Experience with Comand Dynamic Routing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DieselE

MB Enthusiast
Car
W211 E320CDi
Travelling from Lake District to Midlands yesterday in the appalling weather conditions, I had my first real experience of dynamic route management.

First the little lady told me to take the next exit off the M6. As the screen was full of little red cars I took her advice. I had literally just pulled out of the queue of traffic when I got the "your route is being recalculated due to current messages" and got told I should have stayed where I was. :mad:

In the real world and pouring rain, trying to rejoin a motorway from the exit slip road is not the most sensible of options so I left the motorway. The lady then sulked for two minutes "recalculating route" leaving me wondering where the hell was the best way to go. My good old paper Phillip's Navigator motoring atlas was safely locked in the boot. After a few minutes, I was directed to "make a U turn if possible" and was sent back onto the M6 half mile further back in the queue than I was before.

Further down the motorway, I was directed onto the M56 (due to current traffic messages). No prizes for guessing what happened at the first exit. Yes, U turn and back to the M6.

I was determined to ignore both the little lady and my wife who was really helping with comments such as "This system isn't any good is it??" but the rain stopped and traffic started to flow again.

Does anybody have any better experiences?

DieselE said:
Does anybody have any better experiences?
"Caution! Traffic disruption!"

I have used the tailback button a few times and it's always worked perfectly! Sign says long delays between certain junctions, dial up a 10 mile detour, leave the motorway and rejoin a completely empty motorway after the holdup! :D

EDIT: I should add that TMC only advises me to leave the motorway when it's actually closed, otherwise it just tells me "traffic disruptions on route" (enroute?) and then lets me sit there in stationary traffic for hours.

Last edited:
Peter,

I have had similar experiences to you but I have also been saved the agony of many jams on my way to London along the M4.

In my view its not the TMC functionalilty of the COMAND, but the quality and timings of the TMC messages that cause the problems.

My only real gripe with the TMC is that the red/yellow cars appear on the wrong side of the road

My experience with TMC has been very good. Very occasionally the timings of the messages are a bit slow.

I regularly travel beween the West Midlands and Leeds, around Manchester. TMC has helped me a lot more than it has hindered me and I would be lost (though not literally:eek: ) without it.

With regards to the cars being on the wrong side of the road, they are correct on mine. What version do you have?

steve.link said:
My only real gripe with the TMC is that the red/yellow cars appear on the wrong side of the road

I had this, but a flash update (FOC at dealer) solved it.

steve.link said:

Do you still get this ??

I don't .. I think it went away when the AGW was updated (april) on my A class. (which would tally with Jeremy and his C class)

But you have an E class (different map disk to A/B/C/CLK/...). Have you switched to map 5.1 yet ?

Cheers
Richard

The wife once ignored the TMC warnings and remained on a motorway and was quickly stuck in bumper to bumper non moving traffic for over an hour. Apart from that the TMC has been very quiet.

John

richard said:
I don't .. I think it went away when the AGW was updated (april) on my A class. (which would tally with Jeremy and his C class)

Cheers
Richard

It was my E that had the flash upgrade.

steve.link said:
Peter,

I have had similar experiences to you but I have also been saved the agony of many jams on my way to London along the M4.

In my view its not the TMC functionalilty of the COMAND, but the quality and timings of the TMC messages that cause the problems.

I think the cars are on the correct side in my car. The only reason for saying "I think" is at one stage yesterday there was a line of yellow cars on my side of the M6 but we were moving fairly freely but the other side was stationary because of an accident. I think that may just be a problem with the speed of updating TMC.

If I'm kind to the system, yesterday was a real test of any dynamic system. The clouds opened with virtually no warning and chaos ensued very shortly afterward. It's the first time I've had to put the wipers on double speed when stationary so that I could see if the car in front moved!!

As an interesting aside, pouring water over the sensor as happened yesterday seems to confuse the rain sensing wipers.

DieselE said:
As an interesting aside, pouring water over the sensor as happened yesterday seems to confuse the rain sensing wipers.

I find very few types of rain that don't confuse my rain sensors!

jeremytaylor said:
I find very few types of rain that don't confuse my rain sensors!

Ter-rain creates no significant problems :D :D

Sorry about that, no sleep for a couple of days,

John

Dynamic routing worked perfectly for me in Germany (V4.1). Seems pretty feeble here in Blighty on V5.1. But then, there is hardly any data to speak of and it doesn't seem to be updated regularly enough.

Frequently, when I see a traffic problem marked, moments later when I glance back at the screen, it's gone! What's all that about?

Having had V5.1 for 4 months, I think my overall impression is "craptacular". I lay the blame firmly at the door of the paucity of data.

Philip

richard said:
Do you still get this ??

But you have an E class (different map disk to A/B/C/CLK/...). Have you switched to map 5.1 yet ?

My HU software is 15/04 and I have disk VER5.0.

I am told the software upgrade to 51/05 removes accessto the "hidden" menus which I don't want to do and Disk VER5.1 only has updated dealer POI information.

There is also a software upgrade for the Navi unit in the boot but I don't know if this has been done.

As I said it all seems to work OK apart from the icons on the wrong side of the road so I'm reluctant to mess with it.

I have asked my dealer what are the correct software versions and what are the differences between them and thy have no idea whatsover!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom