Expected delivery date

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rctaylor1966

Car
R172 SLK AMG Sport (2016)
Hi All,

Just wondering peoples experiences with 'expected' delivery dates on new cars, I suspect it will be bang on with typical german efficiency but maybe you know otherwise

Hi,

Not sure what you are after, but here is mine.

Last Merc - to the day on time.
Current Merc - one month early and I am making them wait.
Land Rover Defender - nearly a year late - seriously!
Fiat Abarth - 1 week early.
Fiat 500 - 2 weeks late.

I have had close to 20 new cars and the Land Rover was the worse.

Best includes Land Rover too (RR Vogue) and Mercedes - but mainly as that's what I had the most of.

What are you waiting for?

My e coupe has been put back by 2 weeks due to it being taken off production line for quality checks (that's what I've been told by dealer) but as it clashes with my holiday it will be a month late by time I can now collect.

My old man looked at an e class night thingy at the weekend and told him end of nov for build or can amend an ordered car by tomorrow. lets see if he orders it or goes for the new Jaguar XF

My e coupe has been put back by 2 weeks due to it being taken off production line for quality checks (that's what I've been told by dealer) but as it clashes with my holiday it will be a month late by time I can now collect.

Worked 20 years in car factories.. He is talking S**T.

Pretty much guessed that was the case, id never heard of it before. But if it doesn't turn up absolutely perfect I will ask him how it got passed the quality checks.

C Class ordered 8th May for a delivery in the 1st week in October, then 2nd week in October now 3rd week in October. The revised dates have only happened in the last 2 weeks.

Ordered C350e in March 2015, due Sept, then Oct, then Nov, then Dec and now next year so they say.

Not complete BS. Quite often after production they sit at factory for a while. We had a c class that sat at the factory for 3 weeks with no explanation. Normally it's only a couple of days though.

Rctaylor1966 said:
Hi All, Just wondering peoples experiences with 'expected' delivery dates on new cars, I suspect it will be bang on with typical german efficiency but maybe you know otherwise

Spoke to Salesman today, promised he would check and get back by end of day ..... No response yet.

Hopefully more info tmrw, was told 'expected' 15th October.when ordered in July. Just want to know so I can start getting insurance quotes etc

Just hoping this VW diesel situation hasn't affected anything as mine is a new EU6 engine/gearbox and I am wondering when Mercedes will get dragged in to it

My E350 was a month late. Problem in the production line and the dealer just couldn't find out why. Then another month delay, and then 2 days later it was at Zebrugger, and 3 days after that I picked it up.
Once it leaves the factory the dealer can track it. When it leaves the factory is a different matter. He'll have known the VIN for some time, so it isn't going to anyone else.

Not complete BS. Quite often after production they sit at factory for a while. We had a c class that sat at the factory for 3 weeks with no explanation. Normally it's only a couple of days though.

After 20 years in factories, I can tell the possible reasons.

1. Missing a part - waiting for deliver (likely)
2. Needs repair waiting for parts (see above)
3. No transport (not very likely)
4. Quality checks??!!! (never happens)

(Quality audits hold up about 5% of the cars for max 12 hours.)

Most cars are assembled and shipped in 24 hours. Time is money.
At anyone time manufacturers have tens of thousands of cars in inventory. The last thing they need is more.

If it is taken of the production line this could mean:

1. order never started due to production reasons (impending parts shortage)
2. started but stopped in body or paint due to known parts shortage in assembly.

Car manufacturer will usually build cars even if some small parts are missing (factories are expensive to run and very expensive to NOT run). Often they will delay the build when they know something significant is missing: for example.

1. Missing body parts - can't even build the BIW
2. Missing significant assembly - like no beige leather available - so why try to build it.
3. The "mix" of cars becomes unsustainable so some cars are delayed - 15% V6 engines suddenly becomes 30% V6 engines - engine factory can't react that quick so some cars must be delayed until engine production catches up or the V6 demand slumps.

I designed the production scheduling process and parts logistics process for Rastatt. Car manufacturing is basically a logistics operation which is occasionally interrupted by some car building.

Driver15 said:
Ordered C350e in March 2015, due Sept, then Oct, then Nov, then Dec and now next year so they say.

Mine has been delayed 2 weeks but they didn't know why, I was told I should be grateful t wasn't an E a Class Hybrid (think that what he said) as they are delaying by 6 months.

Was wondering if mine, being a diesel was delayed so they can change emissions related software, who knows

I'll pick my c200 on the 13th, 9 days delayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom