Experiences picking up a new car on 1st March? At Grimsby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
The dealer in buying from were keen to point out said they'll be very busy. They've back-to-back 30 minute pickup slots all day and I picked one. Curious on members experiences getting a new car on this day.

* Do all the things happen that you would get when normally buying a new car at a dealer normally, just condensed or rushed?

* Or were some things missed, that you can advise members to catch and perhaps insist on ?

* Coincidentally any members use Grimsby Mercedes and/or will be there on the 1st?

I can't give any advice about the pickup except to say that the full handover process, including demonstration of all the car's features is between 90 minutes and 2 hours so I hope they're not trying to squeeze that into 30 minutes...

In my experience these events happen as you'd like them to happen. If you like them to take the time, I'd definitely choose another day. But then again if you don't want them to read the manual to you then it might be a good day to quickly disappear.

Despite being in the UK for over 20 years, I still don't get this fascination with those days. Most peculiar to me.

Buying a new S would require no more than an hour I would say. It's quite intuitive.

Me on a rental car pick up:

"Where does the ignition key go? It's all right, I'll work out the rest as I go along." 30 seconds tops and I'm away..

Cheers,

Gaz

I can't give any advice about the pickup except to say that the full handover process, including demonstration of all the car's features is between 90 minutes and 2 hours so I hope they're not trying to squeeze that into 30 minutes...

90 minutes to 2 hours? Jeeze, I'd be going spare...

Grimsby is my local dealer, and I've bought 7 cars from them in the last 8 years.

Our relationship was first class until my favorite sales guy, Nigel, moved to the Boston branch, some 3 years ago I think.

Since then I've experienced the lowest of the low, but more recently they've been doing their best to recover my loyalty, so I can't find too much to fault in recent months.

Things have changed though in the last couple of years. They seemed to have transitioned from a small and friendly outlet that had time for you, and room to park!! to something more akin to a car supermarket in a rush hour, lucky if you can find a place to park, and clogged up with 'Drivethedeal' type internet sales it seems.

Despite the above, I find the Grimsby branch of Listers better than Hull or Lincoln. The Hull branch I find particular disrespectful to customers, and staffed with types that must have failed the induction at Carphonewarehouse and the likes.

They are at least trying at Grimsby, and seem to have some understanding of customer care.

90 minutes to 2 hours? Jeeze, I'd be going spare...
Bearing in mind the number of rudimentary RTFM questions we get on here from apparently intelligent people, perhaps they would have benefitted from a proper handover instead of winging it on the basis that "I'll pick it up as I go along"?

Bearing in mind the number of rudimentary RTFM questions we get on here from apparently intelligent people, perhaps they would have benefitted from a proper handover instead of winging it on the basis that "I'll pick it up as I go along"?

How complicated can any car be?

I've only had one issue in hire cars... I can't remember what it was - but did have to google the location of the fuel lever...

The Hull branch I find particular disrespectful to customers, and staffed with types that must have failed the induction at Carphonewarehouse and the likes.

Ah yes, Hull. UK City of Culture 2017.

How complicated can any car be?
Judging by some of the questions I see posed on here, some features are apparently not as intuitive as they might be. Either that or we have a special group of cerebrally challenged members :doh:

A good proportion of the population seem incapable of following the most rudimentary written instructions to achieve pairing of their phone with a car's head unit; A multitude of people drive around in fog with no lights on because they don't grasp that the "automatic lights" detect darkness, not poor visibility; people set the temperature to max on the climate control system when they get into their cold car because they expect it to warm the cabin more quickly. How many more examples do you need?

The dealer in buying from were keen to point out said they'll be very busy. They've back-to-back 30 minute pickup slots all day and I picked one. Curious on members experiences getting a new car on this day.

* Do all the things happen that you would get when normally buying a new car at a dealer normally, just condensed or rushed?

* Or were some things missed, that you can advise members to catch and perhaps insist on ?

* Coincidentally any members use Grimsby Mercedes and/or will be there on the 1st?
If I recall correctly, they are one of the top CarWoW suppliers, I expect this would up the footfall.

Judging by some of the questions I see posed on here, some features are apparently not as intuitive as they might be. Either that or we have a special group of cerebrally challenged members

I make a judgment based on my familiarity with the car. I spent over an hour on the detailed part of the handover when I switched to BMW. I wanted to go through the iDrive and other facilities in detail.

A good proportion of the population seem incapable of following the most rudimentary written instructions to achieve pairing of their phone with a car's head unit;

The quality of the manuals supplied varies. And they are typically bloated with loads of material that doesn't apply which can make them a bit of a maze.

Of the cars I've had it's MB and VW who have had the best manuals. BMW worst by a distant mile.

I make a judgment based on my familiarity with the car. I spent over an hour on the detailed part of the handover when I switched to BMW. I wanted to go through the iDrive and other facilities in detail.
I adopt the same approach. When I purchased my first MB I took the view that I didn't know what I didn't know, so took the opportunity to listen and learn. With my second and subsequent cars I've asked that they concentrate on the differences from what I've had before. Anything that's unfamiliar to me that they don't mention, I ask about.

I find it baffling that people pay premium prices to buy cars and consumer goods that are highly functional, yet they use perhaps only a fraction of the total functionality available to them because they either don't know it's there at all, or they can't be bothered to learn how to work it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the 'give me the keys I'm off' camp.

Part of the new car enjoyment for me is discovering new stuff in my own time.

The basics are the same for all cars, brakes, gears, steering and so on. It tends to just be the gimmicks that need reading up on.

How else would second hand car dealers possibly function?

A valet parking attendant gets no handover. To anyone with a hole in their behind the car is driveable. Do this. Mug up on the other stuff if you feel the need over a bottle of something nice. Save obsequious sales people puffing smoke up your derriere for someone else. Or did you buy the car for the obsequious salesman who puffed smoke up your behind?

If you did then don't come running to the forum when they charge a lot for the servicing. The coffee and cakes and plate glass costs, you know. As do the pretty girls in tight skirts.

Written by a guy who liked garages to be just that. Not a bloody customer experience. Jeez, until it's thirty years old just an expensive washing machine.

Is this what they call trolling. I always liked ***'s photos.

I adopt the same approach. When I purchased my first MB I took the view that I didn't know what I didn't know, so took the opportunity to listen and learn. With my second and subsequent cars I've asked that they concentrate on the differences from what I've had before. Anything that's unfamiliar to me that they don't mention, I ask about.

I find it baffling that people pay premium prices to buy cars and consumer goods that are highly functional, yet they use perhaps only a fraction of the total functionality available to them because they either don't know it's there at all, or they can't be bothered to learn how to work it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get bored quickly - especially when I see the person doing the instructions struggle and I start to guide them on how to connect my phone myself ;) Which is exactly what happened when I picked up my GL class. They hadn't got the foggiest themselves about the advanced systems in the vehicle. But then again they don't drive it daily either do they ;)

It was also annoying I had to highlight to them that the cables weren't in the car to connect to the Command system etc.

It is so easy to be prepared in advance and get to know these kind of things opposed to see a person who isn't a skilled trainer trying to figure it out themselves.

On collecting my L200 I was glad I asked them to pair my phone and make a test call to check it was working - they had forgotten to fit the microphone in the vehicle:doh:

In our e-class, half the manual is in Comand. Not sure which I prefer, printed manual or digital. I don't like the combination of the two though

I've read about 1/4 of the manual so far and all the bits I really want to know from day 1, and will try and get to the rest before I pick it up, all at my own leisure. I'd just prefer to RTFM before I get the car, rather than after.
Having said that Grimsby offered a short or long drive and handover and as it is so packed with technology I preferred the longest. Will see though with those 30 min slots! Nonetheless I'll keep my eye out for the tea and biscuits and pretty women in tight skirts!

I got near enough zero handover - it was also 1st March (and a Sunday). Lots of people collecting their cars.

He showed me the important stuff. Fuel, parking brake, gear selector. And I was on my way. Had a few questions after driving the car for a while - either the manual or Google answered them all for me.

I didn't pay list price so I didn't expect the 'reveal', champers, flower bouquet or gold umbrella.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom