Expected Salary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DuFFmAn

I just got asked the dreaded question at an interview....

What is your existing and expected salary? :crazy:...

The job I applied for is for a graduate position in a large global firm. The original job advert states the salary as £18 - £22k.

I am a recent graduate so don't really know how to tackle a question like this... Currently my salary is below that and my current work experience does not reflect the job I've applied for. All I have is an educational background in the industry.

Also, does anyone know if the actual answer given reflects the salary given? I could probably understand the question being asked for a more senior role but not a graduate role...

Any thoughts and opinions appreciated...

:)

Mmm

Difficult one.

If you want to sell yourself into the position then you could be honest and suggest 20k with a performance review after 6 months to merit an increase to the upper level if things work out.

You are only worth what you will bring to the business in terms of financial return. At that level, they are looking for character and foresight rather than pure return IMO.

As LTD for a graduate position pitch it in the middle, hopefully they will think you are not being greedy and also think you are not undevaluing yourself, so you should come accross as well balanced.

If you are asked a direct question about your existing salary, then it makes sense to tackle it with a direct honest response; it also doesnt hurt to remind about any extras like bonus, or private healthcare, pension etc.

When asked about salary expectations - I tend to answer that although salary is important, I am looking for a role that will develope and challenge and that I simply want to be paid fairly for the role I am doing.

It is easier to negotiate salary later, when you know if really want you and an offer is on the table. HD

I wouldn't be afraid to go in at the higher end of that scale. If you say 18K then that is what they will probably offer you. The answer to this question is unlikely to influence their decision to offer you the job.

They probably wouldn't be discussing salaries unless they thought you were suitable.

If you are keen on the position, then I would say that you don't want the salary to be the deciding factor.

I'd put a question back to them, "You've seen lots of candidates... what do you think I'm worth?"

What I've always done, in graduate positions as well is to look on glassdoor to get an idea.

That said, before telling them what I expect, I would want an offer; so if I'm asked during and interview what salary I expect, I usually tend to say something ont he line of "I'm sure we can agree to a reasonable/fair salary based on the market average for <this sector> once we decide if I'm the right for for the role" (or something like "I'm sure companyX pays a fair/reasonable salary. We'll discuss money once we decide where I fit in the company"

M.

it's a typical "**** test" question, if the advert says 18-22k then when asked this question you say 22-25k, pause, say basic, of course.

anyone who asks this question is themselves a loser doing first line interviews, which are not real interviews, just **** tests...

What I've always done, in graduate positions as well is to look on glassdoor to get an idea.

That said, before telling them what I expect, I would want an offer; so if I'm asked during and interview what salary I expect, I usually tend to say something ont he line of "I'm sure we can agree to a reasonable/fair salary based on the market average for <this sector> once we decide if I'm the right for for the role" (or something like "I'm sure companyX pays a fair/reasonable salary. We'll discuss money once we decide where I fit in the company"

M.

Absolutely correct, if no indication of salary has been given.

However, if a salary range has been given, say £18k to £22k then it's up to you to decide how well you fit their requirements. If you just meet them at a basic level then say £18k but, being a quick learner and extremely adaptable I'd hope to progress upwards from that fairly quickly.

If you are a very good match for their requirements then say a higher figure but then justify this by reiterating the RELEVANT skills and experience. Don't forget, however, there is a world of difference between 10 years experience and 1 year of experience repeated 10 times.

As a final thought, don't forget that if you get the job they will see your P45 so will know what your last salary was!!

Last edited:
I got the job!!!!! ;)....

I don't know what the salary will be, but I'm not fuss at the moment!!...

I had two interviews for this job... At the first one, I said £19k... At the second I said £19'500... I think they noticed my figure changing!!! :D

Congratulations !

My answer - I could only answer that 6 months after you give me the job?;) You know the bottom line already--- its £18K If you really want the job you would take it for the minimum anyway. The secret is getting your foot in the door. ---- which I see you have done--- congratulations.:thumb:

Great news. Well done!!

Congratulations and well done!

Congratulations and I wish you well in your career. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom