Exhaust upgrade for a W216 CL500?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

topgun1978

Car
07 Merc CL500 (W216)
So the other day my CL decided to start blowing a little from the back end and I thought that sound wasn`t right. Took it to my indy and the left hand exhaust pipe had corroded and cracked near the clamp.

So options are:

1) Getting it welded - not a fan as the exhaust seems corroded all round so the welded bit may be very temporary

2) Getting a second hand stock exhaust and re-fitting - not found one yet as Merc are wanting £500 just for the left side exhaust and pipe but is on back order.

3) Getting a new exhaust system fitted - have been thinking about this for a while anyway so thought given the circumstances this calls for a mod to give a little more of a deeper exhaust note and a bit more growl on acceleration.

Option #3 is my preference (or my excuse to do it lol) so wanted to know options people have done to upgrade their exhaust note. I`m looking for a solution which will give me a nice deep note, not boy racer at all and is almost the same as stock on the motorway as I do a lot of mway driving so no drone is a must.

Welcome your comments guys and gals :)

I also have a set of brand new Brabus exhaust in the garage for w221/216
Which looking at only put smile on my face

I also have a set of brand new Brabus exhaust in the garage for w221/216
Which looking at only put smile on my face

Thanks guys for the replies.. Borys please IM me what you are looking for the CL63 and Brabus Exhausts you have... i might be tempted.

Personally I wanted to keep the single exhaust tip rather than going for the quad exhaust look, but maybe a larger one as I have the AMG rear diffisuer as per the CL63 which I`ve bought but not yet fitted. Like to be understated than in your face so maybe the custom fabrication route is the way to go by changing the pipes, X pipe and the exhaust tips?

For amg exhaust would like to get 450£
Brabus was just fitted onto my car and it sounds sinister, what a system!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’ve got standard exhaust on the car (cl500) and put cl63 mufflers (backbox) would it make a drastic difference to the sound ?

If you’ve got standard exhaust on the car (cl500) and put cl63 mufflers (backbox) would it make a drastic difference to the sound ?

I imagine he's probably sorted it out a year on...

Just asking in general, would putting the cl63 exhaust back boxes make much difference to the standard set up in term of noise?

Certainly makes a difference on E55Ks I've heard with CLS55K and C63 back boxes so I would think so.

You really need to listen to a CL63 taking off (ideally in the flesh) and compare it to a CL500 to see (and decide if you like it).

The only thing with back boxes is they can cause drone if you get it wrong so be aware of that.

I modified the exhaust on my E55K that I had but left the back boxes standard.

Had I been keeping it longer, I may well have fitted CLS or C63 boxes to it as they are just a bit louder respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom