Experience of a Russian MB dealer!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
Well, yesterday I took test drives in a GLA and GLK at our newly opened MB dealer in Vladimir, Russia. ??-???????? - ? ???????? - ? ???

As you'd expect, the dealership is exactly the same physically as the ones in the UK, spacious, lots of glass and the standard MB style. Also, this one has tree lined drives and lots of plants and flowers in the front area.

But the big difference is the attitude of the staff. Soooo friendly! I honestly have never been in an MB dealer and felt so respected. UK dealers, take note! These guys are WAY better than you at customer care!

So, the reason for going there aside from curiosity was to try the new GLA and also the GLK as I've never been in one even.

First the GLA. In a few words, I liked it a lot. For me, it was plenty spacious enough despite a very sloping a pillar. Some of the palstics around the central console are a little suspect, but overall, very nice inside. The test car was a 250 petrol and the "basic" spec, but still was nicely equipped with leather (maybe artico?) reverse camera etc. They didn't have a diesel as not many people buy them,. but the 250 petrol was certainly quick enough and a very refined engine. I think oddly, the 200 or 220cdi would probably suit the car's character better, but I'll try that when I'm back in the UK.
As for handling - very good! The test car had the "comfort" suspension and was possibly the best riding MB I've experienced! Very nice indeed!

Suffice to say, the GLA is topping the Toyota replacement list right now! :)

Now to the GLK, which is a car I would buy in Russia if I lived there or at least spent more than just a couple of months a year so the car didn't spend most of it's life in the garage!

It was a lot bigger than I imagined, especially inside and actually felt a bit higher quality than the GLA, despite having a similar style of dashboard and console area. The test car again was a 250 petrol and felt very similar to the GLA, if slightly slower, due probably to the extra weight. But, still more than good enough for hacking around Vladimir streets!! It's ride was much harder and SUV like than the GLA and over holes and rough roads was very stiff and jarring. Not bad, but also not as comfortable as you might expect.

It's a shame it was never engineered for RHD as I reckon the GLK would have been a storming success in the UK - possibly more so than the GLA will be as the style is definately more boxy SUV than "sports crossover" as the GLA is.

So, a GLK for Russia and maybe a GLA for UK. Nice!

Altogether a great day and even SWMBNO enjoyed the experience! :D

The GLA250 4 Motion I tried was 1,500,000 rubles which is currently about £25,000. I think that's actually a bit lower than UK price, which is amazing as Nissans and Fords are higher than UK!

Edit- could be due to the very strong sterling rate of course! I'd forgotten that! Earlier in the year the pound was 45 rubles, now its 60!

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the UK is getting the GLK in 2005 - not sure how reliable the info was, I spend far too long on Wikipedia...

I saw one earlier this year in Canada. Not sure about the shape of the car from the 4-5 o'clock corner, but I guess it will grow on me the more I see it (It took me 3 years to like the W204 and I still don't like W164 - but that's just me!)

A friendly salesman? Never! He must have thought you were KGB.....

I read somewhere that the UK is getting the GLK in 2005 - not sure how reliable the info was, I spend far too long on Wikipedia...

Looks like its 9 years late already. I'll not hold my breath.

Looks like its 9 years late already. I'll not hold my breath.

LOL - I meant 2015........

LOL - I meant 2015........

Yes, it is coming here next year, the new gearbox/transfer case enables a RHD configeration now, its been a very long wait!

I have always admired the look of the GLK on EU jaunts......but the driving experience does sound a bit off putting, I hope they tune it better for UK roads and soften that USSR hard suspension, probably to cope with the copious wieght of the guns and ammo carried around in the trunks there.....black with full tinted glass of course! :eek:

Tried the GLA recently but found it a bit small for me as I am just over 6ft but it was very nice indeed. Now though, the GLX looks very interesting, I too can see it being a big hit over here!

Attachments

• Mercedes-Benz_GLK_250_4MATIC_Sport-Paket_AMG.jpg
    Mercedes-Benz_GLK_250_4MATIC_Sport-Paket_AMG.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 26
I feel, for balance, I should say that when I first got the little 15 year old SLK, I went to the Preston dealership with some shyness to ask what the colour was called. I was met by a friendly older salesman who told me all about the Designo Colours and how having that colour would have cost more than I paid for the car. He also told me a little about the purchaser of a more standard sized Mercedes in that colour who still has and runs that car. I thanked him for the information and he said at least he could give me a tax disc holder as the one I had then was so untidy. I had intended to see if I could purchase a new one as I like things to be tidy.

I thought this was a nice conversation and it was patently obvious I wouldn't be buying a car from him or having her serviced there.

..... he said at least he could give me a tax disc holder as the one I had then was so untidy. I had intended to see if I could purchase a new one .....

Come October, he's probably going to have so many tax disc holders he won't know what to do with them.....

Still - nice to know you got good treatment there. Sadly, I didn't, even though I bought my W204 from them. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw.....

True about the tax disc holders (this was in May 2013). And I agree about the luck of the draw - I had such appalling service when I bought my 3rd Toyota and the family's 6th in 1995 that I changed to Honda. I won't name the dealership as it's irrelevant here, but sure you know it!

I too have had mixed results with Toyota dealers. Some are very good and one particular group (that shall remain nameless, but are big in my general area) are serious carp!

I too have had mixed results with Toyota dealers. Some are very good and one particular group (that shall remain nameless, but are big in my general area) are serious carp!

I have never had as poor service as our local Toyota dealer anywhere...

Number of years ago the wife and i went to test drive/buy an MR2 (we had booked a week in advance). Basically the salesman looked us up and down and told us to go and look at the price list!! (we were 28 at the time and were reasonably well dressed) Suffice to say we didn't get to talk to anyone, let alone get a test drive.

Had a test drive booked in an MX-5 three hours later. Walked in, the salesman passed us a set of keys and said "Off you go, bring it back in an hour and there's a third of a tank of petrol in it. Mind the speed cameras!"

Paid cash for a brand new MX-5.....loved it!!

My experience with Toyota dealers is OK too.

I'm looking at changing my LC at the moment and they are a bit... pushy - but hey, it's their job to sell cars.

Now to the GLK, which is a car I would buy in Russia if I lived there or at least spent more than just a couple of months a year so the car didn't spend most of it's life in the garage!

It was a lot bigger than I imagined, especially inside and actually felt a bit higher quality than the GLA, despite having a similar style of dashboard and console area. The test car again was a 250 petrol and felt very similar to the GLA, if slightly slower, due probably to the extra weight. But, still more than good enough for hacking around Vladimir streets!! It's ride was much harder and SUV like than the GLA and over holes and rough roads was very stiff and jarring. Not bad, but also not as comfortable as you might expect.

It's a shame it was never engineered for RHD as I reckon the GLK would have been a storming success in the UK - possibly more so than the GLA will be as the style is definately more boxy SUV than "sports crossover" as the GLA is.

I saw one earlier this year in Canada. Not sure about the shape of the car from the 4-5 o'clock corner, but I guess it will grow on me the more I see it (It took me 3 years to like the W204 and I still don't like W164 - but that's just me!)

I rented a GLK in the states in July for 2 weeks. Great car, obviously it was on the american suspension setting, so very wafty. Extremely car like to drive though, decent sized boot, and agree that it felt bigger inside then expected from outside. I should clarify that another car I had for 3 weeks was a Cadillac SRX so anything would have felt car like compared to that lump of jelly.

However, all done and told, I would 100% have a GLK in the UK, if they do release it at £30k its well worth considering, and I predict that they're going to sell a shed load.

I fear that the UK market may not get the GLK as it might take sales away from the ML and GLA? I suppose they could jack up ML prices to create a pricing gap a bit like they increased the E coupe prices when the C Coupe appeared?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom