expected service interval for a 5.5 tt engine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
V8 owners answer as a V8, V12 owners answer as a V12.

Call it overkill but I personally don't or won't let a high performance AMG engine go beyond 8k with engine oil service. Or yearly. I doubt I would ever do the 12.5 k in an AMG per year anyhow. These cars do get got when driven as that's there purpose to be a performance car. But I have my current car changed around 5/6k. Overkill to some but I personally think it prolongs engine/components.

It doesn't do it any harm that's for sure.
If you're not doing anything like 12.5k miles a year then annual changes are perfectly adequate for a road car unless the use pattern entails lots of short journeys that don't allow the engine and its oil to reach and maintain operating temperature. I think @Will pretty much nailed it in this post, above: if you’re averaging 1000+ miles a month then you’re probably be doing mostly longer journeys, and you'll be having a service at least once once a year anyway.

While the AMG engines are powerful, I'd point out that up to 100bhp / litre (which covers most of the V8's, with the exception of the newer 4.4L lumps) isn't that high in terms of specific power output, and they have a high oil capacity - typically 8L - which means the oil gets a relatively easy ride.

I agree that more frequent oil changes don't harm, and may help engine life, but if carried to the extreme like some Americans whose attitude is "I drive 20k miles a year and change the oil every 3k miles because its cheap" then it is wasteful of a finite resource.

Isn’t the oil Change schedule set to some extent because manufacturers warranty is 3 years so that the car will comfortably get through that period ?
I wonder if people who run taxis to intergalactic mileages would still keep the 12/15k oil change ?

I wonder if people who run taxis to intergalactic mileages would still keep the 12/15k oil change ?
My local taxi firm (who run their diesel E-classes to > 400k miles) certainly do.

If you're not doing anything like 12.5k miles a year then annual changes are perfectly adequate for a road car unless the use pattern entails lots of short journeys that don't allow the engine and its oil to reach and maintain operating temperature. I think @Will pretty much nailed it in this post, above: if you’re averaging 1000+ miles a month then you’re probably be doing mostly longer journeys, and you'll be having a service at least once once a year anyway.

While the AMG engines are powerful, I'd point out that up to 100bhp / litre (which covers most of the V8's, with the exception of the newer 4.4L lumps) isn't that high in terms of specific power output, and they have a high oil capacity - typically 8L - which means the oil gets a relatively easy ride.

I agree that more frequent oil changes don't harm, and may help engine life, but if carried to the extreme like some Americans whose attitude is "I drive 20k miles a year and change the oil every 3k miles because its cheap" then it is wasteful of a finite resource.

Like I have said it's a personal choice. Extra more frequent oil changes over the "specified" intervals is no harm at all in my opinion. If can only be a benefit to components/internals. For one the oil filter can be in a sad state after 12.5 miles of driving. Diesel's more so. I change our E320 CDI and my 63 more than the interval miles accumulated. It's once a year. Unless I have accumulated a significant amount of miles on each vehicle. Same with my work van have an oil service mid year or halfway on the recommended interval mile span. Works for me.

Isn’t the oil Change schedule set to some extent because manufacturers warranty is 3 years so that the car will comfortably get through that period ?
Sorry, but that sounds like BS to me. Anything to back this claim up? :)

I would also suggest that those who drive for a living tend to stick more to the manufacturer’s schedule than Internet forum enthusiasts with time to spare :D

This has been discussed before on other threads - how would it be in the manufacturer’s interests to set an unrealistic service interval if it led to issues? Poor reliability would affect future sales and brand reputation, and conversely to that point it would be in their interests to exaggerate the need for servicing to increase revenue from after sales - parts and labour wise with potential upsell for further work (eg brakes/tyres etc)

But to me the bottom line is this:

How many MBs suffer lubrication related engine issues as a result of sticking to manufacturers guidelines for oil changes? And even in the very unusual/small percentage of vehicles that would have such issues, can it be proven that changing the oil more frequently than 12 monthly would have prevented that?

I would also suggest that those who drive for a living tend to stick more to the manufacturer’s schedule than Internet forum enthusiasts with time to spare :D

This has been discussed before on other threads - how would it be in the manufacturer’s interests to set an unrealistic service interval if it led to issues? Poor reliability would affect future sales and brand reputation, and conversely to that point it would be in their interests to exaggerate the need for servicing to increase revenue from after sales - parts and labour wise with potential upsell for further work (eg brakes/tyres etc)

How many MBs suffer lubrication related engine issues as a result of sticking to manufacturers guidelines for oil changes? And even in the very unusual/small percentage of vehicles that would have such issues, can it be proven that changing the oil more frequently than 12 monthly would have prevented that?

VAG cars facing a single oil change in 3 years....significantly more expensive service costs in years 4&5.

I'm with Wighty that the cars are designed to minimise service costs during te 3 year rental, particularly for those cars aimed at the fleet / compay car marker

On a side note I have found early failures when having a mid term oil service. I might not have noticed this, did I not change the oil and filter. Can be a good chance to look things over also!!

VAG cars facing a single oil change in 3 years....significantly more expensive service costs in years 4&5.

I'm with Wighty that the cars are designed to minimise service costs during te 3 year rental, particularly for those cars aimed at the fleet / compay car marker
This thread isn’t about VAG though and what they do.

it’s about Mercedes intervals of 12 months (and was specifically about the 5.5 biturbo 12.5k interval originally!) :)

looked like a generic conversation to me.....;)
Thread is located in ‘AMG Lounge’
Thread title:

‘ expected service interval for a 5.5 tt engine?’

Doesn’t seem generic to me - but okay, VAG 3-year intervals here we go... ;)

The condition of an oil filter after 12.5 k to that of an 7/8k is rather significant I would say.

It can only be of "benefit" to the engine with more oil changes over the 12.5k intervals in my opinion.

Having such a supposed "great" engine in the 157. I would be more inclined to lessen the intervals MB recommend. Especially as most 157 cars on the forum have modifications also!!!!

More power/torque, mods, have a higher strain on components over standard car!!

At the end of the day it's a personal preference on oil change intervals. I'm more than happy with my decisions on intervals.

Unless they’ve actually become so badly blocked that they end up causing restriction leading to pressure drop, filters actually work better the longer they are left. There’s probably greater chance of introducing contamination into your engine the more times you remove and refit a new filter - as well as the human factor - over/under tightening stuff, debris getting into the engine when the filter is replaced, dry starts as the oil has to circulate and get up to pressure etc.

Mercedes-Benz and AMG know a thing or two about engines, I’m inclined to listen to their advice and 12 months/12.5k miles seems fine with the correct spec oil :thumb:

Moving the goal posts slightly. Tyre pressures dont allways be adhered to from owners that MB recommend. It's a personal choice at the end of the day. Your happy to go with the oil interval recommend times. Thats your opinion.

It's doesn't make it wrong to have a oil service in a less time frame. In my opinion it's a benefit. As like I said it can show early failure's on some occasions.

Tyre pressures have a range of inflation for different loads and driving circumstances. I don’t see the correlation with replacing oil or filters?

The service interval and recommended oil etc is not my opinion, it’s MB and AMGs specification. I’m happy to accept that they know what they’re doing - they designed and built these engines after all ;)

I suspect that changing the oil prematurely is a waste of money, and that it’s bad for the environment, and that there’s opportunities for stuff to go wrong every time someone works on a mechanical object - that’s my own opinion :)

As always, we do what make us comfortable. You’re welcome to do whatever you like with your own car - I suspect most people will stick to the manufacturer’s specification though.

Tyre pressures have a range of inflation for different loads and driving circumstances. I don’t see the correlation with replacing oil or filters?

The service interval and recommended oil etc is not my opinion, it’s MB and AMGs specification. I’m happy to accept that they know what they’re doing - they designed and built these engines after all ;)

I suspect that changing the oil prematurely is a waste of money, and that it’s bad for the environment, and that there’s opportunities for stuff to go wrong every time someone works on a mechanical object - that’s my own opinion :)

As always, we do what make us comfortable. You’re welcome to do whatever you like with your own car - I suspect most people will stick to the manufacturer’s specification though.

Bad for the environment like having a 5.5 litre engine isn't already 😂. You by all means go with your Supposed MB intervals.

I'm certain "most" people alter there tyres pressures when there onboard load changes from time to time. My point was we adjust the pressures to suit our own comforts. Not always going by the stated numbers!!

I'll stick with what works for me!!! Regarding engine oil intervals. And can only be of "benefit" to the engine overall.

If you were that environment bothered you wouldn't be hurling around in a 5.5 AMG.😉

I take your point , my thinking with most stuff is that if an oil requires changing at all , then changing it more often can only help (agreed it costs more to do this ) .
It is very hard to shift me from the view that cars and other machines and appliances are built to withstand the warranty period . Things are becoming more disposable after a shorter period of time .
Take the very recent filled for life gearbox situation , when the engineers designed that gearbox did they believe that the oil wouldn’t need changing , or did the bean counters say will the gearbox last 100k without an oil change . This resulted in the 37500k oil change being introduced , maybe because there was an unacceptable level of gearbox failures before the warranty period expired ?
If the bean counters get the final say on costs they will be the ones to adjust the oil change schedule to the lifespan they require , so that they can then sell you a new car .
If the engineer who designed the engine was asked to ignore the costs and set a schedule for oil changes , then it would not be the same one as the bean counters .

Bad for the environment like having a 5.5 litre engine isn't already 😂. You by all means go with your Supposed MB intervals.

I'm certain "most" people alter there tyres pressures when there onboard load changes from time to time. My point was we adjust the pressures to suit our own comforts. Not always going by the stated numbers!!

I'll stick with what works for me!!! Regarding engine oil intervals. And can only be of "benefit" to the engine overall.

If you were that environment bothered you wouldn't be hurling around in a 5.5 AMG.😉
My carbon footprint is fairly low to be honest. We don’t do a lot of miles PA in the family car (even fewer this year!), walk most places locally and I didn’t buy it new.

Did anyone mention that the 5.5 Bi-Turbo M157 is actually more fuel-efficient than the earlier 6.2 M156?

Tom, just because someone doesn’t agree with your own views, it doesn’t make them invalid. I stick with MB and AMG’s spec for oil changes and servicing in general - I am comfortable with that.

Change your oil every week if you like, I don’t think it’s necessary though! :)

I take your point , my thinking with most stuff is that if an oil requires changing at all , then changing it more often can only help (agreed it costs more to do this ) .
It is very hard to shift me from the view that cars and other machines and appliances are built to withstand the warranty period . Things are becoming more disposable after a shorter period of time .
Take the very recent filled for life gearbox situation , when the engineers designed that gearbox did they believe that the oil wouldn’t need changing , or did the bean counters say will the gearbox last 100k without an oil change . This resulted in the 37500k oil change being introduced , maybe because there was an unacceptable level of gearbox failures before the warranty period expired ?
If the bean counters get the final say on costs they will be the ones to adjust the oil change schedule to the lifespan they require , so that they can then sell you a new car .
If the engineer who designed the engine was asked to ignore the costs and set a schedule for oil changes , then it would not be the same one as the bean counters .
I think it’s all about a balance between what is sensible and what is not.

Most MB engines will outlive the car that they sit in, and that’s following the manufacturer’s recommendations for servicing.

I’m not aware of many sealed for life gearboxes for many years now? Certainly for the last two decades I am sure that most MB cars that I have owned were serviced with ATF changes at the dealership when due.

I don’t get the whole bean counter thing though. It seems to me that these days it’s quite the opposite - people are more bothered about the up-front cost of purchase, and seem to accept relatively large servicing costs (often paid for monthly on service plans etc).

But to steer this thread back on topic - a 12 monthly interval for engine oil, doesn’t seem excessive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom