Exhaust tips.. Metal polish ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogbreath

Car
2005 E55K AMG
Hi
The tips on my exhaust look horrible, last owner must have never touched them so I was wondering what is best to get the black baked on stuff that's on the edges off. I've bought some Autosol but thought I would ask to see if there's anything better so I'm not doing it twice... Anything that may dissolve the muck first before using a polish ?
Cheers Lee

Back boxes have come up mint it's just the tips

Mine was in a similar state to urs when I first picked my car up.
This stuff brought them back upto a sparkling look.
Cheers
Ben :thumb:

Cheers Ben
At least it shows it can be brought back! I was bothered it had taken the chrome off. Best get cracked on with my polish and a bottle of that elbow grease stuff..!
Lee

I've never used a Brillo pad to be honest, I bought some super fine wire wool from B&Q.

Brillo pad will scratch the chrome. Much too coarse.

Fine wool will be OK and what I use on mine.

Scotch bright will also work well at braking down the coked up baked on soot
Then a good polish with chrome paste of T Cut will work but may take a bit more elbow grease
Cheers
Ben

Cheers guys
I'll wait until Sunday and buy the wire wool from B&Q.

Lee

White vinegar and fine wire wool also cleans them up good. Then polish with peek/autosol and fine wool.

Don't use a Brillo pad. I did that and found out the hard way that it scratches the chrome!

Hi some fine wire wool and t cut

I do mine the lazy way! Soak some strong kitchen roll in Wonder Wheels, or similar, then wrap the wet tissue around the parts you want to clean. Leave overnight. Remove.....and voila, with very little effort, all the crud wipes off, leaving gleaming bits on display! :D

Pete

Haha my kinda cleaning Pete....!

NOTE - You get many grades of wire wool - make sure you purchase fine/extrafine, comes in a single bunch or small easy to use "pads".

Autosol is really good.

Also, try "Silvo" it is similar to Brasso.

You know you have it bad - when you start to do the insides :crazy:

I do mine the lazy way! Soak some strong kitchen roll in Wonder Wheels, or similar, then wrap the wet tissue around the parts you want to clean. Leave overnight. Remove.....and voila, with very little effort, all the crud wipes off, leaving gleaming bits on display! :D

Sounds good to me - much prefer that to even mild abrasives.

Once you get them nice, a quick wipe with a damp piece of kitchen towel after a run plus an occasional polish with Autosol. These are mine:

With only purchasing the car last week i have the exhaust tips to do as well as the engine bay and i also may paint my brake calipers. So lots of elbow grease over the coming weekends.

Some nice Mercedes Exhaust tips done on this thread Guys.

No-one has mentioned oven cleaner.

Derek, I was thinking about that, the wife cleans the BBQ with this stuff that you cover the grills with and put in bags overnight and it brings all the burnt on crud off....come up like new.

Bill they look awesome, super clean.:thumb:

It seems never ending Ian, I've done the engine bay, I've just my new ic cooling box to polish up before it gets fitted.
Some great tips as you said for cleaning:bannana:

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom