Expensive phone calls..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
My step-daughter is in transit back from Australia to the UK. She's currently on a 2 hour layover in Abu Dhabi.

My wife has been talking to her on the phone, to step-daughter's Australian cell phone which is currently roaming.

Can anyone think of a more expensive way of holding a conversation? Perhaps you have a friend on the ISS, or roaming on a sat phone somewhere in the Amazon basin.. :)

Cheers,

Gaz

Satellite phone on top of Mt Everest?

£££ for the phone call and ££££ for getting to the top of the mountain.

BTW Vodaphone Passport worked well for my sister when she was travelling.

Vodafone Going Abroad

Last edited:
I saw a guy on another forum recently who went abroad with his shiny new phone and came home to a bill somewhere north of £1600...

Don't set your phone to check your email every 5 seconds (literally!) and then go abroad... :doh:

To save money on long distance calls, have a look at www.0844calls.co.uk - would you believe it only cost us 1p/min to call our daughter on her Russian mobile when she was studying 2 hours south of Moscow a couple of years ago! We use it a lot for calls to Ireland, Spain, USA, Australia, Bahamas - both landline and mobiles.

Not as expensive as "Dad, I've bumped the car ......"

Not as expensive as "Dad, I've bumped the car ......"

What about "Dad, boyfriend and I want (?have) to get married!! My pension fund has been quivering for quite a while waiting for that one from dear daughter!!

Go on the internet when you're in mainland Europe.Always good for an expensive laugh.

What about "Dad, boyfriend and I want (?have) to get married!! My pension fund has been quivering for quite a while waiting for that one from dear daughter!!

You only got the one daughter ?

Lucky you ............ :(

You only got the one daughter ?

Lucky you ............ :(

The son made up for it - decided at short notice to get married - in South Africa! Try shopping for "mother of the groom" outfit in early December in UK when the wedding is top of summer time in South Africa (and less than a month away!) Then try getting flights for 3 (yes, he had to have his sister as one of the bridesmaids!) at short notice at that time of year...They alone cost over £4000. To add insult to injury, during the meal at the reception I'm told the bride's father will not be giving the traditional speech (family problems) so would I step in. I've already had a good sample of SA wines (father of groom, turn up, get pi****ed, go home!). Ah well, it was 10 years ago so I can (almost) laugh about it now.

ahhh .. my trusty skype wifi phone to the rescue :)

I use a sat phone when I'm in the Delta (Nigeria) - $10.00 call setup, + $0.15 per second......but I'm not paying !

Went to Oz in December/January for 3 weeks and forgot to switch off the 'push email' function on my iPhone! £400 and counting as it takes 3 months for all the bills to come in when you've been abroad. Funnily enough calls were not expensive but downloading my emails was, lesson learnt!

Expensive calls?? How about this for pound for pound value....NOT!!!

Wife rings me on my mobile from home for 20 minutes: £1.42
Wife rings friend in Virginia USA for 40 minutes: £1.26

I ring 118 SHAFT YOU for less than a minute: £1.00

:mad:

Try calling from somewhere in the Pacific...

like Vanuatu
Your standard mobile phone call gets routed via Australia, USA, Greenland and then to blighty..or you could use a sat phone, plus it costs at least £1700 in economy to get there in the first place,

The worst bit.. it takes 39 hours to get there..how much does your own time cost you?

vanuatu - Google Maps

Of course all of these figures in this thread will change with the advent of Space flights with Mr Branson..

My OH rings her mum , her sister , her aunt , her best friend pretty much every night and tends to be on for between 30 mins to 1 hr per call .

I ring my mum , my sisters , my daughter maybe once a week and tend to be on for 5 mins , 10 mins , maybe 15 mins at a push .

What is it that women find to talk so much about ?????

One of our Directors put his SIM in his helicopter. He didn't even make the call, just received. 27 minutes long and was charged over £500.

One of our Directors put his SIM in his helicopter. He didn't even make the call, just received. 27 minutes long and was charged over £500.

Sorry , don't understand that one ?

Airwolf. Gotta be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom