Expert valuer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajb

Hi guys

As part of a Court case I have on against a dealer, I need to get some "expert" valuation of how much my SL should have been worth a few years ago. None of the dealers are interested in helping. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Andrew

The car is grey market so this may make things a little more complicated?

not really...

If you mean its a european import, I cant see how that affects its value.

Agree.. imports from EU have stigma associated with it, but some of the most genuine peeps i know buy their cars (or should i say bought their cars) in belgium or Germany, got a UK spec assigned or not, and then saved a packet and brought them over here..

the eu cars are the same, just mild variations in spec, but generically, there should be no difference as Jay says!

from my understanding there is no requirement to disclose if it is UK or not.. but i could be wrong..

is it possible to define to us what the case you have is? or are you not able to disclose details

If you're trying to claim against the dealer because the car is an import and you weren't told this at time of sale, my advice would be to forget it. I had a similar thing happen with a Volvo I bought many years ago and local trading standards effectively told me the car was as described and that there should be no difference between an import and a UK car as long as it complies with UK regulations.

At the time personal imports from Europe were popular[in particular considerable saving could be made on high end models] there was a period where the warranties differed from country to country and some engine-trim/equipment levels varied markedly in different markets. UK models often being more highly specc'd and thus more expensive to buy in the UK. Unless there are major differences in your car to UK models its doubtful you would have a case. Stick your vehicle VIN number in here Çàï÷àñòè Mercedes-Benz: Êàòàëîã îðèãèíàëüíûõ çàï÷àñòåé and get its factory spec Then try to find a similar UK spec car chassis no and compare them. If you care to post the spec details of your car forum members owning similar vehicles might care to comment on any apparent major differences??

I imported an A Class from France in 2000. I went to great lengths to ensure the spec was the same as a UK Avantgarde.
In reality, it had a couple of extras that were standard in France but not UK and the warranty was 1 year only. Purchase price was about 75% of best UK price I could get at the time.
When I sold it I seem to recall there was something in the paperwork (from when I registered it in the UK) which required me to advise the buyer that it was imported.
At that time main dealers suggested that as an import it was worth less than a UK car. It seemed to be that they would offer less to buy in an "import" but were happy to retail the "import" at full UK value.
Surely the spec/mileage/age apparent at time of sale is the deciding factor when deciding to buy, not the country of first sale. Unless standard spec in that original country of sale perhaps had hidden differences such as different levels of rustproofing

I imported an A Class from France in 2000. I went to great lengths to ensure the spec was the same as a UK Avantgarde.
In reality, it had a couple of extras that were standard in France but not UK and the warranty was 1 year only. Purchase price was about 75% of best UK price I could get at the time.
When I sold it I seem to recall there was something in the paperwork (from when I registered it in the UK) which required me to advise the buyer that it was imported.
At that time main dealers suggested that as an import it was worth less than a UK car. It seemed to be that they would offer less to buy in an "import" but were happy to retail the "import" at full UK value.
Surely the spec/mileage/age apparent at time of sale is the deciding factor when deciding to buy, not the country of first sale. Unless standard spec in that original country of sale perhaps had hidden differences such as different levels of rustproofing

In contrast, I bought a UK specification, A-class from a main dealer in 1999 for £17k.

6 months later Trade Sales had imported dozens and were selling them for 2/3rds of the main dealer price.

In 2000, when I tried to get rid, the main dealer offered me £9k. :eek:

This was because it was worth no more than the part ex value of an import.:doh:

I part ex'd it for a new golf instead, which was a better car and was given a value of £13k and a fair deal on the golf.

HD

Hi guys

As part of a Court case I have on against a dealer, I need to get some "expert" valuation of how much my SL should have been worth a few years ago. None of the dealers are interested in helping. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Andrew

Of course we do not know the nature of the claim - but I am not sure what the relevance today would be of what your SL should have been worth several years ago? If you are claiming today then there may be relevance in what it is and should be worth TODAY but not several years ago surely?

We're all going off topic...

but another issue would be insurance premiums. Insurance companies always ask if it is a UK spec or imported.

I would get quotes for the same car with it being UK and EU spec, if there is a difference then that is a direct loss.

I suppose you need to find some way of showing that an imported car is less desirable and consequently worth less. The Insurance thing would be one factor.

Maybe also try back-issues of Auto Trader?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom