Expected brake and tyre wear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
Hello folks,

This is my first Mercedes, so the wear and year of them is new to me.

After the first 12.5k miles, 1 year from new, my rear tyres were down to 1.9mm, yet the brake wear was reported at service as 20%. I understand that both types of wear aren't necessarily coupled, but they seem clearly related. The tyre wear seems high and the brake wear seems, pleasingly, low.

Is this the kind of wear your expect to see?

Car: S350d
Tyres: P Zeros MOE, not runflat

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

I think a lot depends on the way and where you drive.lots of town driving would cause wear of discs and pads.
I am a ????? Spirited driver. I get 5/6 thousand miles out of my rear tyres.:eek:

Mine from new was about the same as yours. Changed the back Continentals for Goodyears...I think better

I've read several times that factory fitted tyres on new cars are not the same as the ones we buy, even the exact same make and model of tyre. You can be sure car manufactures buy tyres in sufficient quantities have them made to their exact requirements.

Here a quote from someone who works in the tyre business:

....vehicle manufacturers spec their tires for good rolling resistance in order to get good fuel economy. That means that tread wear (which vehicle manufacturers don't guarantee) gets sacrificed. It also means that tires sold in the replacement market get better wear - but not as good rolling resistance.

I know for fact that on the Michelin factory that used to be by us, had a section that was for, as they called it, 'first line tyres' These were for direct supply to car manufacturers for assembly, the explanation that was given to me at the time was that the majority of people would just replace like for like, (on their new car) but they wouldn't necessarily be as 'impressed', let's say, with the replacements [emoji33] in other words they wouldn't be the same spec,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

when i bought my car (just over 2 years old) it had pirelli P Zero Rosso. With my journey out of the 37 ish miles 33/34 are a and motorway roads. Mine were bald in 9500 miles and i wasn't driving like a bat out of hell. Change the Make i use Goodyear asymmetric 3's and current milage would be around 14,16000 miles it may even be more as i do put winter tyres on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom