expensive last weekend . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anarchy-inc

Car
C240
Last weekend the wife and I drive to mid-Wales for a weekend away without the kids. Very nice trip but whilst driving along a country lane, a pack of motorcycles came at me over the hill. Not being the smartest of riders, they were riding 2 abreast on a narrow lane. I had 2 choices, the edge of the road filled with potholes or running a few of them over. :devil: I chose the potholes and popped a tire immediatley.

Thought all was well on Tuesday after replaceing the blow out and then today the other tire ran flat. I never spotted the slow leaking gash on the other one and so was very lucky not to have it go on the motorway home or the on one of the multiple trips to London this week.

To top it all off, I think my catalytic converter is on it's way out . . . .

ARRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!! :mad:

I would have made them move. Motorcyclists......Hate the buggers. :mad:

I think it is something to do with crash helmets. They must stop the brain functioning properly. I know some really sensible, nice guys; that is until they get on their bikes when they just go stupid. :crazy:

Plodd said:
I would have made them move. Motorcyclists......Hate the buggers. :mad:

I'm surprised at you Plodd I really am....

Many a time I've had oncomming cars with this attitude head straight for me when the driver has plenty of room on their nearside.. often I see the road rage in their face as they do it, anger that a motorcyclist is 'making progress' through traffic.

You'd better watch out if you do it to me Plodd because I have a bit of a reputation of spinning the bike around and demanding an apology and teaching the driver the errors of their ways.

Being plodd though, you'd already know you were in the wrong though wouldnt you? :crazy:

An officer of the law deliberately endangering lives by 'Making' oncomming traffic move over and then boasting about it on a public forum... you deserve to have the book thrown at you!

Last edited:
Sp!ke said:

Many a time I've had oncomming cars with this attitude head straight for me when the driver has plenty of room on their nearside.. often I see the road rage in their face as they do it, anger that a motorcyclist is 'making progress' through traffic.

You'd better watch out if you do it to me Plodd because I have a bit of a reputation of spinning the bike around and demanding an apology and teaching the driver the errors of their ways.

Being plodd though, you'd already know you were in the wrong though wouldnt you! :crazy:
Typical plod - never there when you'd expect them - or when they could do themselves a service even by showing willing - never mind - roll on the pension eh?

BTW Anarchy, I dont mean to hijack your thread and it sounds like this bunch were behaving rather dangerously. You did the right thing, its a shame it cost you money but at least no-one was hurt.

Its just the thought of the carnage that would have ensued if this apparent "officer of the law" was driving instead of you.

It doesnt bear thinking about really.

Sp!ke said:
BTW Anarchy, I dont mean to hijack your thread and it sounds like this bunch were behaving rather dangerously. You did the right thing, its a shame it cost you money but at least no-one was hurt.

Its just the thought of the carnage that would have ensued if this apparent "officer of the law" was driving instead of you.

Ok, it's good that no one was hurt but it really does P**S me off big time. This was the sort of road that has no lane markings and as such I expected the riders to know better. The whole time on that road I had loads of other cars and 4x4s coming at us and it was never a problem. We were only going 35-40 the whole time especially round the bends but the crotch rocket riders were going MUCH faster. Funny thing is, later in the day we "met" a group of "traditional" bikers (Harley's and the like) and they were much more civilised.

Sp!ke said:

By the way Sp!ke, you do know what my transport at work is don't you?

For the record, this is the road, although not in the exact spot. It was near the crest of the hill you see in the distance. And, no, I did'nt take the pictures, my wife did.

wales01.jpg

A few more piccies . . .

Last edited:
Sp!ke said:

Being plodd though, you'd already know you were in the wrong though wouldnt you? :crazy:

An officer of the law deliberately endangering lives by 'Making' oncomming traffic move over and then boasting about it on a public forum... you deserve to have the book thrown at you!

I didn't really read through this the first time. I hope your comment was as tongue in cheek as mine. Firstly I have nothing to boast about as you put it because I wasn't there. And as for endangering lives, see first comment. And throw the book at me by all means mate but be ready to duck when it comes right back at you with interest.

Plodd,

I only hope your comments were tongue in cheek. The problem with forums is that its sometimes difficult to tell.

My worry is that your post appears to be advocating deliberately forcing vulnerable vehicles to change course/direction - a very dangerous manoever if ever I have heard of one.

If this wasn't what you were suggesting then you wouldnt mind elaborating a little as to what you really meant - afterall should someone follow your example, you wouldnt want blood on your hands would you?

If you ride a bike yourself then you know how vulnerable a biker is and I would have expected someone of your calibre to put a little more thought into the way your post could be interpreted before hitting the submit button.

Last edited:
I think we should stop this post, it is becoming wildy speculative about the rights and wrongs of the way people travel on the public highway in motorised vehicles.

I think the slander of nameless individuals in the motorcycle community is just wrong - stop the post.

The post also has potential to spiral into abuse between 2 members.

Really we should get back to slagging off "chavs," petty criminals and scroungers of the state (because that is what us good tax paying middle class folk find absolutely acceptable and naturally enjoy the freedom to do it).

We should also get back to blindly worshiping the female members of the forum, the girls are great btw, but if you have a look at the average replies per post you deffo get more attention if you're a girl here!

With my name I used to be lavished with replies and PMs until I went to a GTG and everyone got confused (I'm a 20 stone bloke with no hair!!!!). But this is human and it is life (to lavish me with replies and PMs that is).

Oh please be merciful with my post moderators, you may be tempted to move it to the lesser known feedback section, but below you will find i go back on topic.

For what it is worth, in my opinion, I would suggest (although i remain open minded), apologies if anyone gets offended, it seems that if evasive action was required by either the motorcyclists or the motor vehicle that cause 2 tyres to be damaged then (ahem) either or both parties were travelling too fast....

The Road Angel is great The Road Angel is great The Road Angel is great The Road Angel is great The Road Angel is great The Road Angel is great The Road Angel is great

hehehehehe

this post is meant to be a joke, or is it? it is a joke!

sasha said:
For what it is worth, in my opinion, I would suggest (although i remain open minded), apologies if anyone gets offended, it seems that if evasive action was required by either the motorcyclists or the motor vehicle that cause 2 tyres to be damaged then (ahem) either or both parties were travelling too fast....

My point exactley.

this post is meant to be a joke, or is it? it is a joke!

Is it? ;)

sasha said:
We should also get back to blindly worshiping the female members of the forum, the girls are great btw, but if you have a look at the average replies per post you deffo get more attention if you're a girl here!

Very true if you are a 'model' named SUE :)

Hopefully we are all mature enough NOT to get personal. Poor old 'Plodd' has a bit of a reputation. Spinning wheels away from traffic lights come to mind!

I am sure his remarks were indeed tongue in cheek and that is what he has kindly explained.

I am surprised that these bikers were riding two abreast especiallly on a country lane, not a responsible thing to do.

Regards to you all,
John

Last edited:
Is it? ;)[/QUOTE]

only way to ensure that a post is not stopped, moved or removed by mods these days is to pretend it is a joke

mods seem to think that because they volunteer their services that they therefore have divine rights - i guess i am missing the point and they do

but come on mods this post should really be stopped, we have already gotten into "wild" speculation about bikers and plodd's personality

let's get back to moaning / voting for blair

I am a moderator, would you like me to lock the thread :D

I dont think it needs locking because I am not going to let it get out of hand and neither is anyone else - hopefully .

I would have made them move as well..... The guy who swerved off the road could have killed an innocent family strolling down the lane.....the bikers are the problem. They weave in and out of traffic, drive up your backside at stupid speeds, constantly have a go at car drivers. How many times do you see bikers on a sunny day screamming along at race track speeds. A 14 year old boy was killed down the road from me by some dk on a bike....and all he was doing was trying to cross a busy main road on his push bike.... Go out there plod, set that gun of yours up, sneak up behind them, and zap the leather suited woofters...so leave plod alone I am right behind him ...

petef said:
drive up your backside

petef said:
Go out there plod, set that gun of yours up, sneak up behind them, and zap the leather suited woofters

petef said:
...so leave plod alone I am right behind him ...

;) Hello sailor!! ;) ;)

Hi Peter,
Please forgive my silly, non politically correct sense of humour. Now just lay down on my couch and tell me all about your problems......

Yes there are some motor bike riders that think they are on a race track and not the public highway, but without a shadow of a doubt the car driver is the biggest 'killer' of their fellow human beings.

As an ex bike rider I must confess to enjoying the freedom, the thrill, the enjoyment and satisfaction of riding a machine in a manner that it was meant for.

Off topic
Having said that I now speak from a platform of ignorance. I have never ridden any of these modern bikes, but I feel that they simply have far, far to much power. It is surely crazy to be able to purchase 'super car performance' for the price of a Lada, or Seat??

How many modern motor bikes will literally accelerate to speeds in excess of double the national speed limit?? Why, where is the need on our highways for this type of performance. I am not advocating motor bikes not capable of exceeding 90mph, I just think that the performance of modern bikes far out perform the capabilities of the average owner.

Insurance companies are not daft, just look at the premiums of these bikes.

Sorry for the sense of humour :rolleyes: and for perhaps drifting slightly off topic.

John

petef said:
I would have made them move as well..... The guy who swerved off the road could have killed an innocent family strolling down the lane.....the bikers are the problem.

While I agree that the bikers were the problem, if you look at the road (piccie above) you'll see that there was no chance of encountering any families strolling down the lane. Unlike some (most?) roads in Devon, these roads in Wales actually offer a great degree of visibility due to the lack of hedgerow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom