Expected lifespan of a B Class gearbox?

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Sunnybrae, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Sunnybrae

Sunnybrae New Member

Car:
    B Class 170
    Hi all,
    Would anyone know how long is reasonable for a manual gearbox in a 2007 B Class 170 Merc to last?
    Thanks
    Sunnybrae

2. Harlowcabbie

Harlowcabbie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes e220 w210
    Would have thought it's an almost impossible question to answer definitively to many factors to take into account but friend of mine has one with almost 200k on it and it's as smooth now as the day he got it. Of course driving style type of roads etc has to be taken into account he doesn't baby it around but also does a lot of motorway driving.

3. OP
    OP
    Sunnybrae

Sunnybrae New Member

Car:
    B Class 170
    Thanks, Harlowcabbie. Yes, I realise there's no definitive answer but I am hoping to gain a general consensus here. 200k is impressive.
    Kind regards
    Sunnybrae

4. HumberMart

HumberMart Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL500 4.7 twin turbo
    'Mean time to failure' is a well used factor that is applied to most 'machines'. So someone should in theory hold the data.

Another way to look at it is what would the norm be for the average gearbox, and if the B Class fell well short of that it would be fair to expect it to be MB's liability unless abuse in use could be argued.

A major failure of any well maintained gearbox under say 100K could be deemed to be a manufacturing defect.

5. panason1c

panason1c Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML270cdi, VW Polo 1.9 tdi, BMW K1200rs
    It'll certainly last a lot longer than an automatic would, thats for sure! (imo)

6. OP
    OP
    Sunnybrae

Sunnybrae New Member

Car:
    B Class 170
    Interesting you should say that...I have read elsewhere that MB auto gearboxes are very well built and the manual ones are less robust.
    I also asked 'Honest John' - his reply was 'the life of the car'. Do you think he means that the gearbox shouldn't go wrong before anything other major part wears out?
    Regards
    Sunnybrae

7. Harlowcabbie

Harlowcabbie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes e220 w210
    287k on my e220 cdi auto box and still smooth as silk . I have regular fluid change done on it every 25-30k which may seem abit ott but in my job it gets a lot of abuse.

8. Benzowner

Benzowner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
    No, I think he means when the gearbox fails, the car is dead. :D:D

9. panason1c

panason1c Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML270cdi, VW Polo 1.9 tdi, BMW K1200rs
    I agree that MB autos are well built but they are much more electronically and mechanicaly complex than a manual box and therefore more likely to present a problem over its lifetime than a manual would, all in my opinion.

I had to replace my auto box at 100k miles.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013