainly get many more miles from a tank of fuel:D

Agreed.

My four cylinder Alpina diesel was close to 270bhp and sounded great with the sports exhaust.

A remap will bring 25% more power and torque.

Of course you could always go "STD" and make a C63 look silly :)

There was a guy on here who did a quad exhaust on an slk 250 oil burner maybe he could shed some light on this for you? But i can't remember his name...I think he posted the other day saying he had wrote it off and now has an M3?

Tony.

R12- said:
My only question was if it was possible to change the exhaust on my Mercedes C220 to make it sound like the C63?

If you're having to ask this question, seriously question yourself as to wether you want your car or a C63. You'll only regret buying it and end up resenting it when you see a v8 drive by

Which would be a waste of money as we all know the minute you got in your new car and drove down the road it lost £££ in depreciation

If you are happy with the size of your old fella leave the exhaust alone and enjoy your car...

After reading the posts on this thread it makes me wonder,phew! the guy was only asking a simple question and he gets sarcasm,it wasn't fair.

so this is for the sarcy people.
I have just bought a 2016 250d (oil burner) Sport (cause i can)and I think its hideous,with its fake exhaust trim and not so nice front end and not so nice front grill,forcing us to buy from them an upgrade.

I wouldn't pay the money for a c63 when it costs a fortune to run and half the people i know only take them out on a Sunday (trying to keep the mileage low for resale value in the future) and cant afford to run them,just for show and an ego boost for some I suppose :D

My plan for the hideous looking parts of the Sport is change as much of it as i can to make it look similar to a C63 without the running costs,high insurance and the price tag.

I will buy a amg line rear bumper (used) and fake c63 front end body kit with grill,along with fake amg tail pipes (these are all fake on the Mercedes nowadays) trim and skirt to insert into the used rear bumper,a fake boot spoiler,all to look like a C63 (at a glance) :devil:

I will then put the amg strip along the side,red trim on the mirrors and underside of grill,put red rim blades on my wheels (stock) and colour them black,with red callipers,this will make me happy when driving it :cool:

I will be driving my oil burner everyday,for cheaper,not having a care in the world about the mileage and enjoy the look (from people not in the know) give my car as it sits there at traffic lights or passing cars on the motorway,I dont give two flying f**ks for the people that know its fake or if a C63 pulls up alongside me,ill get the last laugh because I can ride my car daily and itll look good for a fraction of the cost and not give into MB ridiculous over priced accessory's to make it look just as fake as my car will be :D

A fox is just a dog in a red coat

Looking forward to any sarcasm

I will post pics as i do the conversion,for the people who are serious about trying it out themselves

but for now, heres a similar look of that ill be going for

View attachment 57304

View attachment 57305

View attachment 57307

Last edited:
My plan for the hideous looking parts of the Sport is change as much of it as i can to make it look similar to a C63 without the running costs,high insurance and the price tag.

You might find that you have the high insurance anyway (assuming you declare all the mods) ...

Your money, your car rangy, but have you seriously costed out how much genuine parts will be to turn your car into a look a like C63 even using 2nd hand bits?
If you don't use genuine parts it'll look like a dog, but that's your call.
I'll be interested if you are serious and look forward to seeing your efforts.

I can sympathise with some of your points Diesels do make economic sense but on the downside they do sound sh*te later models less so because they are hushed up inside and out and yes the top range cars do look good and lots try to emulate that look. Nothing wrong with a weekend car either but C63 is an expensive one I use my 320CDi on the commute and on long motorway journeys, its comfy its economical crucially as a worhorse it can tow my boat ( another V8) or my caravan and move furniture , but I really then enjoy getting in the V8 CLK at the weekend or in the evening, at the end of the day Nothing sounds as good as a V8 even Clarkson May & Hammond agree on that ,and most people will say a V8 sounds better than a V10 or a V12 .When I thought about about what I like most about mine it was the sound of the engine, everything else was secondary
But they are dying out now get an old MG ZT V8 or an Audi Or a BMW or a Jag or a CLK now before its too late and the only option is a V6 twin turbo fast yes looks good yes but it wont have that sound
But each to their own , no harm done

Hey Merc 85 how much was that exhaust ??? is it twin or quad pipes ?
someone on one of these forums took out the middle box on his 320CDI and it sounded good there was a vid of it as well but i cant find it
Boyd

rangy said:
After reading the posts on this thread it makes me wonder,phew!

I'm guessing by your post you've purchased the car outright, no finance. As if it was a hired car, you wouldn't be proposing all this work

So you've already spent X amount on the whole car. The works you have planned I don't even want to imagine the costs, parts, fitting, labour, spraying... Have you priced this all up?

I'm also interested to see the work in progress, or I could just google image a W205 c63, but I'm intrigued. Probably more interested in how much money you're throwing in at this to be honest

With the weekend thing, you'll probably find most the owners have other vehicles to use wether it's the other halfs or a company vehicle hence the weekend fun, although there are many that use them on here as a daily car

Just can't help but think sinking all that cash into a pretty much brand new car to look like another, you probably could've easily financed a c63 and had some change left over to cover the insurance and running costs

Last car I made look like it wasn't meant to be, was an XR3i into an RS turbo, got as far as the interior and smelt the roses and then just bought one, you never know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom